• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starting out, tutorial directory.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Here I will post in a simple layout a list of tutorials aimed at beginning hackers.

Tutorials

Getting started

Scripting Tutorials

• Link - DiegoIsAwesome's XSE Scripting tutorial. Very beginner friendly
  • Link - Old school scripting method but still somewhat beginner. By Foullump
  • Link - XSE tutorial by Raikou-kun.

Mapping Tutorials

• Link - Haefele's AMap mapping naturally tutorial.
  • Link - Link's mapping tutorial.
  • Link - Neti's mapping tutorial, very simple and starts off a lot of great mappers.
  • Link - Ray's mapping 'secrets'.
  • Link - Block editing in Amap.

Graphics Tutorials

• Link - 240/256 color titlescreen tutorial.
  • Link - tile inserting the 'easy' way.
  • Link - Guide to adding DPP sprites to GBA roms...
  • Link - Worldmap hacking, a bit more advanced.

Others will be added at another, stick with these basics to get started though...

Last edited:

kringlur

Velkominn í heim POKéMON!
Years
I'm not sure if this counts, but I made a compilation file with as much of the data for RBG (and a bit of Y) that I could find, plus tutorials on how to edit some of the things in there, to try and make a giant "here's how to edit RBG" file.

Edited on 6th March 2011: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZQ8I1POF

Last edited:

ShadowGrey

Graphix Master
Years
Hey guys, you might recognize me from about the place. I'm not really sure where to go with this question so with the hopes of someone here directing me to somewhere useful I shall ask it anyway. I have read at least a dozen tutorials on inserting Fakemon/ new sprites etc. and i'm pretty much as clued in as anyone, but I have a problem, My sprites just won't write to the rom. Any help/directions to someone with indepth knowledge of unZL.gba would be incredibly helpful. And just before everyone starts suggesting stuff I already know about heres where I stand:
I know sprites must be 64x64 pixels,
I know sprites need to be indexed and I know how,
I know that if the new data is too large you need to use free space finder to get an offset when inserting.
In a nutshell the problem is this, the sprites will open fine in unLZ.gba (not an indexing problem), I have no problems whatsoever importing palletes. It is just that when I click write to rom (having added what should be the new images offset and selecting the boxes 'repoint' and 'auto-abort') nothing happens, the write to rom box closes as if it has worked, but no re-pointing boxes pop up, just.. nothing happens, as if i never clicked write to rom at all.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2013
I'm currently hacking my first romhack, a pokemon ruby hack, and I Am trying to edit the back in-battle sprite for my character, but whenever i do, it just becomes a horrid, messy, bad pallete, also, i use unLZGBA, and Paint.net for the recoloring, also, I Only use colors from the actual sprite, with the dropper tool. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?!?!?!!?!?!?!?! I Can't find anything for RUBY, But theres tons of programs for fire red, I'm hacking ruby, SO SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2016
May I ask a noob/newb question? I'm interested in the idea of hacking my FireRed to make it even better and revamped, but I have two concerns:
1) Legality Issues-Nintendo dislike use of all ROMs/emulators but its not like I'll distribute or steal profit from hacking.
2)Can I put the result of editing the game back onto my actual FireRed cartridge? I don't want to buy a flashcart, nor do I wish to resorting to playing FireRed on PC. I mean, if Pokesav edits the save on cartridges, could I do the same with hacking? I doubt it, cuz real carts don't have a cable slot :(
Also, don't flashcarts look dodgy like in public etc?

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2013
how do i change the starters in a game i would like to hack emerald and change the staerters i know absoulutly nothing about coding or hacking so is there a easy why to chagne stuff with out coding and stuff i just want to change starters and possibly add more legenderys to catch

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
Hey all, I'm new to hacking and was wondering if someone could add me on skype (evilmoat6) and go through it with me, I kind of understand the basics and i have advance map and poketscript

Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2013
Hello, i want to pose a question about the lack of emerald tutorials and i was wondering if somebody can fix that.
also, does anyone know how to script the legendary battles in emerald? cause the tutorials at the top mainly help FR and LG (and some R and S, barely any E) and don't really help.
i understand the basics of it, its just the coding from the game that i do not know. anyone willing to help? ^.^

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
I don't really know where to post this, but I was wondering if there was anyone who could add me on Skype and teach me how to sprite (Recolor, splice, and make actual new pokemon). I have to do it on a free program, because I have no money to use on programs (I have GIMP and paint.net already). If you can help me, I thank you. Is there anyone who can help me learn how to sprite?
~Patrick Symus

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
This might be a good thread for beginning hackers to start developing tools.

Anonymous Gamer

I live for PokEmon
Years
So.umm. I downloaded some hacking tools and I cant open some of them. Namely Advanced Text,Advanced Mart,Poketronic,TrPET and AdvanceWild. I tried running them as administrators but they still wont open. It says" Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.
What should I do?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 7, 2015
Hi..
I was wondering if there was a website to make ROMS without having to download any. I really want to make a FireRed hack, and I don't know what website to use. Any help?

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
Years
lol for everyone that is asking for a place to get roms i have a few things to tell ya first of all you should know that downloading roms is illegal unless you have the actual games themselves and remember google is your friend and also if your missing files go online and search the filename and download and copy the files into your c/windows/system and /system32 and u should be good to go also you should have a good amount of knowledge about hacking at all before you change anything with a rom and always remember to backup your files just in case

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Oct 9, 2014
ugh i am pretty sure this isn't the place to try to respond to...

I need to know where the section to seek for help is, I need help or a tutorial to help me fix a "white screen of death" that is reoccurring in my FireRed Rom Hack as soon as I open it. If anyone can redirect me to post a help thread, that would be nice (as this stickied thread looked like the closest to a help thread). Thank you in advance.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
ugh i am pretty sure this isn't the place to try to respond to...

I need to know where the section to seek for help is, I need help or a tutorial to help me fix a "white screen of death" that is reoccurring in my FireRed Rom Hack as soon as I open it. If anyone can redirect me to post a help thread, that would be nice (as this stickied thread looked like the closest to a help thread). Thank you in advance.

Tutorials is a sub-section of Emulation and ROM Hacking, which is where you can ask for help. You can post in either the Simple Questions thread or the Script Help thread, depending on your problem, they're both stickied. It's a good idea to search before asking, though.

Back