• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Username Letter Challenge.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years

The Username Letter Challenge.

Spr_2c_229.gif

Introduction

Hello, and welcome to The Username Letter Challenge. c:
The idea of this challenge is pretty basic. You take the first six letters of your name, and select six Pokemon based on each letter. For example, my first six letters are I, N, F, E, R, and N again. That means I would use Pokemon beginning with those letters, like Illumise, Noctowl, Flareon, Espeon, and so forth. Simple, no?
However, for those with things such as numbers and symbols in their name, do not fret! You are still more than welcome to take this challenge. How, you ask? Say your name is something like Poke219. You can use Pokemon like Pikachu, Omastar, Kingdra, and Empoleon for your first four Pokemon. But what about the remaining two numbers? For this, you can do one of two things. Either use the Pokemon whose National Pokedex numbers are 2 and 1, or you can use the Pokemon with the Pokedex number of 21. If you choose the latter, you will have five Pokemon in your party instead of six.
For those with symbols such as stars, use a Pokemon of that shape. For example, a star could be either Staryu or Starmie, an underscore may be something like Sudowoodo, etc.
Those with Japanese names, we have not forgotten about you. If you have Katakana, Hirigana, or Kanji, the same rule still applies. For example, say your username is ウラタビカプ (Uratabikapu). You can use Pokemon like ウインディ (Uindie/Arcanine), ラティオス (Rateiosu/Latios) , タマンタ (Tamanta/Mantyke), ビクティニ (Bikutini/Victini), カメール (Kameiru/Wartortle), and プリン (Purin/Jigglypuff) This means that you must go by Japanese names in this instance.
For Hirigana, replace the Hirigana letter with the Katakana. An example of this is た = タ. After that, just follow the same basic rule. And finally, for Kanji, say you have something like 丸 (Round) in your name. Instead of choosing a Pokemon based on the first letter, choose a Pokemon that goes along with the particular Kanji symbol. So if one Kanji's meaning is round, pick a Pokemon that is round, like Jigglypuff.
Figured out your team yet? Well then ready or not, here come the rules. Big thanks to Sydian and chaos11011 for the help with this part.

Challenge Rules

1.) Trading is permitted, as long as you trade them over at a low level, early in the game.
2.) Hacking in a Pokemon is also allowed, under the same circumstances as the previous rule.
3.) You are free to do an Ultimate Username Letter Challenge if you wish to do so. Just be sure to notify me of what games you will be using. c: (Just so it's made clear, you do NOT need to do Colosseum or XD for the Ultimate Challenge.)
4.) The challenge ends when you defeat the Elite Four (in all games except for G/S/C, Emerald, HG/SS, and B/W.) In the aforementioned games, the game ends when you beat Red at Mt. Sliver, or in Emerald's case, Steven inside Meteor Falls. Also, in B/W, the game ends after you defeat Alder.
5.) You can also do this for the spinoff games Pokemon Colosseum or XD: Gale of Darkness. (In which case, the game ends after beating Evice or Greevil respectively)
6.) Legendaries are permitted, but only if there is really no other Pokemon to use for your letter. (Such as Zapdos for Z, while other options could be Zubat or Zigzagoon.) In this case, try to limit it to one, otherwise it wouldn't be a challenge.
7.) If one of your Pokemon changes it's beginning letter after it evolves, then it can't evolve. For example, If one of your letters is N, and you want to pick Natu, it cannot evolve into Xatu, otherwise the beginning letter would be X, not N.
8.) Similarly, if you have a V as one of your letters, then you can use Bulbasaur for a while, as long as it evolves all the way into Venusaur.
9.) You can use HM slaves, as long as they are not part of your 'actual party'. However, this does not prevent you from actually teaching an HM move or two to one of your Pokemon in your party.
10.) If your username has less than 6 characters, use however as many Pokemon as the letters you do have. An example of this is if your username is 'Bob'. In this case, you only use 3 Pokemon.
11.) Have fun. c:

Brave Challengers

Before challenging, please tell me what your party is and what game you plan to use. Thank you.
Also, for convenience, Bulbapedia has a list of Pokemon in alphabetical order.

RBYG:
cazzler (Red) {Charizard, Aerodactyl, Zapdos, Zubat, Lapras, Exeggutor}
Maelstromk (Blue) {Magneton, Aerodactyl, Exeggutor, Lickitung, Sandslash, Tentacruel}

GSC:
dragoniteuser (Crystal) {Dragonite, Raticate, Arcanine, Gyarados, Onix, Noctowl}
Spacial Sage (Crystal) {Squirtle, Pikachu, Ariados, Charizard, Ivysaur, Ampharos}
Firework. (Crystal) {Feraligatr, Ivysaur, Rapidash, Electrode, Wobbuffet, Octillery}
Luigi-San (Gold) {Lapras, Umbreon, Ivysaur, Golem, Igglybuff, Skarmory}
mikpeters (Crystal) {Mr Mime, Ivysaur, Kabutops, Primeape, Electabuzz, Typhlosion}
Suicune™ (Crystal) {Slowbro, Umbreon, Cloyster, Ursaring, Noctowl, Espeon}
Punnag (Crystal) {Pidgeot, Umbreon, Nidoking, Ninetales, Ampharos, Gyarados}

