• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Ratings

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
My 2nd last post has a link that goes directly to the ratings that update weekly, ergo, I didn't think it was necessary to keep posting.

The last one shows 3.5 but I think that was for SM032 and not the one that just aired.

Hmm, okay. Either way, not exactly an impressive rating. Well, the one that just aired will probably occur this Thursday or Friday, especially considering there probably won't be a new episode due to this week being the official premiere of the 20th Movie.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 22, 2017
Lillie has nothing to do with the ratings. The ratings are down because Pokemon is not a big name anymore like it was in the past.

He is right in a way because all the Lillie's episodes got terrible ratings for now , even the 20th anniversary opening couldn't even save her episode (SM030 when the new opening was first used).
Not saying that Lillie is a bad character or that she should be removed though, it's one of the best character so far but the ratings about her episodes are a reality, Lillie's episodes are the lowest episodes with SM09 and SM026.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Lillie has nothing to do with the ratings. The ratings are down because Pokemon is not a big name anymore like it was in the past.
Agree to disagree. I choose to believe ratings have been down since iris, serena and lillie came into the picture.

You don't have to agree but please don't argue with me.

Anyway, ratings could pick up if a great arc shows up.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
He is right in a way because all the Lillie's episodes got terrible ratings for now , even the 20th anniversary opening couldn't even save her episode (SM030 when the new opening was first used).
Not saying that Lillie is a bad character or that she should be removed though, it's one of the best character so far but the ratings about her episodes are a reality, Lillie's episodes are the lowest episodes with SM09 and SM026.

Agree to disagree. I choose to believe ratings have been down since iris, serena and lillie came into the picture.

Lillie episodes gotten low ratings that's a really big surprise. I doubt getting rid of Lillie will change the ratings.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 22, 2017

Hum... Iris Serena and Lillie came when it was literally the death of the anime industry on TV because of the popularity of Internet , Youtube , streaming and stuffs... Even popular TV shows don't have the ratings they had in the past because now people have Internet , replays , streaming to watch it whenever they want.
It's unlogic to compare 1999-2002-2006 and 2013-2017 y'know, the show has been around for 20 years so it's perfectly normal that it lose popularity but it doesn't mean that it's because of the new Pokegirls , if for you that's the case it's ok but it doesn't mean it's a fact.

But I do agree that Lillie's episodes lack of ratings , probably because Japanese don't like anime Lillie as much as games Lillie.

SM008 = less than 3.3 when all the previous episodes got more than 3.7 , first time that S&M is not in the top 10 ranking then the interest drop really hard with a 2.7 for SM009

SM014 = 3.9 while all the previous episode got 4.0

SM027 = flop , not even in the top 10 and Gladion's first appearance didn't even help to bring the hype = 3.0

SM030 : 3.4 even the new nostalgia opening to promote the movie didn't help her, SM029 did 4.3.

I wonder what they'll do in the future with the next Lillie's episodes...

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Hum... Iris Serena and Lillie came when it was literally the death of the anime industry on TV because of the popularity of Internet , Youtube , streaming and stuffs... Even popular TV shows don't have the ratings they had in the past because now people have Internet , replays , streaming to watch it whenever they want.
It's unlogic to compare 1999-2002-2006 and 2013-2017 y'know, the show has been around for 20 years so it's perfectly normal that it lose popularity but it doesn't mean that it's because of the new Pokegirls , if for you that's the case it's ok but it doesn't mean it's a fact.

But I do agree that Lillie's episodes lack of ratings , probably because Japanese don't like anime Lillie as much as games Lillie.

SM008 = less than 3.3 when all the previous episodes got more than 3.7 , first time that S&M is not in the top 10 ranking then the interest drop really hard with a 2.7 for SM009

SM027 = flop , not even in the top 10 and Gladion's first appearance didn't even help to bring the hype = 3.0

SM030 : 3.4 even the new nostalgia opening to promote the movie didn't help her, SM029 did 4.3.

