• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Wonderlocke Challenge

Years
And here we have the other well-known variation of the Nuzlocke Challenge, in the form of the Wonderlocke. This variant takes on Generation VI's famous Wonder Trade feature and takes your trades for something that could come from anybody else in the world.

new-way-to-play-wonderlocke.png

Rules:
Spoiler:

Other Optional Rules:
Spoiler:

When is my challenge complete?
X and Y - Defeat the Elite Four and Diantha at the Pokémon League. (And AZ, but you probably won't have any trouble with him anyway.)
Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire - Defeat the Elite Four and Steven at the Pokémon League. OPTIONAL: Complete the Delta Episode. HOWEVER, since Rayquaza is forced onto your team before the final battle with Zinnia and then Deoxys, it is your decision as to how you want to handle that.

Here is the application form:
Name: Your username.
Game: The game you will be doing the challenge on.
Wedlocke?: Yes or No, as to whether you plan to incorporate Wedlocke rules or not.
Any optional rules?: See the spoiler above.

Here's mine:
Name: Pendraflare
Game: Alpha Sapphire
Wedlocke?: No (This is the first i'll actually attempt, so it's basically a warm-up before I inevitably go the extra mile.)
Any optional rules: Set battle style, three healing items per battle, clause to allow to bypass certain early game stuff if I get them. Also while not placing an explicit level limit, I will not be intentionally leveling past the Gym Leaders' highest levels (or 55 before the league).

Challengers:
Spoiler:

Wedlocke Challengers:
Spoiler:

Champions:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Finally time to get a jump on this, I had stuff to take care of before.

Alpha Sapphire Wonderlocke, Update #1

Spoiler:

And here's my team:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
So this is pretty much a Nuzlocke, just the only difference is the Wonder Trading?

Name: Volga
Game: Alpha Sapphire
Wedlocke?: No
Any optional rules?: Dupes Clause

This is my first Wonderlocke, so I'll make it easy.

Years
That's right, this is basically a Nuzlocke with Wonder Trade. You may have heard of it before, but nice to have another visitor. Anyway, time for my next round.

Alpha Sapphire Wonderlocke - Update #2

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

RIP:
Spoiler:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
For once, I'm not doing a solo run. I must be hacking :P

Name: KoboraX
Game: Omega Ruby
Any optional rules?: Other than completing the Delta Episode, none. I will be Wonder Trading the Rayquaza and Deoxys afterward, though.

EDIT: In the meantime, I'm just gonna go and throw on this nice and clean first update.

Spoiler:

Team Ruby

447.gif

Riolu (Riolu) Lv. 11 @ Nothing
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Steadfast
Moves: Feint, Quick Attack, Endure, Counter

041.gif

Zubat (Zubat) Lv. 11 @ Nothing
Nature: Modest
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves: Leech Life, Supersonic, Astonish, Bite

066.gif

Machollo (Machop) Lv. 18 @ Quick Claw
Nature: Bashful
Ability: Guts
Moves: Karate Chop, Foresight, Low Sweep, Seismic Toss

074.gif

Geodude (Geodude) Lv. 15 @ Nothing
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Sturdy
Moves: Mud Sport, Rock Polish, Rollout, Magnitude

276.gif

Taillow (Taillow) Lv. 11 @ Nothing
Nature: Timid
Moves: Peck, Growl, Focus Energy, Quick Attack

273.gif

Seedot (Seedot) Lv. 11 @ Nothing
Nature: Hardy
Ability: Chlorophyll (more like Borophyll :P)
Moves: Bide, Harden, Growth

Last edited:
Years
And now we get in my next part.

Alpha Sapphire Wonderlocke - Update #3

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

RIP:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Now, before this update, I'm just gonna note I did snag a couple of encounters and already Wonder Traded them. One was another Zigzagoon that I got a Lv. 1 Togepi for, and the other was the typical Rusturf Tunnel Whismur, which I got a Lv. 1 Tyrunt with all the fang moves on it from trading off Whismur. Seedot's been temporarily swapped out because he has no moves and I want to use the Tyrunt :P

Anyway, time for Omega Ruby Wonderlocke Update #2: The Short Edition because Brawly

• After getting my encounters and wrecking all the trainers on the route, I went ahead and did a bit of grinding to get everyone else slightly caught up to Machollo and Geodude, seeing as they're the aces of the team. Especially Machollo. He puts in work.
  • At Lv. 15, Riolu finally got a Fighting type move that isn't Counter. That's GG right there. He just has to evolve and not die.
  • Went and returned the Devon Parts like a good person
  • Got a crappy BuzzNav as my reward, and now I have to deliver a letter. Fun.
  • Oh, and Brendan loves to stalk me.
  • Anyway, stalking aside, I bodied a couple of trainers on my way back to Mr. Briney to get Tyrunt caught up a bit. He's still not caught up, but at least he won't get destroyed as badly now.
  • Set sail for Dewford!
  • After picking up the Old Rod and Silk Scarf, it's time for some encounters. For Dewford Town, I fished up a Magikarp. I named it Fish Stache :P
  • After about 6 tries, I fished up another Magikarp on Route 107. This one was named Old Rod.
  • Route 106 only took 2 tries, and naturally, I got another Magikarp...but Zubat killed this one with a crit Bite. Welp, I finally missed an encounter. Oh well. It's still Wonder Trade time...and yes, I'm making that a thing in these updates.
  • First up is Fish Stache, and from him I got...a Fletchling. Wasn't a person on X/Y either. It has Gale Wings, but because my luck sucks, it's Modest. Probably keeping it in the box unless Taillow dies, seeing as both of them have bad natures.
  • Let's see what luck I get with Old Rod. Got an X/Y person this time, and I got...an Ursaring. Power is here. Sucks that it's probably way too overleveled for me to use without it ignoring me. It's Lv. 52, so it's probably gonna see no use unless I need an HM slave.
  • Now with today's Wonder Trades out of the way, let's hit up the gym. Since I have two Flying types, this should be no challenge at all. Endure Metitite is a bit annoying, though. Second guy has a Machollo, but Zubat hardcore walls it and destroys it.
  • Triple Detect is such an insult to my team, especially when two of them fail.
  • Brawly time. He's got a Machop and Makuhita. This should be no problem. His Machop runs the same basic set as the others except it has Bulk Up, but even at +1 Defense, Wing Attack from Zubat was still a 2HKO. Some nice and clean Supersonic action on the Makuhita turn 1 really helped since it hit itself and allowed me to kill it with a single Wing Attack, netting me the Knuckle Badge. Nice and Lv. 30 listening limit. Now I can use Machollo without worry.
Let us note that Geodude and Machollo were not used once in the making of this update.

