• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Pokemon Y - Fighting Monotype Update #1:
Badges: 4/8

Currently in the Power Plant. I currently cannot check my levels/moves as I don't have my 3DS with me, but here's my team so far.
Spoiler:

---------------------------------------------
I also added a note regarding Oricorio forms, allowing Nectars being traded in to use any form from the first island.
They don't change base stats, and the only thing that changes is the type and the move Revelation Dance, so I felt it would be acceptable to allow this.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 11, 2018
Emerald Bug Monotype Update 2:

• Completely skipped Brawly for the time being
  • Delivered the letter to Steven Stone after wandering in a cave for a while
  • Made it to Slateport
  • Stopped Team Aqua from learning
  • KALA reached Level 20 and evolved, gained a new party member in the form of MALTA the Shedinja
  • Beat May again, KALA tore down Wingull and Grovyle pretty easily

Made some pretty good progress. Current plan: Catch an Illumise, use MALTA against Wattson for all but his Voltorb.

Current Team:
MIKE the Beautifly, Level 20
DUSTER the Dustox, Level 20
KALA the Ninjask, Level 21
and MALTA the Shedinja, Level 20

Update 2.5:

• Beat Wally's Ralts in one hit
  • Beat Wattson

Ditched the plan about Illumise. I'll wait for Anorith, then Heracross. Now, off to some more plot (and also Flannery).

Current Team:
MIKE the Beautifly, Level 21
DUSTER the Dustox, Level 22
KALA the Ninjask, Level 21
and MALTA the Shedinja, Level 22

And if it isn't too much trouble, may I be added to the original post? ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 23, 2019
Forum User Name: MiKyu22
Game(s): Emerald
Pokémon Type: Grass
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Here are my sign-ups for my old challenges:

Forum User Name: Pekin
Game(s): Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, Y, S/M (0/8 - haven't decided on Sun or Moon yet)
Pokémon Type: Fire
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Game(s): LeafGreen, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, Y, S/M (0/8 - haven't decided on Sun or Moon yet)
Pokémon Type: Grass

Game(s): LeafGreen, SoulSilver, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2 (7/8), Y, S/M (0/8 - haven't decided on Sun or Moon yet)
Pokémon Type: Flying

Game(s): Blue, SoulSilver, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, Y (0/8), S/M (0/8 - haven't decided on Sun or Moon yet)
Pokémon Type: Bug

EDIT - Quick question: would you consider allowing Mega Stones and Z-Crystals? They're a pretty large feature in the games they're introduced, and personally I think there's something special about having a "team mega". I care less about Z-crystals, though, but I think it should be up to the player whether or not they want to use megas or Z-moves. Just my two cents.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
EDIT - Quick question: would you consider allowing Mega Stones and Z-Crystals? They're a pretty large feature in the games they're introduced, and personally I think there's something special about having a "team mega". I care less about Z-crystals, though, but I think it should be up to the player whether or not they want to use megas or Z-moves. Just my two cents.

As it says in the OP, they're too overpowered, imo. They make games that are already easy a lot easier with basically no challenge at all.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Would it be too much trouble for me to change the Gen IV section of my Ultimate Fire run from Platinum to Pearl?

I began playing Platinum on an emulator on my phone but I'm finding it runs a little sluggish compared to the older games. I was hoping to play on my handheld DS instead for a smoother experience but I own Pearl and not Platinum.

I started a progression post for Platinum which I will edit and restart for Pearl if this is ok.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Would it be too much trouble for me to change the Gen IV section of my Ultimate Fire run from Platinum to Pearl?

I began playing Platinum on an emulator on my phone but I'm finding it runs a little sluggish compared to the older games. I was hoping to play on my handheld DS instead for a smoother experience but I own Pearl and not Platinum.

I started a progression post for Platinum which I will edit and restart for Pearl if this is ok.

Yeah, no prob. I'll be sure to keep this in mind when I update.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 23, 2019
MK Grassy Journey
Progress: FINISHED

Team:
254.gif

Zoro (Sceptile) Lv. 51
272.gif

Luffy (Ludicolo) Lv. 56
286.gif

Tsunayoshi (Breelom) Lv. 48
357.gif

Big T (Tropius) Lv. 42

HM Slaves:
In honor of:

Poochyena (BOXED)
Spheal
Nincada (BOXED)
Skarmory

Rustboro Gym:
Spoiler:

Dewford Gym:
Spoiler:

Mauwile Gym:
Spoiler:

Lavaridge Gym:
Spoiler:

Petalburg Gym:
Spoiler:

Fortree City
Spoiler:

Lilycove Gym:
Spoiler:

Sootopolis City:
Spoiler:

ELITE FOUR:
Spoiler:

The End
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soooo, i won... you need a picture? something? porcorn?, you will put my name when you update your post, or something?
Just kidding, this challenge as funny and i really liked it, soooo thanks for this oportunid :D (but really, you put my name riiighhtt?... please?)

Last edited:

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Quick question. Rule 5 states you can trade in version exclusives so long as they are in the regional dex.

I switched from Platinum to Pearl which cuts down my fire types significantly, I can only obtain my starter and Ponyta pre-E4.

I wanted to trade over a Platinum exclusive or two so it's not just a two Pokemon bulldoze through the game, but I've realised that Platinum and Pearl do not share a regional pokedex - the fire types available in Platinum are not in Pearl's dex.

