• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rider542

Master of the... Magikarp?
Years
I have a question and I really am not good at keeping track of threads, so if someone could pleaseeeee pm me the answer i would be super grateful :)
first of all, i dont understand how black city works. the first time i visited there, there was a mall, and two little green houses you could go into. this was there for a long time afterwards, until i beat alder. after that, i went back and the mall was gone, but the people around the city and the two houses were still there. i cam back today, and everything was gone, except for one person and the blue tall buildings in the back, except some of the blue tall buildings got smaller. i also heard that you can buy evolution stones in black city, but even with the mall, i couldn't. can someone pleaseee explain to me why the buildings disappeared, how i can get them back, and how i can get evolution stones in black sity? Thanks so so so much in advance :)

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
You do know that there are 2 soundtracks when Battling wild Pokemons. The first one is the normal one you hear every time. And the second one is some sort of remix and it appears only when RARE wild Pokemons appear. Pokemons such as Audion for example. For a normal Pokemon, I got the 2nd RARE wild Pokemon Music.

Yeah, only thing I can think of was a bug. I've heard of quite a few bugs that happen at random in BW, so it doesn't surprise me too much.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
Assurance will do double damage if the target of the move has already been damaged that turn. This commonly happens in double battles, where your other Pokemon may hit the opponents and then you use Assurance on the same Pokemon to get the boost. Payback does double damage if you attack after the opponent.
So in single battles, the only way to get the double damage with either of these attacks is to attack second?

Well, prior to generation 4, all psychic attacks were special, but not it relies specifically on the attack itself. So if you were to use Zen Headbutt, a physical psychic attack, the power would come from its attack stat, rather than its special attack stat, while if you used Psyshock, while it is special in nature, it actually uses the opponent's defense stat to determine the power, which is an advantage if they're fighting a special attacker, which usually invests in special defense and therefore an attack attacking their defense would be stronger, if that makes sense. In other words, yes it based upon the attack entirely and not the type.
Ack, they've made this so confusing. This means I need to look up every move online before I know if I want my given Pokemon to have it.

Thanks for the help both of you. :)

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
I guess this was probably asked before, but I can't really find anything in this thread..

Are there similar limitations to evolving Pokémon of other Generations in B/W like in FR/LG?

For example, if I got a Sentret right at the start of the game, would it evolve to Furret at Level 15?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
So in single battles, the only way to get the double damage with either of these attacks is to attack second?

Thanks for the help both of you. :)

In single battles, Assurance will only work in very specific situations I believe. For example, if someone switches their Pokemon and they get hit by spikes or stealth rock (lol competitive), then assurance will do double damage. Or if the other Pokemon attacks first and uses a move that causes recoil. Or if they attack you and you have something such as a Rocky Helmet or Rough Skin. But anyway it would be hard to find a use for Assurance in single battles since it's so specific.

I guess this was probably asked before, but I can't really find anything in this thread..

Are there similar limitations to evolving Pokémon of other Generations in B/W like in FR/LG?

For example, if I got a Sentret right at the start of the game, would it evolve to Furret at Level 15?

I don't believe there are any limitations, the number would just show as ???. However keep in mind that you can't transfer one from D/P, you'd have to get it from the Dream World or trade it from a B/W game that has it already.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years

No there are no limitations. I have a tentacool that I evolved into a Tentacruel and I don't have the National Dex yet.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
Are there any other diving areas in BW besides the "Abyssal" Ruins? It seems kind of lame to only have one area for diving, and besides, since it seems we can't find any Pokemon down there, what's the purpose of having Dive Balls if there isn't another place?

EDIT: Two more questions. For both of these, I've really wanted to be able to find it myself, but having gone through basically the whole game besides rematching the Shitennou ("Elite Four" in US), I don't believe I've found any leads on these.

1) I don't know how to crack the password for the scientist in the Game Freak (I think) tower in Hiun ("Castellia"?) City. Is there a hint somewhere, or do I seriously have to try every possible combo until I get it right?

2) What's with the seemingly depressed woman in the trailer in Bewilder ("Lostlorn") Forest? I talk to her and she just says, "......" I've been trying to figure out how to cheer her up, if possible.
EDIT: Ok, I figured this out, but now what I'd like to know is, since I couldn't experience this myself in the game, is there a video or at least a picture where I could see what the entire Bewilder Forest looks like after Zoroark is discovered?

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Are there any other diving areas in BW besides the "Abyssal" Ruins? It seems kind of lame to only have one area for diving, and besides, since it seems we can't find any Pokemon down there, what's the purpose of having Dive Balls if there isn't another place?

EDIT: Two more questions. For both of these, I've really wanted to be able to find it myself, but having gone through basically the whole game besides rematching the Shitennou ("Elite Four" in US), I don't believe I've found any leads on these.

1) I don't know how to crack the password for the scientist in the Game Freak (I think) tower in Hiun ("Castellia"?) City. Is there a hint somewhere, or do I seriously have to try every possible combo until I get it right?

There's no other diving areas, no. Dive was only put into use there. :( As for Dive Balls, probably for cross-capability between B/W and future R/S remakes, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to use them in B/W, just... without using it underwater.

You need to put in:
"EVERYONE HAPPY
SIMPLE CONNECTION"
...which basically unlocks the Relocator, allowing you to transfer Celebi and the legendary shiny beasts.

As for how the forest changes, it doesn't... really change, it just looks bigger, but I'm sure people have Let's Plays of this on Youtube, so you could try there.