I never said it was fact. It is my opinion. But lets see if the ratings get back up.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Actually, BanFairy, the internet doesn't really have much impact on ratings. I know because I can name quite a few examples where shows stayed having very high ratings in SPITE of the internet streaming services. For example, NCIS. That consistently got very high ratings. In fact, the ratings for NCIS's 14th season, its most recent season, managed to get ratings in the 15s, basically comparable to the Kanto season's episodes. NCIS: Los Angeles's 8th season, while not particularly good, still managed to do modestly regarding the season. And NCIS: New Orleans got pretty much the same ratings as NCIS: Los Angeles (and that was DESPITE airing late at night). Blue Bloods' seventh season got similarly high ratings. I'm not sure if I'd call Last Man Standing's ratings to be particularly good, but I do know that apparently, people when complaining about Last Man Standing's cancellation mentioned it got very good ratings. And all of that was DESPITE the internet streaming.

if anything, I'd suspect that Pokémon's current low ratings in Japan deals with extreme unpopularity with the anime franchise right now (the fact that the XY movies did horribly at the box office, with the last two even outranking Pokémon Heroes as the worst performing Pokémon movie ever certainly points to that bit, not to mention Japanese critics are giving a lot of negative reviews for Movie 20 from pre-screenings apparently, meaning it's more likely than not going to turn out similarly.). I can't personally speak for whether Lillie is part of the reason for its unpopularity or not, but she might be, alongside changing up the formula needlessly.

Years
if anything, I'd suspect that Pokémon's current low ratings in Japan deals with extreme unpopularity with the anime franchise right now (the fact that the XY movies did horribly at the box office, with the last two even outranking Pokémon Heroes as the worst performing Pokémon movie ever certainly points to that bit, not to mention Japanese critics are giving a lot of negative reviews for Movie 20 from pre-screenings apparently, meaning it's more likely than not going to turn out similarly.). I can't personally speak for whether Lillie is part of the reason for its unpopularity or not, but she might be, alongside changing up the formula needlessly.

This would make sense, though I never knew that the Japanese audience preferred Lillie's games counterpart. Guess it may be the whole rewriting of her backstory that ruined her anime self for them.

There's also the fact that the formula change was done as an attempt to try and bring back kids who ditched Pokemon for Yo-Kai Watch, hence the notable similarities to Yo-Kai's anime, like the school setting and Rotom Dex being an expy of Whisper.

Considering the 20th movie's latest controversy and how it was written into its current state as a last-minute ditch to promote merchandise and show the beginning of Ash's journey for a new generation of the target audience who were born long after OS finished, I wouldn't be surprised if it failed at the box office. Personally, I feel Pokemon should give up with the movies.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
This would make sense, though I never knew that the Japanese audience preferred Lillie's games counterpart. Guess it may be the whole rewriting of her backstory that ruined her anime self for them.

Probably wouldn't surprise me. I heard a lot of people prefer Serena's manga self over her anime self, for example (don't know about her game self). And yeah, removing what was a valid backstory to use for her is not cool, and probably is a pretty big contribution to the failing ratings. Isn't the only time they've arguably ruined characters, though: They actually made Mimikyu out to be downright genocidal against Pikachu, even though that was NEVER implied in the games (quite the opposite, actually, it poses as Pikachu specifically because it simply wants the kind of love Pikachu gets). Least, that's what I heard.

There's also the fact that the formula change was done as an attempt to try and bring back kids who ditched Pokemon for Yo-Kai Watch, hence the notable similarities to Yo-Kai's anime, like the school setting and Rotom Dex being an expy of Whisper.

