• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated series

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I've had it up to here with series that everybody has seen. You could fill a swimming pool with the number of Death Note-related threads in this forum. Let's discuss good stuff that people might not know about. I can't think of anything particularly obscure, so I'll let someone else start.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
Meh @ Death Note. FLCL maybz? Or maybe the movie Tekkonkinkreet. Or Paprika. Haven't seen threads on any of those...I'm sure there are plenty of good series-es that haven't been touched

Last edited:

Finnel

Years
(The) Slayers, fantasy anime from the 90s. One of the best animes I've seen, but not many people know about it since it's a bit old. When people ask me what anime they should watch, I always recommend this one. It's funny, nicely animated and has a good plot. The last two seasons (Try and Revolution) weren't that good though.
The original novels are great as well, I have all 8 volumes that were translated by Tokyopop.

kohei

Pizzaman.
Years
Tokyo Akazukin
Dorohedoro
Blame! and Biomega (bunching these two, since Nihei seems to hint some continuity between them)
The three listed above needs mention for those who like action (laced with lolis for Akazukin, laced with humor for Dorohedoro.)

Also if you want an autobiographical manga that isn't about a successful figure, Shigeyuki Fukumitsu's Boku no Shokibo na Seikatsu is freaking awesome.

If you are into religion/religious humor/Johnny Depp, Saint Young Men by Hikaru Nakamura is great.
The two protagonists are Jesus and Buddha living in Japan after the millennium was over, and they needed a break from heavenly duties.
If you can live with the Japanese yaoi fangirls, this series is a read as well.

Bay

Years
Baccano! A really crazy but fun and exciting anime. There's all kinds of characters from 1930s gangsters, immortal people, thieves, insane killers, and a whole bunch more. Despite a huge cast and hard to relate to them because of the fast pace of the events, after getting used to the series you'll like them a lot. Speaking of events, they actually don't come in order, but that's the fun part of the series as you'll have a great time trying figure out which event happened first. :P Also, the background music is awesome if you're into jazz meets pop kind of music.

Another one is Black Cat. Like Baccano, the anime also has a variety of characters from assassins, bounty hunters, scientists, thieves, people with superpowers, and bio weapon clones (yes, a bio weapon clone :P ). The action is good but quite fast paced (someone mentioned that also in the Black Cat thread a while ago). However, part of it has to do is the characters are quite skilled in what they do. That might bother some but it didn't disturb me that much considering the show made references they have been doing their thing for a while. Also, the characters and interactions are great. There are some really funny moments (gawds, love "Operation: Here, kitty, kitty!" XD) and also a lot of emotional moments too. I want to say however even though I love the anime, I'm reading the manga now and I think the manga version is a lot better, mostly do to how I like the main character's personality better and also some events I wished were featured in the anime. XD

poopnoodle, I think FLCL is quite known, though not as well known as Code Geass and such. I have friends mentioning how that's one of the craziest and weirdest anime ever but that it's awesome. I agree. XD; I don't know, I would say it's not underrated but not overrated.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
poopnoodle, I think FLCL is quite known, though not as well known as Code Geass and such. I have friends mentioning how that's one of the craziest and weirdest anime ever but that it's awesome. I agree. XD; I don't know, I would say it's not underrated but not overrated.
Probs, I don't really keep up with my animes/I don't know anyone who likes anime irl, so I just watch whatever I happen to stumble upon. I just haven't seen anyone here talk about it, and this is the only forum I reside in, so it seemed ~underground.~ ^-^ Aaanyways, I might fail at the following, but Princess Tutu is anotha...darkly bizarre, elegantly animated, I loved it.

Years
I don't think many things get underrated as much as they are just completely unknown to a lot of people. A search of Haibane Renmei on this site gave me only 10 results (and two were mine!) despite it being an excellent short series with lots of character-centered, emotionally leaden drama and mystery. Probably it's on account of it being nearly 7 years old so there's no real fanbase anymore, but the big names always push deserving series out of the spotlight.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
Getbackers! An anime that I have absolutely fallen in love with!

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Anything made pre-2003 here. :O

Kay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but a lot of the stuff I've seen listed isn't really underrated in any sense. I would say maybe the Buddha manga, but that's by Tezuka and I can't really consider anything by him to be underrated. Maybe Zodiac P.I.? That was a cute little shoujo detective series that was pretty short and could probably count the times I've seen any decent discussion on it here at PC or around the internet...English side at least.

Bay

Years
Probs, I don't really keep up with my animes/I don't know anyone who likes anime irl, so I just watch whatever I happen to stumble upon. I just haven't seen anyone here talk about it, and this is the only forum I reside in, so it seemed ~underground.~ ^-^ Aaanyways, I might fail at the following, but Princess Tutu is anotha...darkly bizarre, elegantly animated, I loved it.
Don't worry, I'm not that well versed with anime either. XD I too just go by what I stumble upon, although I sometimes will check out an anime show if I have a friend that recommends it to me. FLCL has been mentioned a few times here and I have friends that talked about it, so I'm just going by what I hear.