Musharna

~random artist appeared~
Years
There's supposed to be someone in the Opelucid city who will tell you the EVs of your Pokemon, why can't I find anyone?

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
All right, its time for my silly question session, here you go:

Ninetales Hidden/Dream World Ability is Drought right? Could vulpix/Ninetales be obtained via dream world at the time being? If not, does it mean that A Drought Ninetales (don't ask from where) will be rejected when playing online? You know...the message that says "There was a problem in your pokemons, they couldn't participate" or something like that....

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
There's supposed to be someone in the Opelucid city who will tell you the EVs of your Pokemon, why can't I find anyone?

There is a woman, she's inside one of the houses. She tells you either that your Pokemon put in "a lot of effort", or that it "could try harder".

All right, its time for my silly question session, here you go:

Ninetales Hidden/Dream World Ability is Drought right? Could vulpix/Ninetales be obtained via dream world at the time being? If not, does it mean that A Drought Ninetales (don't ask from where) will be rejected when playing online? You know...the message that says "There was a problem in your pokemons, they couldn't participate" or something like that....

You can get a Vulpix with Drought in the forest area of the Dream World after getting 10,000 points. It's been available since the start, so that shouldn't give you any problem. If you are having a problem, check for Sky Drop on your Pokemon, or Chatter, and if you don't have either of those, list your Pokemon here and we'll see if we can help you out.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years

You can get a Vulpix with Drought in the forest area of the Dream World after getting 10,000 points. It's been available since the start, so that shouldn't give you any problem. If you are having a problem, check for Sky Drop on your Pokemon, or Chatter, and if you don't have either of those, list your Pokemon here and we'll see if we can help you out.
Honestly

I have some hacked in Pokemons through AR since I can't get my older pokemons from platinum via an emulator. The first 1 was infernape. I EV trained him and he has some max IVs. I didn't have any trouble with him online. Today, I hacked in a Charmander and Magmortar+ the Drought Ninetales. I am pretty sure one of them or all of them are the one who gave me the issue. Honestly, the reason I hacked them in is because of a friend of mine...long story, but I don't intend to use them in official online battles.

I'll leave you with the Info of the Pokemons:

-Charmander: Hacked in @lvl 10, like any hacked pkmn, i caught him in grass. I EV trained him for spA and Speed. he is @lvl 100 now.

-Ninetales: Hacked in @lvl 90 with Drought, EV trained for Speed and partially spA for now. Some maxed out IVs.

-Magmortar: Hacked in @lvl 100! Normal Ability, Maxed EV @ HP AND spA.

Could hacking them at a high level give me trouble like that? Please note that my Infernape never had trouble and nor did my garchomp.... that's probably because I trained them fairly from scratch when they were a Chimchar and Gible..

If u need any other info, Just tell me...

Rider542

Master of the... Magikarp?
Years
could someone PLEASE help me with my black city question? im really stuck :( i need to be able to buy evolution stones :(

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
could someone PLEASE help me with my black city question? im really stuck :( i need to be able to buy evolution stones :(

I think your answer wasn't answered because since you requested PM, everyone assumed someone else had done it. Maybe next time you just check the thread? :P

As far as your question, the trainers in Black City go away if you don't talk to them pretty much every day, and with them goes the stores and buildings. If you want to get more people, the only way is to find someone (in real life, not online) with White version, use the Entralink to go into their game, and talk to the people in their White Forest and some of them will come back with you to your Black City.

As far as the evolutionary stones, what is sold there depends on what residents you have there, each person gives you different items to buy. You need Karenna for the Leaf Stone, Ralph for the Water Stone, and Vincent for the Fire Stone, for example. For a full list check Bulbapedia.

Musharna

~random artist appeared~
Years
You know, I've been wondering... There's tons of people in the Global Trades who want a "Reshiram lv. 9 or under" or "Zekrom lv. 9 or under". Is there a meaning to this or are they just really stupid...?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
You know, I've been wondering... There's tons of people in the Global Trades who want a "Reshiram lv. 9 or under" or "Zekrom lv. 9 or under". Is there a meaning to this or are they just really stupid...?

They are just being trolls. Just disregard all of them, they are impossible to get.
9e8399e0330e9a070553e998183fe5d9-d3bvj50.gif

Musharna

~random artist appeared~
Years
Man I use this thread a lot XD Thanks for all the answers guys!

I'm checking the IVs of my Pokemon using this and I'd like to ask what does it mean if it says "possible IVs 0-31"? I know 31 is the best and what people want for their Pokemon, but does that mean it can be anything from 0 to 31?

Also, for one of my Pokes it said in stat "31-31". Does this mean it deffinitely has 31 IV on that stat?

IVs are so complicated...

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Man I use this thread a lot XD Thanks for all the answers guys!

I'm checking the IVs of my Pokemon using this and I'd like to ask what does it mean if it says "possible IVs 0-31"? I know 31 is the best and what people want for their Pokemon, but does that mean it can be anything from 0 to 31?

Also, for one of my Pokes it said in stat "31-31". Does this mean it deffinitely has 31 IV on that stat?

IVs are so complicated...

The Minimum IVs in each stat is 0 and the Maximum IVs is 31. if it says 31-31 its definitely 31, this can be confirmed by looking at the pokemons Characteristic. However if it says 0-31 it is likely that your pokemon is not at a high enough Lv for its exact IVs to be accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back