• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon: Phoenix Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
Hello, I am new to this site. Honestly I have been looking through this form
for few hours. :) It is a gorgeous game. and the story is Great(Not like a
hacks,)it feels original(Guess it is since it hasn't been done before)
Characters Are Awesome, Lots of variety of Pokemon from other region's,
Great Sprite's and Graphics,
And sweet never been done BEFORE Features. But there is one thing I noticed,
there has been controversy(hope I spelled that right) on the POKEMON
starters for this game. Some have mentioned to have normal Pokemon that
evolve when leveling up, others Just don't like the starters cause of the
feel/look, and some feel that evolving by stone is to restricted. So I have been
thinking for awhile now about what are the perfect Pokemon starter's, And I
think I have found what is the most perfect [starter] for this game.

-Eevee-

I think Eevee is absolutely the most perfect Pokemon starter. Here are my reason's why......

1. From what I know Eevee has NEVER been used as a starter.
2. It Has 7 different Evolution's(Huge variety).
3. 4 of them use Stone's to Evolve.
.Vaporeon-Water Stone.
.Jolteon-Thunder Stone.
.Flareon-Fire Stone.
.Leafeon-Leaf stone(I think Leafeon evolves at moss rock, But it can be changed to leaf stone)

4. 4 of them evolve from stone's. You said that it was important to have the starters evolve from a stone.
5. It give's the players a variety of choice's as to whether evolve by stone or stats.
6. 7 different types to choose from. Water, Electric, Fire, Grass, Psychic, Dark, Ice.
7. Eevee is a cute Pokemon, That has Feel and Look's nice.
8. Goes along with the theme of the story(The stone part)

"The great stones of old, nine believed to be stones of evolutionary power;
Fire, Water, Grass,Thunder, Sun, Bright, Dusk, Dawn and Moon. One,
known to be much more rare. With a single purpose; to raise a Pokemon
from the very ashes it crumbled into, known as the Stone of Rebirth. These
stones are to be of unlimited value in Hawthorne, but are seldom held by
ordinary people."

9. Eevee is the ONLY Pokemon that evolves from 4 different type's of stones.

Once Again I think Eevee is the best choice for the starter of this game. It
makes sense with the stones and all.

Here are some Pictures.

images

images

images

images

GREAT GAME NEVER GIVE UP!!!:classic:

Well, I see you're new here and this is your first post, so Welcome to the PokeCommunity!

We know who Eevee is, don't worry. The possible problems include that Eevee has been a starter in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness (search it up if you'd like- GameCube game). Another is that Eevee is also a popular starter in most fan games. I also think that Eevee would make an awesome starter, but Phoenix Rising is different- you said yourself that it's something that seems like it has never been done before (which is true, if you've been reading lately you would notice that the creator has opted to put it on the DS, which has also been a source of controversy). It's most likely the fact that Abnegation (creator) wants it to stand out, which I don't see the problem with that.

In the end, although your idea is good, and most of your reasons work, Phoenix Rising seems like it's trying to be different, and many games tend to go with the starter you chose.

BlorkGlork

Better Starter. Better Game.
Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2012
Well, I see you're new here and this is your first post, so Welcome to the PokeCommunity!

We know who Eevee is, don't worry. The possible problems include that Eevee has been a starter in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness (search it up if you'd like- GameCube game). Another is that Eevee is also a popular starter in most fan games. I also think that Eevee would make an awesome starter, but Phoenix Rising is different- you said yourself that it's something that seems like it has never been done before (which is true, if you've been reading lately you would notice that the creator has opted to put it on the DS, which has also been a source of controversy). It's most likely the fact that Abnegation (creator) wants it to stand out, which I don't see the problem with that.

In the end, although your idea is good, and most of your reasons work, Phoenix Rising seems like it's trying to be different, and many games tend to go with the starter you chose.

But see it honestly does make the most sense to have Eevee as the starter. There are so many options that go with it. Choosing witch Pokemon to evolve into(7 Different Options). 7 different types. Its a sweet looking Pokemon. the fact that it can use 4 different stones to evolve. It the Perfect Pokemon starter. When I look at the other Pokemon I always think it only evolve's one time. But with Eevee you have so many choices it doesn't feel limited. I look at the starters and see them as the Pokemon that no one wanted to catch because it only has one evolution(except for Growlithe he is kinda good) . But again with Eevee you have so many choice's on where its evolution can go.

