• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Anime and Manga fan club

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
Years
I've been somewhat lucky with my principals, they're all cool. My current one speaks semi-fluent Japanese and wtaches some anime, so we love him.

Anyway, I'm not sure on the 16 rating, I'll check next time I'm at Suncoast.

Rose Flame

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2004
Our newest principal really liked the idea, but he's trying to be careful, this next year being his first as principal. But he was really into the idea. He even said that perhaps, if all goes well, we could have an animation class by the time I'm a senior.

~Ozy~

Years
Yeah, I can understand that. When my middle school swapped principals, we had a whole batch of rule-tightening. But it's nice that he seemed into the idea, that's pretty rare in my experience.

Years
Hmm...I'm hoping that our Anime club pubilicity officer in my school would do a great job of publicizing the anime club. Spread the goodness of FMA! XD

falling up+
Years
hmm ill have to take a looksee at that thread, we never got to have cool clubs (or weird in oni's case) like the anime club at our school. Our principle was very strict about that kinda stuff. Ive never heard of fruit baskets, has it been out for a while? An idea for showing 16+ anime in your school: you could just show certain eps, or edit past the nudity, etc. i dunno if your principle would approve of that though still. Also i saw a great anime the other day called The Super Milk Chan Show. its pretty disturbing but in a funny way. I cant think of it being rated higher than PG-13 but it does have guns and a cussing so i dunno if that stuff is forbidden too...

On another note did you really want a cd of the band im in? all we have is a demo cd we burned at the school so theres girls screaming in between songs and Chaeton randomly talking about the songs lol

Finnaly heres a website i put up a while ago about a racing group my freinds and I started for fun (and sheer boredom), its not much to look at since its all done with basic HTML but i suppose its worth a look: http://www.geocities.com/kogabuntaracing

Rose Flame

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2004
Sure, 003. It'd be great if you wanna send us a demo. If we can get approval for it, we're going to put together a mini convention at the end of the school year, and I think It'd be nice if we could have some original music to play. If you really don't mind sending it, I'll PM you the address you can send it to.

I've heard a lot about the Super Milk-Chan Show from other forums, mostly good things. They say it's kinda along the same lines as Family Guy and South Park, but I wouldn't know, since I've never seen it. I've also read about it in NewType USA. Oh, and I was wondering, has anyone heard of Gungrave and Dead Leaves?

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions on how to conduct school meetings, if anyone has any.

~Ozy~

Years
Gungrave I've heard of, it's supposed to be pretty good. Dead Leaves, no.

Anyway, about meetings:
-Don't do just anime. If you can find a way, do a caligraphy day, or Go day. Both are fun, and it's often better to do more than just anime.
-If you have a local Japanese district, visit it. Do a field trip there once or twice a year.
-Try to find some guest speakers. Anyone from VA's to exchange students. There's a lot of interesting stuff to talk about.
-Finally, have parties. I don't mean just school-sponsored ones, find someone who'd be willing to let however many people have a party at their house. There is where you can watch the stuff that your school says is forbiddern. Granted, your club is a lot larger than mine, so you might have trouble with loction, but it's a great experience.

Rose Flame

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2004
It might be a good idea to have special days where we take a break from anime and manga...

A Japanese district? :D If you only knew how very small our town is. But it is a good idea. We do occasionally get a foreign exchange student (the operative word being "a"), but they're usually from Germany. And VA's are hard to get a hold of, but it is worth the effort.

And the parties sound good in theory, but there are few people that have houses big enough to contain 50+ people, including me. Good ideas though.

~Ozy~

Years
I live near Denver, so I have no idea what small town life is like. Anyway, it wasn't all that hard for me to find a VA. A guy at the anime booth at Sakura Matsuri gave me his name. I talked to him, he came in for an afternoon. Good times were had by all.

Ah, and a bit of good news. Fruits Basket is unrated.

Rose Flame

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2004
I went to Denver near the end of April for a David Bowie concert. It's a beautiful town. Have you ever been to the tattered cover book store? It's huge! And I could have sworn I saw Bowie browsing in the NY Times Bestseller's the day of the concert, but that may have only been wishful thinking ^_^.

So Fruits Basket is unrated?Hmmm... don't know what to make of that. I suppose that I could ask our principal to take a look at it. Who knows, he may take a liking to it and approve it for screening.

~Ozy~

Years
Tattered Cover is one of my favorite places in the world. One of the few independent bookstores with both selection AND personality.

Rose Flame

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2004
I walked over there after going to, I believe it was, Tower Records. It did have quite a nice selection, but it was hard to browse through the books since the store was so crowded. Is it always really crowded? It was espescially cogested on the bottom floor where I thought I spotted Bowie; of course, that could have been the reason now that I think about it...Anyway, I could use some help thinking of ways to earn some money for the club, if anyone has any ideas.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Rose Flame said:
I went to Denver near the end of April for a David Bowie concert. It's a beautiful town. Have you ever been to the tattered cover book store? It's huge! And I could have sworn I saw Bowie browsing in the NY Times Bestseller's the day of the concert, but that may have only been wishful thinking ^_^.

So Fruits Basket is unrated?Hmmm... don't know what to make of that. I suppose that I could ask our principal to take a look at it. Who knows, he may take a liking to it and approve it for screening.

It's got nothing bad in it just a little cussing which i would rate pg-13. it's allso one of the best dubs for a anime ever.

Rose Flame

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2004
I'll take a look at it and see if it's appropriate since everyone seems to like it so much.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
It depends on what school you go to...if it's a high school there should be no problem at all with showing it...if it's a middle school maybe only the older kids could watch it...I still say you should show Grave of the FIreflys.

Rose Flame

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2004
We all go to a high school, so maybe we could show it. I've seen Grave of the Fireflies; there should be no problem with that one. Are these pictures from the fruits baskets you're all speaking of? I just want to make sure that I'm getting the right series.

~Ozy~

Years
TC isn't always crowded, just on most weekends.

Anyway, yeah, show GotF, I love it. I'd recommend Battle Royale if it wasn't horribly violent and containd large amounts of obscenities. It's excellent. Anyway, FB has small amounts of cussing, mainly from Kyo. But nothing horrible. There's a slight amount of homoeroticism, at least in the manga. A crossdresing scene as well, so if that might offend anyone...Anyway, I don't see any pics.

As for fundraising, craft stuff can be good. Make some paper cranes,they usually sell well. I can get instructions to make these really nice paper-covered eggs. I love them, and judging from the money my club raised, the general populace does as well. Otherwise I caan't think of much except a yearly due. I'd suggest tying it to food access, onigiri in particular.

Rose Flame

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2004
What's onigiri?
I was thinking of doing a bakesale, but those never seem to work out as planned. In fact, in the past, I've ended up doing most of the baking, which is no fun.>_<

I don't know if paper cranes would go over all that great since we have a few crafts classes; I mean, if they wanted paper cranes, they could just get some from their friends for free or take the class themselves. But maybe if we added something, like putting candy in the bottum, or having a contest of some sort (i.e person with the winning number on the bottum wins a prize). The paper covered eggs do sound interesting too.

~Ozy~

Years
Onigiri are rice balls, and quite delicios when properly made. Particularly with a seaweed topping and salmon center...*drools*

Back