• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated/Underrated mons [OUTDATED]

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
So here is a slightly more modern thread I'm also not quite that fond of, although it is way better than the bad threads I made in the two years before it. I couldn't find those old threads though.

Seriously, if anyone managed to find any thread with a similar title and were made by me AND were made 2 years back, DO NOT LOOK AT THOSE ONES. Even this thread is much less cringe and I'd say just stick to this one.

Last edited:

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
Overrated: Ultra Beasts. Sure, they are useful in competition, but most of their design look lazy to me, and don't seem to fit in the Pokémon universe at all

Underrated: Litwick line. I agree with the above for innanimate objects. I don't like a lot of them but the Litwick line to me is mysterious, creepy, has good typing and awesome colouring both Shiny and Non-Shiny.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Overrated: Greninja. I mean, it's a cool 'Mon, but there's no reason why it had to be so privileged over Chesnaught and Delphox.

Underrated: Trubbish/Garbodor, but there is a small, but dedicated fanclub for the line!!

blue

gucci
Years
Overrated - Greninja & Charizard. Said this before but I just don't see the hype of these two and there are many other starters that are much better imo.

Underrated - Vanillite line is my favourite of the Unova Pokémon yet I see so much dislike towards it just because of what the design is based off. It is such a useful Ice-type for any team and when using it in my White Playthrough it helped me out in so many tricky situations.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Overrated

Luxray - It's got a solid design but is nothing special in battle. I used it recently and it was underwhelming to say the least.

Flygon - It's unfortunate that Dragon/Ground got overshadowed by Garchomp but Flygon has always struck me as a middle evolution.

Lucario - Lucario is a cool Pokemon and very useful in battle but is overexposed.

Zoroark - So many great Pokemon in Gen 5 and they chose to highlight this. At least Zorua is cute.

Underrated

Vileplume - A cute Pokemon which was very useful in my Grass Monotypes. Outshining more highlighted Pokemon like Venusaur and Roserade.

Mandibuzz - A great defensive Pokemon.

Misdreavus - There's more to Ghost Pokemon than the Gengar line.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
Charizard - Cannot be denied, though it is arguably one of the most popular of all,
Game Freak takes use of that fact. With two Mega Evolutions instead of one, for example.
I love Charizard myself, but yeah, it should not get that much credit.

Mewtwo - I never felt something for Mewtwo. I don't think he is the best Pokémon of all, either.
And it has two Mega Evolutions as well.

Lugia - I think it is overall more favoured than Ho-Oh. Personally, I disagree on it.
Lugia is cool, but I think Ho-Oh's design is much more striking and is overall one of my favorite legendaries.

Lucario - I like Lucario a lot, but so does GF. It is probably their favorite Pokémon seeing
how many roles it gets in the games and anime. Even so, I also feel Lucario gets a bit of undeserved
backlash from fans. Lucario has two sides to my view. It is overrated and overhated.

Garchomp - Here's one I just don't get it's popularity. Yeah, competitively it is strong,
but its design just does not strike me.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
Years
320px-Professor_Oak_Laboratory_Pidgey.png

Pidgey is probably in the top 10 of most underrated Pokemon of Kanto. But they will always have my #2 spot on my favorites yo.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I feel like Lucario is somewhat overrated. I think it's an interesting Pokemon but I don't see why so many people love its design or power so much. I feel like Lucario is often chosen as a good fighting type yet there are other good fighting types in Sinnoh in the form of Pokemon like Medicham, Gallade or even Machamp which are more overlooked. I've also never liked its design that much or found it cool. I can appreciate its steel/fighting typing though - that's definitely cool for sure.

As for underrated Pokemon, I feel like a lot of Pokemon deserve more love! Stunfisk is often overlooked and seen as useless but I actually love its design. It looks like a squished pancake to me and whilst that doesn't sound very appealing, I think its design is cute. It also looks unfortunate to the point where you can't help but feel bad for poor Stunfisk. Its electric / ground typing is also one of the more interesting typings, in my opinion! Other pokemon I find really underrated are Rampardos, Drampa, Swalot and Trubbish for different reasons.

Years
It's hard to argue against Greninja for overrated and Trubbish/Garbodor for underrated.

