• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it getting old?

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Okay, so everyone knows how you have a choice of a grass, fire and water starters, but in (and if) the next generation of Pokemon do you think the starters should be different types?

Years
Err I'm not sure, when Diamond and Pearl were 1st announced I heard rumours that the starters were Dark, Psychic and fighting types, and I always seemed to like the Idea of that ever since.

Azonic

hello friends
Years
I don't think it is getting old at all. There's only four generations of it. I seem to think of the Fire, Grass, and Water starters as more of a tradition and original ideas for Pokemon. I'd like to see it keep on going in the line of Pokemon. There was a rumor that the starters in DP were going to be Psychic, Dark, and Fighting. It was obviousy proven wrong when the game came out.

Years
They should give you a choice of Bug, Flying, and ???.

And if you took that seriously you need to think again.

Why should I think again? As far as I can see the only limit to the 3 starters is that it's like rock paper scissors. One type has an advantage over the other but is weak against the next. Eg. Dark, Fighting, Psychic. because if it didn't work like that one starter would end up having an unfair advantage.

But still why bother, Fire, Grass, and Water work for me as I expect they do most people.

Years
No, they're just fine. Not only is it a tradition to have Fire/Grass/Water starters, it's also common sense. You get a lot of type coverage from each one, which helps you out a lot when you're first starting the game.

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
Years
Yes, I agree with IgnorantUser.

Also, who says the next game will even lets us choose between 3 Pokemon. Maybe they'll force one upon us (like an Eevee) and we'll get to choose between the Fire Stone, Water Stone and Thunder Stone to let us pick the type. Though this wouldn't be a very good idea, seeing as Jolteon (thunder) wouldn't have a weakness against the other two.

Years
I'm not sure. They did that already in XD Gale of Darkness. I kinda liked the catch that you didn't get the stone to evolve them right away, after about a 1/4 of the game I think it was. But who knows they may do that. It's sure would be different, and probably better as XD and Pokemon colleseum were kinda limited as to what you could do and so on

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
Years
  • Age 33
  • WI
  • Seen Feb 14, 2013
Yes, I think its getting old I was hoping for the 4th generation to have diff type of starters, but that was a rumor and fake, so now the next gen. I hope they have a dark, psychic, and fighting types as starters. ;)

Years
Nah they should keep it the same because there the best 3 elements in the game and it good with those elements because fire good against grass grass good against water and water good against fire so i recken there are just some things they should not change that is one of them

Apathetic_Yen

very original
Years
dark fighting and psychic don't work people. Why? becuz

dark is not very effective against fighting
fighting is not very effective against psychic
psychic doesn't effect dark

rock/fighting/flying work
fire/rock/steel
grass/poison/ground

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
I think it works perfectly fine with how it's going. The reason they leave it that was is because these types are SE on each other, and they represent basic elements in nature, thus making them the likely choices.

Back