• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Aw. :(

The GameStops in San Francisco had everything good, which was interesting. I found more unique games up there than I ever found here in Los Angeles, except back in the day when they used to also sell NES/SNES/N64 games. Back then...those were the glory days of gaming. I wish I could go back to buy all the games I ever wanted for the old systems!

It's more a matter of DS gamers in the area almost never selling their games to GameStop. Or anywhere, for that matter. Most of the games in the case are the shovelware titles targeted at children.

Are there any used game stores near you that you trust? I know quite a few in my area, but some of them have trouble keeping their doors open due to poor management and whatnot.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
It's more a matter of DS gamers in the area almost never selling their games to GameStop. Or anywhere, for that matter. Most of the games in the case are the shovelware titles targeted at children.

Are there any used game stores near you that you trust? I know quite a few in my area, but some of them have trouble keeping their doors open due to poor management and whatnot.

We used to have a good one, but there are none around anymore. GameStop bought most of them out around the time GameStop started getting really big. :( I wish I had a game shop like the good ol' days.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
I recall years before there was a GameStop in walking distance where I live, there was a video game store called Game Crazy. One of the memories I have about that store was that was the store where I bought my PSP. Unfortunately, due to bankruptcy, that video game store closed in 2010. GameStop did not come with in walking distance where I live until either 2011 or 2012.

Braxien

Banned
Years
I recall years before there was a GameStop in walking distance where I live, there was a video game store called Game Crazy. One of the memories I have about that store was that was the store where I bought my PSP. Unfortunately, due to bankruptcy, that video game store closed in 2010. GameStop did not come with in walking distance where I live until either 2011 or 2012.

I remember buying my PSP in 2010. It was a Blue PSP 3000 and I enjoyed playing with it at first. However, it soon became extremely tedious as the games were far too easy and there wasn't much of a variety, in my opinion. Do you still own your PSP which you bought at the GameStop which was across your street? If not, and you aren't getting the joy you used to out of it, I would recommend trying to sell it. After 3 years of use, it got me £80 which I was happy with.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
I remember buying my PSP in 2010. It was a Blue PSP 3000 and I enjoyed playing with it at first. However, it soon became extremely tedious as the games were far too easy and there wasn't much of a variety, in my opinion. Do you still own your PSP which you bought at the GameStop which was across your street? If not, and you aren't getting the joy you used to out of it, I would recommend trying to sell it. After 3 years of use, it got me £80 which I was happy with.

First of all, it was Game Crazy where I bought my PSP, not GameStop. I still own my PSP, I never sell my video game systems that I buy.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
The PSP I had was white, and had Darth Vader logo on behind. Wound up growing sort of tired of it, eventually, so I soon decided to try something new and start hacking. Took a lot of time, but I did get it done. I didn't have too big of memory card back then, though (would've bought one, but they all seemed to be pretty expensive, depending on their capacity), so I was pretty limited when it came to storing games. Don't have the system anymore; decided to trade it in one day, so that I could save some money while getting myself a new 360.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I never had a PSP myself.

-Well, I did, but it was only for a short time. During that time, me and my brother had Resident Evil, Lumines, and Wipeout. My brother didn't want it, so we ended up selling it. Now I have a Vita, and the majority of games I have on it are things that I missed out on or just wanted in general. Dissidia Duodecim, the Phantom Brave and Disgaea ports, the Persona PSP titles, etc. Though, while it's nice to play PSP games on the Vita, it's even nicer playing them at 1080p with various graphical enhancements. PSP games can look pretty fantastic when upscaled.

But I don't really regret the PSP being sold. After all, the PSP isn't physically backwards compatible, so it wouldn't have much function for me now, anyway.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Two of my most wanted PSP games, Mega Man Powered Up and Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins, aren't even on PSN. :V I can't play them on Vita.

At LEAST there's Mega Man X: Maverick Hunters, but I need to finish Mega Man X first. Just recently started it.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
Honestly...I've never seen a game for PSP that I actually wanted, aside from the Grand Theft Auto games they released for the system - which were ported to PS2. :(

I am not even sure what sort of game would actually get me to buy a Sony handheld.

Years
There were few games that I wanted for the PSP, so I never got one, but I still do really want to play those few games, so I'll probably plan on getting one down the road.