Maybe on paper it was meant to reflect Yo-Kai Watch, but in practice, it comes across as looking more like The Emperor's New School from the Disney Channel (you know, that animated TV series where Emperor Kuzco, in order to retain his position as Emperor, basically needed to go to the school he founded as a student and pass it, and Yzma, who obviously still has a grudge against him for his firing her in the prior film, tries to find any way to have Kuzco fail at school). But yeah, that most likely backfired on the writers, given the low ratings (it may be slightly higher than XY's ratings, but not by much). Besides, ignoring that Ash has been travelling through six, maybe eight regions [counting the Orange and DeColore Islands] for 20 years, not to mention competing in the Kanto, Orange, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos leagues plus the Battle Frontier during that time and thus shouldn't even NEED to go back to school by this point, wasn't it already established way back in Kanto that Ash doesn't even NEED school in the first place when he had his Pikachu beat that top student Giselle's Cubone? So why after all this time does he suddenly need to just go back to school to such an extent that CoroCoro indicated that his new goal is to "graduate like never before?"

Considering the 20th movie's latest controversy and how it was written into its current state as a last-minute ditch to promote merchandise and show the beginning of Ash's journey for a new generation of the target audience who were born long after OS finished, I wouldn't be surprised if it failed at the box office. Personally, I feel Pokemon should give up with the movies.

Based on Japanese critics apparently thinking that Movie 20 is merely a "cash grab" flick (not to mention how Japanese fans managed to take to Twitter to vocally express outrage over replacing Misty and Brock. I only know of one other time the Japanese proceeded to swarm Twitter and express outrage over something the writers did, and that was with the aftermath of the infamous Ash and Alain battle during the Kalos League, so I definitely know that what the writers did there was a terrible decision if even the Japanese base was outraged over it. And I suspect that after some recent revelations of what the original M20 was going to be about [I'll give you a hint, it has an all-star cast], I suspect the outrage is going to be even worse than before.), I wouldn't be surprised if it manages to outright bomb in the box office (in fact, I suspect it will be a far bigger bomb than the Hoopa movie OR the Volcanion movie). And yeah, they might as well give up on the movies at this point, if not the anime, especially if it essentially makes the third strike regarding box office bombs. In fact, at this point, they may not even have a choice now but to quit. Even if it DOESN'T turn out to be a box office bomb, they don't really have much of a choice but to do so considering they decided to just distribute Marshadow, the only Gen VII Mythical Pokémon that's NOT named Magearna, with this film and make him a central character, when Ash-Hat Pikachu sufficed enough as a distribution Pokémon for the movie, which essentially means they don't have any material to work with for another Pokémon movie.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
I'm not surprise why the ratings are down. The show has been on a decline since the AG/DP era. The XY series wasn't that good either and the Kalos League being handled poorly didn't help the ratings do any better.

SM ratings are a hit and miss as of right now.

Last edited:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
SM ratings are where it should be... If you look at the currently airing shows right now and you'll see just how top heavy the Japanese animation ratings are. Pokemon will never be able to crack the top five because of:

Sazae-chan, Shin-chan, Doreomon, Moruko-chan, and Oh yeah One Piece, DB super, Detective Conan... not to mention Pre-cure.

The show could probably hit the top 5 in the 90's when Pokemon Exploded in popularity, similar to how Yokai Watch did it a couple years ago. but both shows are where they're suppose to be. Sazae-chan, Shin-chan, Doreomon, Moruko-chan, Detective Conan are all super popular shows aimed at all audiences, Young to Old and all those in between watch and love the show to death (I'm biased towards Doreamon and Conan myself XD)

Shounen anime like One Piece and DB Super so popular in Japan that you can literally ask some random kid/Teen on the street about the latest Episode/Chapter.

That's what the Pokemon Anime is competing with... timeless shows, so engraved in the lives of audiences that they always go back to it time and time and again. Really Pokemon consistently cracking the top ten after all these years is impressive enough if you ask me.

CidHazard

Years
Additionaly

Sazae-chan, Shin-chan, Doreamon, Moruko-chan are all old ass japanese cartoons... how old?

Sazea-chan the show that consistently tops the TV animated chart has been airing since 1969 it has 7500+ episodes...