I don't think many things get underrated as much as they are just completely unknown to a lot of people. A search of Haibane Renmei on this site gave me only 10 results (and two were mine!) despite it being an excellent short series with lots of character-centered, emotionally leaden drama and mystery. Probably it's on account of it being nearly 7 years old so there's no real fanbase anymore, but the big names always push deserving series out of the spotlight.
Yeah, I agree it's likely more that many things aren't unknown and that the big names always get the glory. I admit of tiring of hearing how great Death Note is, even though I do love the show a lot. XD; For the most part if there's a fanbase, there will be people wanting to check it out, like me. :x

Anything made pre-2003 here. :O

Kay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but a lot of the stuff I've seen listed isn't really underrated in any sense. I would say maybe the Buddha manga, but that's by Tezuka and I can't really consider anything by him to be underrated. Maybe Zodiac P.I.? That was a cute little shoujo detective series that was pretty short and could probably count the times I've seen any decent discussion on it here at PC or around the internet...English side at least.
For some reason, the name Zodiac P.I. makes me think of Zodaic the movie. D: Haven't check out Zodiac P.I. though. ^^;

Anyways, guess it depends how one looks at underrated. I too also go by discussions have been going on at PC but I also count things like how many times I have my friends mention this series, the avatars and banners here and other forums (yes, I count that as those are basically showing what fandom you like D: ), and also reviews from various sites.

I agree actually over that 2003 statement to an extent as I don't too many animes made before that time. Also, seems now more people are going with that fandom that's modern or "in," or at least seeing many Code Geass and Pandora Hearts fanbase here. :P Then again, sometimes I don't check what date that anime is made. XD

So yeah, I think it depends on how one sees underrated. Then again, you're more well versed in anime than me and you're most likely right some of the ones mentioned here are probably not that underrated. XD

Atomsk Rocket Grunt

Wannabe Imakuni?
Years
Zetman- Bloody and brilliant. In my eyes, a classic already.

Ichi the Killer- Close to the most violent manga I've ever read, a masterpiece examining the depths of sadomasochism/masochism.

Vagabond- An emotional and gripping account of the life of Musashi Miyamoto, one of Japan's most famous duelists and sword saint.

Mysterious Girlfriend X- A love story involving drool, scissors and some of the best art I've seen in a while.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer- The princess is supposed to save the world with the help of the Beast Knights, but what happens when what she really wants to do is destroy it herself?

Most of these are available on OneManga with the exception of Ichi the Killer, which is on The Spectrum Nexus. If anyone wants anymore recommendations I read about 50-60 series' so I'm always excited about something.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
FLCL maybz?

FLCL is so far from underrated that it's not even funny. It is very much overrated if anything.

Anyways, what do I think is underrated? Depends on what we're talking about here? Meaning it deserves more popularity?

If so than I have to go for Monster. It is liked by those who have seen it, but it hasn't had too much exposure really. But I guess that might just change seeing as it's coming on SyFy late next month. (Yes, I was VERY shocked to find that out.)

I also think that One Piece is a bit underrated in America. But it's not horribly underrated anymore I don't think. And it should probably stay this way. I'd rather it not be at Naruto, Bleach, or Death Note level.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
From anything I've seen recently, it would probably be Kure-nai. Pretty touching story with some great character development. The anime was only 12 episodes, but the manga is currently ongoing.

As for overall that would probably be Armored Trooper Votoms. It's really old (1983) but it's easily my favorite mecha series. Best main character ever ;D great storyline, and awesome mech fights.

KUROXFAI

in ure brain
Years
Pet shop of Horrors - kinda bloody depending on your idea, funny, and great
Beast in the Tower - all round good if u can stand the yaoi fan girls
Afuresou na Pool - yaoi but with a style
Legal Drug - this is like one of the best series, it has everything
X-1999 - really dark and scary to some people XD Though not to me
Tokyo Babylon - an ending you will never c coming
Only the Ring Finger Knows - a graphic novel only one book but it is so underrated
Kobatu - This is the funniest manga i have ever read
SGT Frog - like the best and i think only alien mangas i have read
Magic Knight Rayearth - a really good story line and wait till you get to the ending
thats all i can think of right now
will post more when i remember

Verkaufer

bis zum bitteren ende
Years
Golgo13 and Akumetsu are pretty underrated.

Golgo13 is probably the smoothest man who walked the earth. Just assassinate a man? Why not go have a drink.

Akumetsu is like Death Note meets violence. Instead of writing in a weak notebook, this guy goes out and kills the criminals himself.

kohei

Pizzaman.
Years
Golgo13 and Akumetsu are pretty underrated.

Golgo13 is probably the smoothest man who walked the earth. Just assassinate a man? Why not go have a drink.

Akumetsu is like Death Note meets violence. Instead of writing in a weak notebook, this guy goes out and kills the criminals himself.
Golgo 13 is awesome.
The only downside is that the series will never, ever end, meaning I'd waste my whole life attempting to read through every existing story.

Still, Togo has only ever missed his shots twice, and that is an achievement, even for a manga character.
Mysterious Girlfriend X- A love story involving drool, scissors and some of the best art I've seen in a while.
Haven't red Nazo no Kanojyo X yet, but how does it compare with Discommunication?
Or is it more like Yumetsukai? Because I honestly didn't like the latter.

And on topic:
Any manga by kashmir.

Daydream Nation, Yuri-seijin Naoko-san and ○ hon no Jyuunin... all comedies with cute art, and with black/risky humor.
Don't know why it's not a hit :/

Last edited:
Back