RSEFRLG:
XBA (Ruby) {Xatu, Blaziken, Absol}
altariaking (Emerald) {Altaria, Lanturn, Tropius, Aggron, Rhydon, Illumise}
Performancev2 (Ruby) {Primeape, Exeggutor, Rhydon, Fearow, Omastar, Rapidash}
Skitty123 (Sapphire) {Skitty, Kingdra, Illumise, Tyranitar, Treecko, Yanma}
Toasty Woodman (FireRed) {Tentacruel, Omastar, Alakazam, Sandslash, Tangela, Wigglytuff}
ghostlyunown (Emerald) {Gyarados, Heracross, Omastar, Snorlax, Typhlosion, Lapras}
Starchomp (FireRed) {Squirtle, Tauros, Arcanine, Raticate, Crobat, Haunter}
Lodestar (Ruby/Sapphire) {Ludicolo, Octillery, Dusclops, Electabuzz, Salamence, Typhlosion}
SpaceMadness (Sapphire) {Salamence, Pelipper, Armaldo, Cacturne, Electrode, Mawile}
tachikaze316 (FireRed) {Tauros, Arbok, Charizard, Hitmonchan, Illumise, Kabutops}
Magikarplvl.98 (Sapphire) {Marshtomp, Aggron, Gardevoir, Illumise, Kecleon, Absol}
The Pirate Lord (FireRed) {Tyranitar, Hypno, Electrabuzz, Poliwrath, Ivysaur, Rhydon}

DPPtHGSS:
Saiddun Uzkha (Platinum) {Staraptor, Alakazam, Infernape, Drifblim, Drapion, Umbreon}
Kirbychu (Pearl) {Kricketune, Infernape, Rampardos, Buizel, Yanmega, Cherrim}
mzmingle (Pearl) {Meditite, Infernape, Noctowl, Gastrodon, Luxio, Exeggcute}
FuriousFox (Diamond) {Floatzel, Ursaring, Rhyperior, Infernape, Onix, Umbreon}
imevil (Platinum) {Infernape, Magnezone, Electabuzz, Vaporeon, Ivysaur, Lucario}
daichi111 (Pearl) {Drapion, Alakazam, Infernape, Crobat, Hitmontop}
Ωmega (HeartGold) {Octillery, Metagross, Electivire, Garchomp, Aerodactyl}
TheFuturePokemon (Platinum) {Torkoal, Honchkrow, Empoleon, Flygon, Ursaring, Torterra}
MysticFlygon (Platinum) {Milotic, Yanmega, Sceptile, Togekiss, Infernape, Crobat}
Ineffable~ (Platinum) {Infernape, Ninjask, Espeon, Flygon, Forretress, Azumarill}
solarowl (HeartGold) {Snorlax, Omastar, Lucario, Aerodactyl, Rhyperior, Octillery}
Callandor (Platinum) {Crobat, Abomasnow, Leafeon, Luxray, Absol, Noctowl}
TundraCanine (Platinum) {Tyranitar, Ursaring, Ninetales, Drifblim, Roserade, Aggron}
dango989 (HeartGold) {Dragonite, Aggron, Nidoking, Garchomp, Octillery}
レイジングブラスト (SoulSilver) {Rhyperior, Ambipom, Golduck, Ivysaur, Ninetales, Girafarig}
TheGoddessOfDiscord (Platinum) {Torterra, Honchkrow, Electivire, Garchomp, Drifblim}

BW:
Futachimaru (Black) {Futachimaru, Ulgamoth, Tyranitar, Archeos, Cloyster, Hihidaruma}

Colosseum/XD: None.

Current Ultimate Challengers:
myrrhman

Lopnis

Winning Challengers:
InfernoRogue (Crystal) {Ivysaur, Ninetales, Feraligatr, Electabuzz, Rhydon, Nidoqueen}
vaporeon7 (Blue) {Victreebel, Aerodactyl, Porygon, Omastar, Raticate, Electrode}
Porygon Z (LeafGreen) {Persian, Omastar, Raichu, Gengar, Onix, Ninetales}
Hallylicious (Ruby) {Hariyama, Altaria, Linoone, Lanturn, Yanma, Lairon}
Snow Phoenix (HeartGold) {Starmie, Nidoking, Onix, Weezing, Pidgeot, Haunter}
TurkishDelight (R/S/E) {Torkoal, Rhydon/Roselia, Kecleon, Illumise, Swampert}
Ghostie (Blue) {Gyarados, Haunter, Onix, Snorlax, Tentacruel, Ivysaur}
Intoxicated (Red) {Ivysaur, Nidoqueen, Tauros, Omastar}

Winning Ultimate Challengers:
jdthebud

Last edited:

Saiddun Uzkha

Obsessed and Proud!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 26, 2011
I'll do this on Platinum.
S= Starapter
A= Alakazam
I= Infernape
D= Drifblim
D= Drapion
U= Umbreon

Yay!