Also you said Abnegation said he want's his game to stand out. I Think his game will stand out because it is a amazing game(By no mean's am I saying that your game is bad, On the contrary I think it is a Amazing Game), Example.... If(not that you would ever do this though)Abnegation made the main guy start up with them rocket, it would be Different/Stand out but probably not much people would like it. Again I just what to clarify that I do think your game is going to be a Great if not the Best game out there. But the fact is that it does make sense to have Eevee as the starter. If a book had a plot about a Ship's captain that loved to climb mountain's with his pet Hamster, so he could get a frog. it wouldn't line up very well, again just a example. That's my point. In all honesty it does make sense.

Overall great game :)

Years
  • Seen May 13, 2014
This honestly looks... AMAZING!! I have been trying to watch this on and off for the past while :P Keep up the great work! I also hope you make this into a rom It would be fun to play on my DS :P

BlorkGlork

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2012
hope that ya will make rom a version of this ( if possible ) hehe
I really want to play this in my android using an emu :J
It is going to be for the DS if everything works out :)
This honestly looks... AMAZING!! I have been trying to watch this on and off for the past while Keep up the great work! I also hope you make this into a rom It would be fun to play on my DS
He will be making a rom for the DS. :)

GREAT GAME KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :)

Eevee as starter would make sense.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Eevee isn't going to be a starter. It would make the beginning of the game extremely limited due to a very boring moveset. Not to mention that not everyone likes that line. It's quite underpowered. It also doesn't make sense because Eevee can evolve into 4 non-stone related evolutions. So if a player evolves it into Umbreon it sort of disregards my while effort to link stones with the starter Pokemon.

Also, I'd like if everyone cut out the DS discussion for now. I'm still developing this on RMXP at the moment, the DS version is going to be a bit further down the line. I'll be developing this for the PC still. So anyone who's saying "oh this is dumb you're changing platforms" and so on, has failed to A) read any of my posts and B) the title of the thread which has the prefix: [RMXP]. As I say, a DS version is going to be an addition further down the line, if all goes well. Still developing this for the PC.

I would also like to mention that I have began work on PR again properly. For a long time I have been delaying coming back to it due to a number of reasons. I have been studying Pokemon game mechanics again for a few months, and decided to revise some things. The main thing is that I have added to the region and made it less linear, maps will have more directions to go in and all in all will be more interesting to explore. The region map simply got updated, not changed. You can take a look at the updated map in the first post.

I've gone and revised some of the graphical style also, as seen in the last screenshot. I'm aware this is bad for progress, but the fact I wasn't happy with some of the tiles was demotivating me to work on the game in general. Overall I've been updating things, not changing them. Purely for a better and more accurate gaming experience. So while it has been back to the storyboard for a while, I'm officially making progress again.

Hopefully I'll make an official update soon with some screenshots from new areas. I'm not going to be changing the graphical style again. So that's a big part out of the way. Scripting is still at about 90%. Just some systems to be done and issues with bugs. There's a bit more mapping to be done due to region changes but I'm excited to see how the region will look with a bit more variety.

Hope this explains where I'm at now. And if I see any more talk of the platform arguments I'll just delete the posts. This is currently being developed on RMXP and will continue to be unless stated. There is a likely chance there will also be a version for DS, but that is not my focus. It's simply a feature in the works. Albeit, an ambitious feature, but very much possible and has made decent progress.

Atomic Reactor

Eevee isn't going to be a starter. It would make the beginning of the game extremely limited due to a very boring moveset. Not to mention that not everyone likes that line. It's quite underpowered. It also doesn't make sense because Eevee can evolve into 4 non-stone related evolutions. So if a player evolves it into Umbreon it sort of disregards my while effort to link stones with the starter Pokemon.

You could easily change all of the things you mentioned here lol. I'm not saying you should have eevee, but these really aren't problems lol.

Glad to see you're back on track though!