Doreamon (Arguably my favorite japanese cartoon) 1972 with 1700+ episodes the series was revived in 2005 after fan reception and still airs to this day...

Shin-chan - 1992 980+ episodes

Chibi Maruko-chan? - 1986 - 1992 142 episodes and a 1995 - Present with 1041 episodes.

All of these shows have also been extremely popular manga/news paper comics... so they where ingrained in the minds of the japanese populates.

Now tell me... how are you going to compete with that? Even One Piece... ONE PIECE!!! can barely compete with those shows in terms of ratings...

All of the shows I also mentioned above all wen't on brief hiatuses on the turn of the century. So it was much easier for Pokemon to hit the top 5 when it was the "IT" thing in japan... Now tho all of the shows are back and Pokemon isn't the "IT" show anymore... that's Yokai watch which (as I've stated a thousand times before) slowly declining in popularity.

It's amazing that Pokemon of all things has aired for this long. Just like Mobile Suit Gundam... Yu-gi-oh... and Bayblade as long as somebody is buying the games/toys/merch... the show isn't going to die.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
SM ratings are where it should be... If you look at the currently airing shows right now and you'll see just how top heavy the Japanese animation ratings are. Pokemon will never be able to crack the top five because of:

Sazae-chan, Shin-chan, Doreomon, Moruko-chan, and Oh yeah One Piece, DB super, Detective Conan... not to mention Pre-cure.

The show could probably hit the top 5 in the 90's when Pokemon Exploded in popularity, similar to how Yokai Watch did it a couple years ago. but both shows are where they're suppose to be. Sazae-chan, Shin-chan, Doreomon, Moruko-chan, Detective Conan are all super popular shows aimed at all audiences, Young to Old and all those in between watch and love the show to death (I'm biased towards Doreamon and Conan myself XD)

Shounen anime like One Piece and DB Super so popular in Japan that you can literally ask some random kid/Teen on the street about the latest Episode/Chapter.

That's what the Pokemon Anime is competing with... timeless shows, so engraved in the lives of audiences that they always go back to it time and time and again. Really Pokemon consistently cracking the top ten after all these years is impressive enough if you ask me.

Additionaly

Sazae-chan, Shin-chan, Doreamon, Moruko-chan are all old ass japanese cartoons... how old?

Sazea-chan the show that consistently tops the TV animated chart has been airing since 1969 it has 7500+ episodes...

Doreamon (Arguably my favorite japanese cartoon) 1972 with 1700+ episodes the series was revived in 2005 after fan reception and still airs to this day...

Shin-chan - 1992 980+ episodes

Chibi Maruko-chan? - 1986 - 1992 142 episodes and a 1995 - Present with 1041 episodes.

All of these shows have also been extremely popular manga/news paper comics... so they where ingrained in the minds of the japanese populates.

Now tell me... how are you going to compete with that? Even One Piece... ONE PIECE!!! can barely compete with those shows in terms of ratings...

All of the shows I also mentioned above all wen't on brief hiatuses on the turn of the century. So it was much easier for Pokemon to hit the top 5 when it was the "IT" thing in japan... Now tho all of the shows are back and Pokemon isn't the "IT" show anymore... that's Yokai watch which (as I've stated a thousand times before) slowly declining in popularity.

It's amazing that Pokemon of all things has aired for this long. Just like Mobile Suit Gundam... Yu-gi-oh... and Bayblade as long as somebody is buying the games/toys/merch... the show isn't going to die.