We used to have a good one, but there are none around anymore. GameStop bought most of them out around the time GameStop started getting really big. :( I wish I had a game shop like the good ol' days.

The recipe for success (aside from being well-run and well-staffed) that I've noticed for non-GameStop ones is to sell games and systems that GameStop doesn't carry, as well as community-building by hosting gaming events. In some cases, being a combo game and hobby store works brilliantly and builds you into a single-stop shop for some people who dip into both sides.

Silver Soul of Johto

Journey's end
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 10, 2016
I miss Game Crazy. I bought my blue GBC for $20 in there and another Pokemon Yellow.
I've never owned a PSP, and there are a ton of games I wanted, but I guess it was never in the cards for me to have one. I've only ever had just Ninty handhelds

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
One, major reason I've had my PSP is because of Yu-Gi-Oh Tag Force series. If it weren't for that, I most likely wouldn't have bought it, to be honest! It was available for PS2 (and also PS3, maybe?), but didn't really feel like playing that game on any home console at the time.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
One, major reason I've had my PSP is because of Yu-Gi-Oh Tag Force series. If it weren't for that, I most likely wouldn't have bought it, to be honest! It was available for PS2 (and also PS3, maybe?), but didn't really feel like playing that game on any home console at the time.
I get where you're coming from. I grew up playing Yu-Gi-Oh on home consoles, first with Forbidden Memories, then Duelists of the Roses and Falsebound Kingdom. But when things like Duel Academy and Eternal Duelist Souls came out, I completely ignored the later console titles. YGO just feels right on handhelds, especially due to the nature of the gameplay.

But I didn't discover Tag Force until about a year ago- since I didn't have a PSP. It had been years since I'd stopped playing YGO games, but the character animations and its overall style blew me away, it was a really smart idea that I was surprised wasn't employed until then.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
I recall the first Yu-Gi-Oh! video game I played was Dark Duel Stories for the Game Boy Color. After that one, later ones I played were Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel, The Sacred Cards, Reshef of Destruction, Nightmare Troubadour, and GX: Tag Force. In Tag Force, I have Alexis as my tag partner.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I just got the Yu-Gi-Oh 3DS game. I have to say its horrible. After the PSP and DS ones having online, I expected to get something of tge same. But was very disappointed by it. I wouldn't at all recommend the game, Love the older games though, Forbidden Memories <3 Personal favourite.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Yeah, I heard that. It's sad, because it's the only game iteration with XYZ monsters. I was actually excited when it was at E3, but reviews haven't really been on its side.

...I doubt I'd mind the lack of online, though. My favorite traditional one is Duel Academy for the GBA, so I doubt I'd be too displeased there. But I'll hold off for a sale that'll make it REALLY cheap, cheap enough to justify buying (which, knowing the eshop, isn't too unlikely).

And yeah, love Forbidden Memories. It was interesting, because in America, Forbidden Memories came out near the time that the show premiered, so I actually got that before I got my cards. Played that game a lot as a kid, never beat it, though, Last I remember was getting to Heshin's Mage goons (I'm surprised I remember the specifics) and getting stuck. Though that game wasn't a cakewalk in general.

Years
On the topic of Yu-Gi-Oh, I remember playing Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel. I really enjoyed that one, it was the one that took place in Battle City I think. It was nice being able to import cards from the second half of Pharaoh's Servant and Labyrinth of Nightmare, but that was the last one I played. I also had Sacred Cards I think, that was okay but I liked Destined Duel better.

Ah, how times have changed.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I remember buying some Yu-Gi-Oh game for my GameBoy SP many, many years ago (can't exactly remember what it was called), and personally found it to be very addicting. You were able to roam and interact with NPCs, much like how it's done in Tag Force, and also take on quests. If there were more like this, I think it'd be great; many seem to like this sort of thing, so hopefully, they shouldn't have much trouble when it comes to sales.

Most Yu-Gi-Oh games seem to be focused strictly around dueling, but I'd also like them them to included a couple of RPG aspects wherever possible.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Yugioh The Sacred Cars was the ♥♥♥♥ back then, and it still is. I spent so many hours building the perfect deck with that game. Anyway, I have to share this with someone, but it includes swearing and lots of references to....stuff. Its a truck game apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back