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
Looks great. However, not complete yet. I wish there was a folder/sub-forum for completed games here in Game Development.

BlorkGlork

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2012
I do have a solution that i was going to metion.... Umbreon/Espeon evolve [Later] do to Stats/Freindship......Solution.
You know how one of the professor's give you a choice of three Pokemon, Instead of that have it be 4 stone's, here is some of the ways that can happen.

1. When Eevee levels up to level 16. The professor/scientist/Who ever you chose, Give's them a choice of either The Fire Stone, Water Stone, Thunder Stone, Leaf Stone. Then they can choose to either use the stone or evolve it the other way.

2. In the beginning when you get eevee you also get to choose which stone you want. But every time you try to use it it says....."Professor Signomi words echoed, This is not the time to use this" . When you get to level sixteen you can use it.

3. When you get to a certain town(don't know all the towns names) Professor Signomi/Scientist/whoever you want, will give you the choice of which stone you can have. But it would be before you could even evolve into the other choice's.

Also eevee is not under powered unless you are saying that it is under powered when it is at level 5. No joke intended, seriously.

Please consider :)

fireyboy345

Skilled Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
I do have a solution that i was going to metion.... Umbreon/Espeon evolve [Later] do to Stats/Freindship......Solution.
You know how one of the professor's give you a choice of three Pokemon, Instead of that have it be 4 stone's, here is some of the ways that can happen.

1. When Eevee levels up to level 16. The professor/scientist/Who ever you chose, Give's them a choice of either The Fire Stone, Water Stone, Thunder Stone, Leaf Stone. Then they can choose to either use the stone or evolve it the other way.

2. In the beginning when you get eevee you also get to choose which stone you want. But every time you try to use it it says....."Professor Signomi words echoed, This is not the time to use this" . When you get to level sixteen you can use it.

3. When you get to a certain town(don't know all the towns names) Professor Signomi/Scientist/whoever you want, will give you the choice of which stone you can have. But it would be before you could even evolve into the other choice's.

Also eevee is not under powered unless you are saying that it is under powered when it is at level 5. No joke intended, seriously.

Please consider :)

Dude, you seriously need to cut it out with all this Eevee talk.
Abnegation had taken your suggestion into consideration before and made the decision not to go down that road. I realize that you thoroughly enjoy Eevee, but like he said it just wouldn't work for his game. Sorry, I just find it a tad rude that you keep on pushing this idea on him.

On a different note,
Abnegation you game looks great. I have seen many games being developed here in the past and I really like the look and story of yours. I don't normally log on and comment, but I really think this looks great!

BlorkGlork

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2012
Dude, you seriously need to cut it out with all this Eevee talk.
Abnegation had taken your suggestion into consideration before and made the decision not to go down that road. I realize that you thoroughly enjoy Eevee, but like he said it just wouldn't work for his game. Sorry, I just find it a tad rude that you keep on pushing this idea on him.

On a different note,
Abnegation you game looks great. I have seen many games being developed here in the past and I really like the look and story of yours. I don't normally log on and comment, but I really think this looks great!

Um fireyboy345, I think you are way to easily offended. First of all I was by no mean's forcing this Idea on him. It is HIS game, so how can i force it on him.

Secondly, It was just a SUGGESTION. The reason i replied to this....
eevee isn't going to be a starter. It would make the beginning of the game extremely limited due to a very boring moveset. Not to mention that not everyone likes that line. It's quite underpowered. It also doesn't make sense because Eevee can evolve into 4 non-stone related evolutions. So if a player evolves it into Umbreon it sort of disregards my while effort to link stones with the starter Pokemon.
...Is because he said it wouldn't work. So I pointed out how it could work. Just POINTED it out.

Thirdly, This is not your game though you may support it, it is still not your game. So there is no reason you should get bent out of shape. I do not think at all Abnegation would be offended, It was just a suggestion, And some point's THAT'S ALL. Please before you say something think it through.

Abnegation by no mean's was i trying to offend you or be rude. Sorry if did.

I really do like your project.