You know, Pokémon, especially the original series, was very well known among Japan and actually timeless (heck, even kids who most likely weren't even OLD enough to have watched the original series as it aired at the very least have at the very least heard of Misty and Brock, and a lot of them actually want those two, and Serena for that matter, to make a return. That sounds a whole lot like its timeless.), so I don't buy that claim at all. And considering Pokémon right now is essentially a Western executive-run show right now in all but name (the writers have little say at this point, and all the decisions are essentially made by executives, just like in the West as you claimed earlier), if the anime is going low on ratings and, by this point, box office numbers (the Hoopa and Volcanion movies were worse box office bombs than even Pokémon Heroes back in 2002 [in fact, the Hoopa movie did so poorly that the guys who generally publish box office receipts for any newly airing movies didn't even BOTHER to post the revenue until well after its airing, it did THAT badly, and the Volcanion movie apparently did even worse than that.], and based on some of the negative feedback I've heard of on Twitter and even shortly before the film's release, the recent movie's definitely going to be a box office bomb.), it's pretty obvious that the plug needs to be pulled, top 10 or not (and at this rate, Pokémon's barely even making the top 10 anyways, many times actually dropping from even that). Here, even if it had marketing potential, if an executive sees low ratings, they pull it off the air, even if it IS selling toys. And for the record, the whole reason the films are made since Jirachi Wishmaker is as an excuse to distribute mythical Pokémon, so if they do poorly there, they failed at their objective of marketing.

Either way, as it is Pokémon is not doing too hot at all, and quite frankly should have been cancelled. I know if I were a Japanese executive and I saw the bad ratings, I wouldn't even CARE if it's selling merchandise, I'd STILL cancel it precisely BECAUSE it's getting bad ratings.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Children's cartoons like Pokémon are made to sell the merchandise and the games. As long as it is getting money from those and the network is getting the advertising dollars, it's going to stay on.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Children's cartoons like Pokémon are made to sell the merchandise and the games. As long as it is getting money from those and the network is getting the advertising dollars, it's going to stay on.

Try telling that to the likes of NBC's Super Mario World. Oh, wait! You can't! That got cancelled a long time ago within a single season with no real ending, all because of bad ratings even when it actually SOLD several copies of the eponymous game.

And for the record, in order to make a huge amount of advertising money, they'd ALSO need high ratings. That's also why a lot of shows actually get cancelled if they fail to make high ratings. That especially goes for the Pokémon movies, which also are pretty much advertisements for the Mythical Pokémon ever since Jirachi Wishmaker, and considering how badly the Hoopa and Volcanion movies have done, they've utterly FAILED in that objective. The price of the mythical Pokémon is essentially the same as the movie tickets, since you get the Pokémon for free if you go see the movie and pay for the ticket. And if the box office is a bust, that means they've failed to sell enough Mythical Pokémon, ergo, a marketing disaster. That also applies to the show especially with its low ratings, low ratings = low revenue, advertising or otherwise. And there are PLENTY of ways people could get the new games and merchandise besides watching the show. They could hear about a new game from Famitsu or CoroCoro, so we can't say the anime is the one that's driving people to see it. If anything, the anime's a POOR way to determine if people are getting merchandise. One could just as easily not even see or have even heard about the anime yet still get merchandise just by looking at a Sears catalogue or looking up CoroCoro/Famitsu. Heck, my decision to get Gold and Silver, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, the First Gen Remakes, and DP was primarily due to Nintendo Power and the internet, and the anime had very little, if any role in my decision (in fact, when I got those games, especially Generation 3, I wasn't even WATCHING Pokémon anymore).

And my point still stands, most executives will pull the plug if there is any failure in revenue, whether it's very low ratings or a box office disaster, many times not even CARING if there's other factors in play, meaning Pokémon definitely would have been cancelled a long time ago because of that, and certainly today considering the sordid ratings for SM and the likely bomb that is this current movie. If I were a Japanese executive, like I said, I would have cancelled Pokémon specifically BECAUSE it turned out bad ratings, not even caring if it sold any merchandise or games because, if it's got bad ratings, it's a failure, no questions asked.

Last edited:

CidHazard

Years
LOL I feel like we've had this debate thousands of times now
weedle_mchairybug... it never gets old :D

We've already talked about the Mario show dude... That show was an American cartoon produced my DIC Entertainment intended to only run for 12 episodes. We're not talking about Japanese television here. That show didn't even touched Japanese shores.