Greninja became very popular very fast and I kind of understand why. It's a cool concept (I mean it is a freaking ninja) like Decidueye were I think the designers probably knew they were on to something popular from an early stage. The issue for me though is that it doesn't actually look cool from my perspective, in this case very much unlike Decidueye were the execution is flawless and it instantly became one of my favourites. Throw in me not watching the anime and being a big Delphox fan and Greninja has never had a chance to grow on me.

I think a lot of TCG players appreciate Garbodor for its various useful cards over the years, but other Pokémon fans still hate on it as one of the poor Gen 5 designs. Imo it's one of the better Gen 5 designs, which isn't saying much but still. I'd direct my ire for Gen V designs at 'mons like Stunfisk and Basculin rather than Garbodor.

I feel like those two are pretty obvious so some less obvious considerations.

Overrated
Aegislash - I don't hate pokémon based on inanimate objects, in fact some are my faves, but there's really just no personality here. I don't think it would be half as popular if it wasn't good competitively. It's literally just a sword and shield.

Kyogre - Initially I didn't think this guy was too popular, but recently I've seen a lot of people express a liking for it. Plus reddit recently had a mega-survey which contained various questions on the franchise, in one of them Kyogre was somehow voted more popular than Groudon. Once again, this is me basing an answer almost entirely on design but Kyogre is ugly af. Groudon comes across as a menacing legendary, Kyogre is just a bigger version of the numerous bad water-type designs we have had.

Underrated
Goldeen - I love its gormless expression, I think I've been a fan ever since I saw it splashing around in the pokémon center in an early anime episode. It loses its appeal when it evolves into Seaking though

Shroomish - I don't think anyone hates this little guy, but he doesn't get much love either. Once again it's a personality thing and I love his permanently angry expression. Again it loses the appeal when it evolve, but Breloom is okay too. Shroomish is definitely our best mushroom/funghi based pokémon.

Razoozle

Charmander!
Years
As a guy that really likes Charmander and its evolutions, as well as picking it as a starter in all the games that allowed me to, I have to agree on Charizard getting a little too much attention.
I mean, two mega evolutions? All he needed was charizardite x.

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
I believe Weavile is underrated. Sure, it gets a lot of flak for how easy it is to take down from a competitive standpoint, but I've always thought it was a great evolution for Sneasel. I always felt like Sneasel needed an evolution, so I was excited when we got one in gen IV. I think it's design is great and was the perfect evolution for Sneasel.

Razoozle

Charmander!
Years
I think mainly because "fire breathing dragon" but it has always been a popular image in Pokemon because in the main games Charizard was right on the cover and also was pretty popular in the anime.

Reactions: Nah

smocks

fiat lux
Years
The Drifloon line is p underrated, yes It does have a ton of weaknesses and it doesn't have the greatest move pool, but the Drifblim Ace in Platnium is crazy strong and it's p good in game once its on a roll.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 21, 2021
Overrated: Mewtwo because of his theme of power.

Underrated: Kyurem. People underate White Kyurem and Black Kyurem to start with, but a whole lot of the people who like Kyurem's formes like White Kyurem or Black Kyurem better. I seriously think Kyurem is underrated.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Every Pokémon in the Smash roster, except Pikachu (it's the mascot, so yeah) and Ivysaur is ovverrated. Some other Generation I Pokémon, and maybe Zoroark, too.

As for underrated, there are hell lot of them. Trubbish, Garbodor, Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe... Sucks to see people hating on Generation V simply because of the Pokémon designs.

Years
I never used a Huntail, but it's derpy design drew me in. I wish I could evolve my Clamperl in Emerald, but I don't think I have what I need to evolve it. :(

Overrated mons? I have a list....basically, I agree with everyone's opinion here on the overrated.

Ida13

Gone For a While
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 6, 2017
The ones who are more popular than they should be are.
Charizard: It's good in competitive and has a good design, yes, but Venusaur is better, and for the type combination, there is Moltres.
Kyogre: This legendary is not even close to as good as Groudon or Rayquaza, and there are much better water legendaries like Palkia.
Mewtwo: Probably my least favorite legendary. It has a uninteresting design, and Mew is better.
The ones that are not very popular but should be:
Dedenne: It is cute, and has a unique type. It isn't the best copetitevley, but its cute!
Leafeon: My favorite eevee evolution. It is cute, and okay competitevley.
Others are Gorebyss, Manectric, Lycanroc, Glaceon, Woobat, Deerling, Diancie,, and Keldeo.

Back