Last edited:

Enigma

Years
Okay. Added. c:

First Pokemon Update:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
Years
I'll be doing mine on HG. Since I'm unable to trade (due to being on break)... choosing my team had a few obstructions.

S Starmie (Lots of choices... narrowed it down to Starmie for a Bolt/beam)
N Nidoking (Who doesn't love the King?)
O Onix (O's fail. My choices were Oddish, Octillery, or Onix. I would've picked Octillery if it weren't 3% chance of finding Remoraid without swarm)
W Weezing (Not as many choices here. It was either Weezing or Weepinbell. I picked Weezing)
P Pidgeot (There were a few good options here. I picked trusty Pidgeot mostly because I just like this bird)
H Haunter (I picked over Hera because with Hera, 1/2 my team would struggle with psychic and Haunter takes care of psychics. Yeah I know Hera has awesome attack AND Megahorn... IN THE 50s)

Last edited:

Enigma

Years
Added! Have fun with your challenge, as I am already doing so. c:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Ultimate Challenge!!!! I think. Can I change the team for each game?

For Red, I will use:

Jynx, Dodrio, Tentacruel, Hypno, Electabuzz, Blastoise.

Man, there's gonna be serious grinding at the end - Dodrio, Jynx, Tentacruel and Electabuzz all unobtainable before Celadon City...

By the way, I want to add something if I can. I was thinking, and I have more than 6 letters in my username. Could the letters be just consecutive ones? Like for example the last 6, or the middle six. Also, do we have to use 6 letters - can we use 4 or 5 if we want?

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I'll be doing mine on HG. Since I'm unable to trade (due to being on break)... choosing my team had a few obstructions.

S Starmie (Lots of choices... narrowed it down to Starmie for a Bolt/beam)
N Nidoking (Who doesn't love the King?)
O Onix (O's fail. My choices were Oddish, Octillery, or Onix. I would've picked Octillery if it weren't 3% chance of finding Remoraid without swarm)
W Weezing (Not as many choices here. It was either Weezing or Weepinbell. I picked Weezing)
P Pidgeot (There were a few good options here. I picked trusty Pidgeot mostly because I just like this bird)
H Haunter (I picked over Hera because with Hera, 1/2 my team would struggle with psychic and Haunter takes care of psychics. Yeah I know Hera has awesome attack AND Megahorn... IN THE 50s)

For H, I would go with Hypno and teach it Shadow Ball, as Hypno has better stats overall. But it's your choice.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
Will do this on SS.

Roserade
Empoleon
Salamence
Heracross
Infernape
Rhyperior

I will hack in Roserade as Roselia.
I will have to hack in Rhyperior as Rhyperior, seeing as I cannot trade.

EDIT; I will try to update tommorow.

Last edited:

Saiddun Uzkha

Obsessed and Proud!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 26, 2011
Update!
I got my Chimchar and lost to my rival's Piplup.FAIL!
Team:
Chimchar (forgot to name him) Lvl 5
Docile Nature
Scratch
Leer

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
Now in Viridian Forest, got my Pikachu and now training him.

Charmeleon Lv. 16 - Scratch, Leer, Ember, Metal Claw
Pikachu Lv. 9 - Thundershock, Growl, Tail Whip, Thunder Wave

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
Years
I started mine... updateish.

-Started game. Named self Snow-Ph in honor of challenge.
-Started with Totodile. Nicknamed Orion. I plan on nicknaming my pokemon by thier beginning letter in honor of the challenge. Since I plan on ingame-trading for my Onix. I named Totodile with an O as a replacement for Onix's name.
-Leveled Totodile to 8 for Rival Battle. Won easily with Rage.
-Caught a Pidgey and nicknamed it Par. I'm keeping Totodile in reserve for now because I only have one member so far.

Current Team: Pidgey (Lv 5)

Enigma

Years
Goodness! A ton of people joined over night. xD I'm currently adding you all, then I'll address any questions or concerns. c:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
Now in Vermilion City, ready to take on Lt. Surge!

Pikachu Lv. 31 - Thunderbolt, Double Team, Tail Whip, Brick Break
Persian Lv. 31 - Water Pulse, Bite, Faint Attack, Dig
Charmeleon Lv. 17 - Scratch, Leer, Ember, Metal Claw

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
Years
Update:

-Leveled Pidgey to 13
-Caught a Bellsprout just before Violet City
-Entered Violet City and traded Bellsprout for Onix
-Trained Onix to level 9
-Entered Bell Tower and caught a Gastly (nicknamed Hero).
-Trained Gastly in Bell Tower. Reached level 14.
-Challenged Falkner.

The biggest issue here was that I forgot about the traded pokemon thing and so a disobeying Onix was a bit of a problem, especially since Pidgeotto has Roost. I got lucky though and my Onix scored two Rock Throws in a row. During the gym, Onix grew to level 13. *makes mental sticky note on remembering the disobeying part

Current Team: Onix Lv 13, Gastly Lv 14, Pidgey Lv 13

Back