• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Art of RNG [RNG Guide & Discussion]

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
So I have a quick question about RNG. I'd mainly be RNG'ing for shinies. Is the only way to get my SID through a legit shiny (which sadly i have no luck so i dont have one) or through AR? I believe I understand how to RNG beyond that though.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
So I have a quick question about RNG. I'd mainly be RNG'ing for shinies. Is the only way to get my SID through a legit shiny (which sadly i have no luck so i dont have one) or through AR? I believe I understand how to RNG beyond that though.

You can look up your SID if you upload a Pokemon to Pokecheck.org. A guide on how to do this can be found here. It's the PokeCommunity Hack report thread, but it's also where our Pokecheck guide is. Just scroll down and you'll see instructions about how to do it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
You can look up your SID if you upload a Pokemon to Pokecheck.org. A guide on how to do this can be found here. It's the PokeCommunity Hack report thread, but it's also where our Pokecheck guide is. Just scroll down and you'll see instructions about how to do it.

Oh thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to give that a shot now :)

Edit: So it turns out my ISP is blocking Pokecheck making me unable to upload a poke. Any idea how to make it not block pokecheck?

Last edited:

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Edit: So it turns out my ISP is blocking Pokecheck making me unable to upload a poke. Any idea how to make it not block pokecheck?

Hmm...iirc that's something you'd have to take up with your ISP directly. I know we've had another member with the same issue. If not, follow tabor's advice.

JustinDestruction

Rockin' Trainer
Years
Okay, sorry if this is really stupid... but does RNG work with both Black and Black 2? I haven't RNG'd since Platinum version, but I was wanting to RNG a few shiny or good IV'd Pokemon through breeding. I read somewhere that it wasn't possible to use hatching RNG's in Black 2. So do I have to use Black version to do this? Also, do you always have to reload the game after you set the clock the first time? Or was that to provide a better example?

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Okay, sorry if this is really stupid... but does RNG work with both Black and Black 2? I haven't RNG'd since Platinum version, but I was wanting to RNG a few shiny or good IV'd Pokemon through breeding. I read somewhere that it wasn't possible to use hatching RNG's in Black 2. So do I have to use Black version to do this? Also, do you always have to reload the game after you set the clock the first time? Or was that to provide a better example?

You can RNG in both, however it is far easier to RNG in Black, Timer0 trolls so much in Black 2. I'm not sure what you mean by reloading the game after you set the clock the first time though.

droomph

weeb
Years
So me using a copy of Black 2 to do whatever isn't going to help much?

Because from what I tried, everything went through fine and dandy but no results came up.

Oh and btw I'm on a mac so that's another thing. does ppppppppprng or whatever work just like the other one?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
You can still do capture RNG on B2W2 but not breeding. PPRNG from what I heard is a lot simpler to use than RNG reporter. I don't actually know since I don't have a Mac but that's what I heard... from Mac. Heh!

droomph

weeb
Years
Well damn there goes that grovyle

But my question…why isn't my pprng returning any values? I don't think that's supposed to happen lol

And just to make sure, the IV "range" is the possible IVs, or what?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I use PPRNG and trust me, it's fierce and much better than RNG Reporter. I thought I wasn't gonna like it, but I was wrong.

What do you mean IV range? Perhaps you could screenshot and point out what you're talking about. Do you mean that thing that's automatically at 8? If that's what you're talking about, just leave it at 8 and don't pay attention to it. lol

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I use PPRNG and trust me, it's fierce and much better than RNG Reporter. I thought I wasn't gonna like it, but I was wrong.

What do you mean IV range? Perhaps you could screenshot and point out what you're talking about. Do you mean that thing that's automatically at 8? If that's what you're talking about, just leave it at 8 and don't pay attention to it. lol

Definitely true. PPRNG is a superior program and much more intuitive. It just plain runs better as well.. and with the seed cache, finding BW1 egg seeds is so much faster.

droomph

weeb
Years

The default "0-31" things on the bottom. I'll provide a screenshot when I have a chance.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
The default "0-31" things on the bottom. I'll provide a screenshot when I have a chance.

31 is the highest IV while 0 is the lowest. Select what you want. Top is minimum, bottom is max.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You're getting no results when you search for a flawless? Hm. Considering it's wild encounters, I'm sure it's a bit more difficult to find what you're looking for as flawless. I haven't RNG'd BW2 yet and definitely haven't RNG'd a wild encounter with PPRNG since I've had it, but I can tell you that it is more difficult to find a seed for a wild encounter than it would take for an egg.

Maybe change the IV range? What exactly are you trying to RNG anyway? If it's something like Petilil, or anything else that's a special sweeper, try searching "special flawless" and that should get you some results.

1000 results is pretty good though idk why you say that like it's a bad thing! :P

Back