• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What animes/manga are you guys into right now

Years
Right now I'm only watching Higurashi no naku Koro Ni Kai (this is the second season the first not having the "Kai" attached) and it is a show I highly recommend if you like having your head messed with and Naruto Shippuden, which is starting to get very interesting. I sometimes watch BW but I'm really far behind and I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as the series before it and I recently finished Orphen but I'm yet to be brave enough to watch Orphen: Revenge since it is supposedly nowhere near as good as the original.

I'm planning on watching several different anime such as Fairy Tail, Death Note, Bleach, Tenjou Tenge, Darker then Black and several others. I'm also considering re-watching Elfen Lied and/or Arcana Famiglia.

As for manga I don't really read it much to be honest but I'm thinking of reading the manga for Shadow Star (Narutaru) since it is supposed to be vastly superior to the anime.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Nothing at the moment, I tried getting into a few of them recently but I lost interest. (Sword Art online was one of them)

My favourite animes are like Shiki and Darker Than Black. Are there any current animes that are similar to these?

It seems like the majority of new animes have really boring concepts behind them. I'm looking for something creative with dynamic characters. Something that will get the brain whizzing.

(On another note, does anyone know of any anime websites or blogs that focus more on animes like Darker Than Black rather than Romance/slice of life animes?

Last edited:

Oshy

♩♫♩
Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2013
KriegStein reccomended that I watch The Count of Monte Cristo: Gankutsuou. I am really surprised with this anime.

It really is eye candy. Everything you see is a texture; hair isn't just one color, it's an actual texture! Everything is just so real! Elaborate designs on teacups, and there's a flying saucer that is made out of some type of metal where you can actually see reflections in it. Everything visual is amazing. Here is a picture I snapped of a hobo dancing during Carnival:
Spoiler:

Can't you just see how colorful it is?

Oh, and the voice actors are just amazing. One character is very, somewhat, seductive. And her voice actor did a great portraying just that! Oh! And whoever plays the voice of The Count is simply amazing. It's all just so real.

The plot is really amazing, too. It really keeps you on the edge of your set and shows you the real bond between two friends. Besides, every episode literally is a cliff hanger!

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
Now that I'm thinking of it,anyone recommend a horror anime to me?I've seen Elfen Lied and the first season of Higarashi,and that messed with my head a alot o-o.

Isamu Akai

The Chosen One
Years
im currently watching kyou kara maou(Gods saves our King) and wooohhh this is really a amazing anime.....and Yuuri shibuya is very cute:3
and eventually finish the K project and waiting for its season 2 this year I cant wait for this.........

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I just watched an anime short called Little Witch Academia on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99JMLCPJIQ

Go watch it, you won't regret it. First anime in a while that's really pulled me into it's world. The animation is superb.

I'm just sad that it's not going to be a series. It was so short lived. :(

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Pushing myself to finish Gurren Lagann, pretty close! I also started Sailor Moon and making myself watch that too. I got tired of everyone else having seen it but me. :P I also started Puella Magi Madoka and I'm about halfway through.

There's so much more anime I want to watch there's just so little time ;;

Years
I'm an episode away from finishing Samerai Shamploo, whcih I've enjoyed very much. Otherwise I've been hacking away through D GrayMan and Kaze No Stigma.

I'm in love with D GrayMan, but a little upset that Netflix cuts it off after 1 season, and then the dub cuts off a season later. I don't mind watching things subbed, but I realllly dislike switching between the two.

I'm not really sure why I'm continuing Kaze No Stigma, I guess I just like the idea of a Wind Magic user. idk.

I might get back to catching up on Bleach...might.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I've been slowly making my way through all of Lyrical Nanoha. I kind of grew fond of magical girls after watching stuff with my daughter and my friend said that Nanoha is really good, and he was right. Currently I'm a quarter of the way through A's.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
Years
I'm currently downloading the full series of Shippuden. Watched every episode up to it and just never watched Naruto again .-.
Heard its a great series doe~

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I am currently re-watching Blood C and just began watching Angel Beats.

