• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
This is my first map i made ..... SO CRAPPY

View attachment 69189

Problem: Too square. Try to make things look not that neat, I mean, it's a town but still. Like make the trees more random, and the waterplace a bit more sway.

Also, either make the path two tiles thin, or three tiles thin. Don't mix them up they make it look bad.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Next to the red house, there is an empty and abrupt corner, across from the lamp post. Try and do something there, plain corners like that can lead to a lot of empty looking space in game.

If you can help it, try not to have such straight paths.

If you go on trails or walk paths in the real world, they are never just straight like those paths.

Here is a map of Pallet Town I made somewhat recently:

Spoiler:

As you can see, the path looks more rugged. It gives it am or natural feel. When the player walks along those, they also do not feel the need to follow it exactly, because they can still be on the trail.

Also, try to pick up some ruffled grass tile to help busy places in the grass where there are not flowers. It helps you from overdoing the flowers or rocks while still letting you keep things busy.

I like the neat building shadows. And the Pidove Shadows. And the path seems more realistic. But I wonder. What are those diamond indents on the cliffs? The ones with a tilted small square of grass? I dunno, they seem a bit funny. Either way, the map is great. And the way the trees overflow into the town, it seems nice.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Achievement Get: First map!

Ok, that was a lie. This isn't my first. But it IS the first one that isn't the worst thing ever! This isn't for a game, I just wanted practice on my mapping. so, critiques? Be as harsh as needed!

Spoiler:

The house on the hill is the Player's house, Red roof is main rival and Green roof is someone else's house. Either a useless NPC or a second rival.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015

Ok, that was a lie. This isn't my first. But it IS the first one that isn't the worst thing ever! This isn't for a game, I just wanted practice on my mapping. so, critiques? Be as harsh as needed!

Spoiler:

The house on the hill is the Player's house, Red roof is main rival and Green roof is someone else's house. Either a useless NPC or a second rival.

You should move the PokeCenter on the tileset so it doesn't overlay the path. There are a couple shadow issues with the tress in the upper right area. Im always goint to say this, I dont like 3rd Generation tiles, But I like the setup. I think you just need some decoration. Also bring the trees in the upper right down to behind the house. there is too much space there. :P

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Thanks! Like I said, this isn't for a game, it's just practice. Idk what's up with the shadow issues, thats a tileset error. Moving the Pokecenter is a problem, there's no real room for it anywhere... And yes, the trees are pretty high. Let me fix that.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Thanks! Like I said, this isn't for a game, it's just practice. Idk what's up with the shadow issues, thats a tileset error. Moving the Pokecenter is a problem, there's no real room for it anywhere... And yes, the trees are pretty high. Let me fix that.

Compiling a tileset specifically for things are good. It stays more organized, and would load faster. I have a tileset made for the starter town, one for the first 3 routs, and one made for the second town. Not including indoors. It may be difficult, but I like it this way so I can find the tiles I need easily.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years

Spoiler:

Make the Lab one tile less wide, so it is the original size, move the left wall of the mountains one tile to the right. Fill up the gap that is left to the left with trees, all the way to the bottom, so the border is 6 tiles wide.

Move all the houses so that the paths leading to them can all be 3 tiles wide. Don't mix path sizes.

Fill up the gap behind the Rival house with trees. Don't leave empty space behind houses. It looks terrible.

And also: Like the others said. Move the PC so it doesnt stand ON the path. Make a little outsticking part from the road, only 1x3 tiles big that leads into the PC.

Like this: (The X's are the path, and the O's the PC)

OOIOIOO
__XXX__
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX

You might want to use normal treemapping aswell. The style you are using now, where you have them aligned diagonally, is very advanced and can be very hard to get to look good. Since you say you're pretty new at mapping, I recommend using the normal style, with straight rows and lines, instead.

Last edited:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Route 1 updated, with Mom's Berry Farm

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Route 1 updated, with Mom's Berry Farm

Spoiler:

Excluding the tile errors, it's a pretty good map... Good idea with the berry farm, but on Route 01 seems weird... I dunno, could fit I suppose... What's the random bird house thing for?! ;)
Pretty straightforward, Pokémon are low level at this point (I assume), so few grassy patches, nice touch, but, probably should add some unavoidable patches, on the way to next town/area, but avoidable by jumping ledges on the way back.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Your Mom runs the berry farm for Oak, as he likes fresh natural berries and foodstuff for the pokemon on his reserve. So it's close by.

The birdhouse?
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
I updated the town based on critiques. Unfortunately, the varying path sizes are a problem if I want to keep the same map size. So, other than that, anything else?

StartingTown_zpse157e9eb.png

tImE

Years
I updated the town based on critiques. Unfortunately, the varying path sizes are a problem if I want to keep the same map size. So, other than that, anything else?

StartingTown_zpse157e9eb.png

There's no problem to make the path the right size? =S

Here, I tried remaking your map with the same size, using almost exactly same layout.
In this map, I filled out the trees behind the red house, repositioned the lab and PC to fit better and used more flowers to fill out emptiness.

And like I said, when mapping as a beginner, use the normal tree-style it works a lot better and looks better too, in most cases.

9431884testmap.png

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Wow time, you made that seem effortless... Although a cave in the first town would be pretty cool joey.

Rough Viridian City
Spoiler:

tImE

Years
Just try to study what I did differently from you, and try to apply it in the next map you make.

Try to really work with the layers. Place the roads beneath the roofs of buildings, and you can fit them a lot better.

It's all about depth.
Try to make the game look 3d without it actually being 3d. Place trees beneath the roof of the house so it looks like it's really close to the building, instead of just placing the tree behind the roof.
It can make a LOT of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back