Also(Sorry for being so long winded)curios what is the progress for the DS version?Thanks :)

Pokemon: Phoenix Rising all the way :)

Years

Also, I'd like if everyone cut out the DS discussion for now. I'm still developing this on RMXP at the moment, the DS version is going to be a bit further down the line. I'll be developing this for the PC still. So anyone who's saying "oh this is dumb you're changing platforms" and so on, has failed to A) read any of my posts and B) the title of the thread which has the prefix: [RMXP]. As I say, a DS version is going to be an addition further down the line, if all goes well. Still developing this for the PC.

I would also like to mention that I have began work on PR again properly. For a long time I have been delaying coming back to it due to a number of reasons. I have been studying Pokemon game mechanics again for a few months, and decided to revise some things. The main thing is that I have added to the region and made it less linear, maps will have more directions to go in and all in all will be more interesting to explore. The region map simply got updated, not changed. You can take a look at the updated map in the first post.

I've gone and revised some of the graphical style also, as seen in the last screenshot. I'm aware this is bad for progress, but the fact I wasn't happy with some of the tiles was demotivating me to work on the game in general. Overall I've been updating things, not changing them. Purely for a better and more accurate gaming experience. So while it has been back to the storyboard for a while, I'm officially making progress again.

Hopefully I'll make an official update soon with some screenshots from new areas. I'm not going to be changing the graphical style again. So that's a big part out of the way. Scripting is still at about 90%. Just some systems to be done and issues with bugs. There's a bit more mapping to be done due to region changes but I'm excited to see how the region will look with a bit more variety.

Hope this explains where I'm at now. And if I see any more talk of the platform arguments I'll just delete the posts. This is currently being developed on RMXP and will continue to be unless stated. There is a likely chance there will also be a version for DS, but that is not my focus. It's simply a feature in the works. Albeit, an ambitious feature, but very much possible and has made decent progress.

That's GREAT news! I really like this game, and it's great to know it's progressing. Congratulations for patience and effort you've put into this game! Keep it up!

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2013
I really can't wait for this game. It looks like it will be the best Pokemon game I will ever play.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I appreciate the suggestions and kind comments, all of you. But I'm not changing the starters. That discussion has been over for a long time. There's no upside to changing, and I personally don't even like Eevee or it's line. So even if it did make send to change, I wouldn't really be happy with it.

As I say, thanks but the original trio shall remain and that will not be changed.

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
I don't like your starters. All of them evolve through stones and have only stage 1 evolutions. I'm not a fan of pokemon who only evolve once.

However, this is your game and you can't make everyone happy. Good thing you're sticking with your decision. If you changed them, then there would be other people saying they don't like them.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I don't like your starters. All of them evolve through stones and have only stage 1 evolutions. I'm not a fan of pokemon who only evolve once.

However, this is your game and you can't make everyone happy. Good thing you're sticking with your decision. If you changed them, then there would be other people saying they don't like them.

If you read the storyline you'd notice that evolutionary stones are a key part of the game. Hence why the starters evolve from them. Besides, it's not like there's not going to be over 200 Pokemon to choose from in the game. This is probably the best and most popular triangle with Pokemon who evolve from stones. If not, one of the only.

Also yeah, glad that you agree that it's best not to change them. At this point in the development, changing perfectly suitable starters is pointless and counter-productive.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Why not
511.gif
513.gif
515.gif

All of them have 2 stages, evolve using stones, and actually could look like a starting trio. I'm not a fan of gen 5 Pokemon, but I saw that you were using gen 5 Pokemon. So these seem like a reasonable trio. I'm not suggesting changing the starters, I just saw everybody talking about them, so I butted in.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I could but again, it's kind of a personal preference also. I think that they would be a limited choice. So of you were choosing your Pokemon the only option would be; "Here is your choice of Pokemon. They're all elemental monkeys with little difference between them. Enjoy!"

I admit it would be more organised, but it would tarnish the area of variety. I also have a lot of things created for the current starters in the way of features, storylines and events, so I'm certainly not keen on changing them, I'd rather that just be clear now before this turns into a debate.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
I like your starters, my only complaint would be the two 1st gen and the one 3rd gen(i think it is), I think they dont fit together, IMO why not another 1st gen.. this is just my suggestion, GROWLITH FTW :).....

Anyways I'm really looking forward to seeing this game reach completion..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back