As for manga, I began reading the new Blood C manga (just came out this month) and Rosario + Vampire. I am also re-reading the Pokemon Adventure manga because it is just so good!

Years
Well just because I have nothing better to do here's a bit of an update

Recently Finished
Higorashi no naku koro ni and higurashi no naku koro ni kai

Still Watching
Naruto Shippuden
Pokemon B/W (RD)
MAR - Honestly this is solely for nostalgias sake, don't judge me.

Going to watch
Darker than Black
High School of the Dead
Elfen Lied (rewatch)

Considering
Gantz
Epitaph
Mirrai Nikki
Bleach
Death Note
Gai-Rei and Gai-Rei: Zero
Angel Beats
Shakugan no Shana
Pandora Hearts
Tenjou Tenge
Zetsuen no Tempest
Higurashi no naku koro ni rei/kira
Umineko no naku koro ni

As for the "considering" section, are there any of those you highly recommend (why) and should I remove any of them?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
@ gimmepie, I can recommend Shakugan no Shana. The story is cool enough and the battles are good but it focuses on the relationship between the protagonist and Shana and it's really cute and funny and good.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I just recently finished Fresh Precure and then Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, so now I'm making my way through Yes! Precure 5. At some point I'll finish Lyrical Nanoha A's.

Manga-wise, I read Rave Master and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in my spare time. Been considering Toriko, but I haven't ever heard anything about it.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Let's see, yesterday I started Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199, which is a remake of an old 70's series. I'll probably watch the original as well since I'm a sucker for old anime.

Still follow Inazuma Eleven: Chrono Stone off and on. I tried giving the series a chance, but it went so far into left field that it doesn't even seem like the original series anymore. Either way, the last episode is next week then they're starting another FFI series. Hopefully it means the series is still salvageable.

My current guilty pleasure anime is Aikatsu! lol, it was the Precure series originally, but after 8 different seasons, it's kinda gotten stale for me.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I've recently bought the first Sailor Moon box set + Sailor V, so I'm currently reading Sailor Moon. I've also started watching the show, and I find it funny how Mercury and Mars appear like 8 episodes in. Jupiter and Venus even further in haha.

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2014
I am currently watching CardCaptor Sakura, Air Gear, and XXXholic. As for manga, I am currently reading Air Gear, Naruto, and of course the classics Death Note and Bleach ;)

MoogleCam

The one who says "Kupo".
Years
This may sound a bit generic, but the two anime (s?) I like are Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist. I like the manga of both of these, along with the Pokemon Manga.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I'm currently watching Suisei no Gargantia (I would like a watching buddy!) and Ah! My Goddess (with Yusshin).

Considering
Gantz
Epitaph
Mirrai Nikki
Bleach
Death Note
Gai-Rei and Gai-Rei: Zero
Angel Beats
Shakugan no Shana
Pandora Hearts
Tenjou Tenge
Zetsuen no Tempest
Higurashi no naku koro ni rei/kira
Umineko no naku koro ni

As for the "considering" section, are there any of those you highly recommend (why) and should I remove any of them?
I'd recommend Death Note, Pandora Hearts, and Zetsuen no Tempest.

I've watched some of Death Note, but I've heard so many good things about the series. The main character gains the power to kill anyone by writing a name in the Death Note while the other main character is placed in charge of finding the one responsible for the murders. They're brilliant and go through much development in realizing their goals.

The latter two are personal top favorites of mine. These series both include fantasy elements (Pandora's contracts with powerful monsters, the Abyss, and Alice in Wonderland themes vs. Tempest's magic/mages and the Tree of Genesis). Both have dark stories and some comical moments (Pandora more so). Both handle interactions between their characters really well and by the series-end, I'm sure you'd fall in love with some character. Some dislike the animation or de-saturated look in Pandora Hearts, but Zetsuen has much love from the Bones animation studio.

Back