Yu-gi-oh and Beyblade still gets animated adaptions... and they don't even touch the ratings board. they've been on air since what 2000? The only thing keeping those shows afloat is one thing Merchendise.

Even Gundam one of the grandfathers of modern anime... only live thru merch. By your logic the show is an absolute failure right?

So tell me how those shows are still ongoing to this day and yet they don't really make much revenue of ad's from TV?

This is never going to end :D since both of us aren't going to budge on our opinions. You have more knowledge when it comes to US serialization, Studios, and shows and probably live in america while I've studied Japanese Television studios, culture, Japanese media and lived there for a time.

We're never going to see eye too eye on this. But hey doesn't mean I don't like the never ending debate. (^ω^ )

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
LOL I feel like we've had this debate thousands of times now
weedle_mchairybug... it never gets old :D

We've already talked about the Mario show dude... That show was an American cartoon produced my DIC Entertainment intended to only run for 12 episodes. We're not talking about Japanese television here. That show didn't even touched Japanese shores.

Yu-gi-oh and Beyblade still gets animated adaptions... and they don't even touch the ratings board. they've been on air since what 2000? The only thing keeping those shows afloat is one thing Merchendise.

Even Gundam one of the grandfathers of modern anime... only live thru merch. By your logic the show is an absolute failure right?

So tell me how those shows are still ongoing to this day and yet they don't really make much revenue of ad's from TV?

This is never going to end :D since both of us aren't going to budge on our opinions. You have more knowledge when it comes to US serialization, Studios, and shows and probably live in america while I've studied Japanese Television studios, culture, Japanese media and lived there for a time.

We're never going to see eye too eye on this. But hey doesn't mean I don't like the never ending debate. (^ω^ )

If they make little ratings, they shouldn't make significantly high revenue especially from advertising those stuff, period. Merely selling a product is not going to be enough. Don't forget that's EXACTLY what Super Mario World did for us Americans and presumably Europeans regarding its TV show and the game. The TV show was meant to market the game, arguably succeeded on that front by even selling some. It still made zero difference for the executives.

And even if we are to go by your examples of Beyblade and Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon's actually pretty different in that regard because a whole lot of people can find out about, not to mention play the games without even WATCHING the anime, just going for different sources as a reason to get them. CoroCoro Magazine, for one. Maybe also Weekly Famitsu as well. And they can also get merchandise without having recently watched the anime. As a matter of fact, I learned of the Japanese merchandising for Misty last year and now on Tumblr of all places, and I even went to great lengths to make sure I get at least the 20th anniversary figure (and would have gotten the one for this year, a Gachapon figure, if the preorders didn't run out), and in fact, the 20th anniversary figurine even was one of the reasons why I modified the boycott was modified specifically to exempt Misty-related products. And as I pointed out, I didn't even need the anime to get the Gen 3 games, and even with Gen 2 and Gen 4 where I watched a bit of it but stopped for various reasons, they played a very minimal reason in my trying to get it. If I could get the games or even merchandising without even watching the anime at all, or at least having it play so minor of a role that it wasn't even worth citing it as a reason, I'm definitely sure the Japanese can do the exact same thing, which is why using the anime as a means to sell merch is actually a horrible way to gauge whether it actually IS doing well because there's far too many factors besides the anime to take into account. Heck, I'm pretty sure the guys who are doing Pokemon Go haven't even focused on the anime, either. Now, if they did a survey and it's made clear that a majority of people got the game/merch specifically because of the anime, like what Club Nintendo did when asking what motivated them to buy Nintendo products, then I'll take back what I said.