Does this mean this challenge must be completed with just the two Pokemon available in Pearl?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 11, 2018
Emerald Bug Monotype Update 3:

• Connected Rustboro and Verdanturf
  • Made way to Meteor Falls, saw Team Magma mug a guy for a space rock
  • Followed Team Magma up a volcano, stopped Maxie from expanding the volcano with a broken itemfinder or something
  • Beat Flannery because her Numel kept using Magnitude against KALA.
  • Took the Claw Fossil and revived an Anorith, named it ARTY

Now on to actually fight Brawly, then Norman.

Current Team:

MIKE the Beautifly, Level 33
DUSTER the Dustox, Level 32
KALA the Ninjask, Level 33
MALTA the Shedinja, Level 32
and ARTY the Anorith, Level 20

I did a little bit of grinding to be strong enough for these fights. Won't need to for Brawly, though!

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
Since I failed my nuzlocke challenge, I feel like doing some monotype runs

Forum User Name: L'Belle
Game(s): Fire Red, Soul Silver, Ruby, Pearl, White 2, Y, Moon
Pokémon Type: Water

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
L'Belle's Adventure on the Big Blue sea!

Currently traveling through: Hoenn (Ruby)
Progress on Ultimate Challenge: Fire Red, Soul Silver, Ruby, Pearl, White 2, Y, Moon

Team:

Spoiler:

Gym Badge Progress: 2/8

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 31, 2022
I FINALLY beat Lenora in White. That Watchog is a beast. Anyway, I'm just about to take on Castelia City's gym, and I got me a new Ground-type pokemon. Here's my team so far.

529.gif

Molloy
Lv. 25

535.gif

Snare
Lv. 24

551.gif

Sandy
Lv. 24

Fire Red 0/8, Soul Silver 0/16, Emerald 8/8, Platinum 0/8, White 2/8, X 0/8, Sun 0/8

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 11, 2018
Emerald Bug Monotype Update 4:

• One-shotted Brawly's entire team
  • Beat Norman, was easier than expected
  • Did more grinding
  • Saved scientists from pirates
  • Beat MAY, again

After Winona, I'll pick a Heracross up from the Safari Zone.

Current Team:

MIKE the Beautifly, Level 34
DUSTER the Dustox, Level 33
KALA the Ninjask, Level 34
MALTA the Shedinja, Level 33
and ARTY the Anorith, Level 33

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years

Progress on Ultimate Challenge: Fire Red, Soul Silver, Ruby, Pearl, White 2, Y, Moon

- Watson was a pushover, thanks to Marshtomp.
- Caught a Marill
- Beat Maxie on Mt. Chimney. Was actually quite the pain, thanks to his Mightyena and Golbat
- Tried to take on Flannery, but her Torkoal wiped me, thanks to me being underleveled.
- Did more than 4 hours of grinding
- Took on flannery again, this time winning easily

Team:

Spoiler:

Gym badge Progress: 4/8

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years

- Explored the desert (which is a lot smaller than I remember)
- Took on Norman, won thanks to dig
- Did some more grinding
- Did the weather institute event
- Beat the Fortree City gym, quite easily actually. I think I overleveled a bit.

Team:

Spoiler:

Gym Badge Progress: 6/8

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 11, 2018
I was going to have another update, but I've decided to take a short break to avoid burnout. Expect me to continue in a couple days. Just in case anybody was curious, I guess.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 31, 2022
So, I started my ground run of Pokemon X last week, and I'm already to Cyllage City. I haven't gotten the badge here yet, but I need to do some serious grinding first. I caught a whole bunch of new ground pokemon on Route 9 and in the Glittering Cave. I'm on the hunt for a Golett on Route 10 too, but so far, no luck. Here's my team now:

111.gif

Rhybecca
Lv. 19

449.gif

Fat Amy
Lv. 20

104.gif

Skullamy
Lv. 20

095.gif

Boulda
Lv. 21

551.gif

Medusa
Lv. 23

660.gif

Babs
Lv. 26

Babs got me through everything up to Route 9 and only got knocked out a couple times, which was pretty impressive. And I don't know how this happened, but every single ground-type pokemon I ran in to first has been female. So, I guess this is an all-girl run too. ;) Also, I am strangely excited to be using Rhyhorn. I've always liked that evolution line (minus Rhyperior of course), and I've never used them. Now's my chance to get some mileage out of Rhybecca. I'm hoping I can get Medusa and Skullamy evolved before I face the gym leader, and I have to go back and find Rock Smash. Right now, Babs is the only one who knows a fighting move, and this gym is going to be really tedious without those.

Fire Red 0/8, Soul Silver 0/8, Emerald 8/8, Platinum 0/8, White 2/8, X 1/8, Sun 0/4

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years

- Replaced Azumarill with Wailmer
- Replaced Gyarados with Spheal
- Beat Tate & Liza
- Beat Team Magma and Groudon
- Beat Wallace
- Grinding in Victory road to around Drake's level (Again, took a while)
- Beat the Elite four (Had the most trouble with Glacia)
- Beat Steven (Cradily and Metagross almost wiped me)

Endgame Team (Ruby)
Spoiler:

Gym Badge Progress: 8/8

Next on my list: Pokémon Moon!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back