And it still doesn't change that the ratings on Pokemon are doing terribly enough that it if anything WOULD be on the chopping block. And while there is a silver lining in that the recent movie is making the number 1 spot in the box office despite prior criticism among Japanese critics (not to mention the Twitter outrage), we can't say whether it will be a very huge success even WITH that (the Diancie Movie was the previous film to make #1 in the box office, and while doing better than Pokemon Heroes ultimately, it so underperformed otherwise that they actually fired the guy who wrote the movies since the Celebi movie and replaced him because of it, based on what Dogasu said here: http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/old_news_archive/january_2015.html ).

CidHazard

Years
If they make little ratings, they shouldn't make significantly high revenue especially from advertising those stuff, period. Merely selling a product is not going to be enough. Don't forget that's EXACTLY what Super Mario World did for us Americans and presumably Europeans regarding its TV show and the game. The TV show was meant to market the game, arguably succeeded on that front by even selling some. It still made zero difference for the executives.

Weedle... the numbers we're pulling are just from the Kanto prefecture in japan... There are seven in total. If we're pulling numbers from the entirety of japan... If we where then we'd see more re-runs and Japanese cartoons like Doreamon in the top 10 maybe with One piece sneaking in there somewhere.

In truth the numbers we're seeing only reflect what those in Kanto are watching. And only a fraction of what we're seeing from japan.

Also, Super Mario World is a horrible example dude. As it never aired in japan and really in all forms western base. From the Animation studio too the writers Nintendo only gave them permission to use their copyrighted materials.

Japan also doesn't have a bagillion different channels/networks with shows that compete with one another. In the US unless you have a solid following, your gone the next month... seriously its messed up how many promising shows get the boot after a couple of episodes. If the show's successful then the show is extended beyond its shelf life. Japanese shows also don't compete with reality show garbage, that monopolize the ratings.

Western shows eat each other, leaving the strong to either end on a high note or slowly fade to mediocrity and die. The creators don't really have a say if they're shows get cancelled right? Its all "The executives" and unless the creator is super influential/rich or there's enough of a cult following for the show so they could at least get a movie that ties off the lose ends or if they're lucky another season. Most shows also get cancelled in the middle of their season...

In Japan the creators have a say to whether the show continues or not. What if the animation studio's already fully booked or their contract ran out for the season? they can just find another studio to make the show for them. Most channels also have tons of slots for different shows, unless its primetime.

It's up to Nintendo if they wan't to keep the show alive or not... not some TV executive.

And even if we are to go by your examples of Beyblade and Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon's actually pretty different in that regard because a whole lot of people can find out about, not to mention play the games without even WATCHING the anime, just going for different sources as a reason to get them.

Both weekly Famitsu and Corocoro only provide coverage and a review. They won't help to sustain the popularity of the game. Not to mention that kid's don't tend to buy those magazines... as they are geared towards teen/young adults.

Since both Beyblade and Yugioh both have healthy fanbases who can play the games nowadays. Then the anime should've been canceled a long time ago by your logic. Both shows, just like Pokemon, only slightly adapt the rules of their source material, making the show rather nonsensical and insane most times. The cards are also useless filler (Or too broken to be used in the actual card game to begin with.), and the real powerful cards/archetypes (Or bases and blades in Bayblade) can't be found in the anime, so most Japanese 'gamers?' are getting they're information elsewhere. Really there's no point to both anime nowadays cause they can just find the information out, in most hobby magazines like Corocoro and Famitsu right?

Inazuma 11 is also an Anime completely reliant on its source-material. But really mirror Pokemon to the purest extent. Since both are originally video games... Every single iteration of Inazuma 11 from the first game to Go to galaxy They all had an anime tie in... most of them are 100+ episode long. Did you see Inazuma 11 in the ratings? Inazuma 11 is made by level-5 and would certainly find coverage from famitsu and corocoro and yet all the iterations of the show still had an anime tie in...

Like the Pokemon anime, the shows I mentioned above are suppose to sustain the games/hobbies popularity and serve as an entry point for children who really have no Idea what a Pokemon a Yugioh or a Bayblade or an Inazuma 11 is. Not to mention the show has its own fanbase separate from the games.

Last edited:
Back