Team Ruby

447.gif

Riolu (Riolu) Lv. 15 @ Nothing
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Steadfast
Moves: Feint, Quick Attack, Rock Tomb, Force Palm

041.gif

Zubat (Zubat) Lv. 16 @ Nothing
Nature: Modest
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves: Leech Life, Supersonic, Wing Attack, Bite

066.gif

Machollo (Machop) Lv. 19 @ Quick Claw
Nature: Bashful
Moves: Karate Chop, Revenge, Low Sweep, Seismic Toss

074.gif

Geodude (Geodude) Lv. 16 @ Nothing
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Sturdy
Moves: Rock Throw, Rock Polish, Rollout, Magnitude

276.gif

Taillow (Taillow) Lv. 15 @ Nothing
Nature: Timid
Moves: Wing Attack, Growl, Focus Energy, Quick Attack

696.gif

Tyrunt (Tyrunt) Lv. 13 @ Nothing
Nature: Brave
Ability: Strong Jaw
Moves: Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Fire Fang, Stomp

Years
Alpha Sapphire Wonderlocke - Update #4

Long post, but nevertheless, here goes.

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

RIP:
Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The biggest non-fan of Lockes...signing up for a Locke?! That is happening. I need something to freshen up XY for me and I have been on a dry spell with Pokemon lately. I want to play Pokemon, but I just haven't felt compelled to and hopefully this will help. My boyfriend has already done more challenges than me!! That's not okay!

Name: Alli
Game: Y
Wedlocke: No
Optional Rules: Soul Bond

Moving some stuff from my Y to Bank currently and then I'll be starting my journey. I'll edit to update soon.

Edit: Having a rough start. I keep getting things past my level. Finally settled for a lv. 12 Poochyena and a lv. 5 Shroomish, both German. I traded Froakie and Pidgey. I got quite a few I had to cycle out like Trapinch, Gible, Audino, and Lombre. They were all just way over what I needed. I even think keeping this level 12 Poochyena is a biiiit of a stretch, but it'll do, plus the Shroomish needs someone that can help it survive. lol Also, the one time I get a female starter and I have to Wonder Trade it away. :'( Hope you're somewhere nice, Wander.

Last edited:
Years
Very interesting! I'd better see to it that you finish this :P

Anyway, think i'll finally post the last part of mine.

Alpha Sapphire Wonderlocke - Update #5 - Final Update

Spoiler:

The final team:
Spoiler:

RIP:
Spoiler:

Final playing time: 22:53 after defeating the Champion - That was a little less than I had when I defeated the Champion in Omega Ruby first time, which is slightly surprising. And I had 24:42 after the Delta Episode, too.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'll make a prettier update when I'm on my own laptop. This one is so slow, it'd take half an hour to get all the images I'd like to have.

Player: Alli
Badges: 1

269.png

lv. 15
[ Confusion, Infestation, Gust, Harden ]

261.png

lv. 14
[ Thunder Fang, Howl, Sand-Attack, Bite ]

285.png

lv. 14
[ Leech Seed, Wake-Up Slap, Tackle, Stun Spore ]

In PC: Zangoose, Magmortar

RIP: None

SO FUN STORY. Not even one badge in, I managed to get a lv. 100 shiny Magmortar off Wonder Trade. I shit you not. I'm not gonna use it obviously, but I sure as hell ain't wonder trading that away either. lol Clearly, this is the best challenge ever. Already got rewarded. ;) Anyway, I soloed the gym with Dustox, but considering it's, you know, a Dustox, I'm probably going to just box him soon and replace him with Zangoose or something else I manager to get off Wonder Trade. He did his job though, and I appreciate him for that, but he must go.

Question: I can keep gifts right? Just wondering. Cause Charmander...is cute and...you know. Kinda wanna use him. But if not, that's fine. He might come to me through WT. He's popular.

Years
Yeah, I saw on Twitter about that shiny Magmortar you got. :P Anyway, this is one of those interesting situations that I didn't bring up. Well, when Marriland did his WonderWedlocke back last year, he had the Legendary Jackpot clause, where if he got a legendary he had to Wonder Trade it away immediately but could get a bonus catch then trade for any area he had previously got something in. You could kinda impose that rule for very high level shiny Pokémon, too, as in you could catch something else on the route that you got the Magmortar for your trade from. I'm gonna add that to the OP right now.

Also, in the rules I mentioned (I C/P'd these rules from Marriland's New Way to Play article on his site), there's the Soul Bond clause, which allows you to keep gift Pokémon for yourself. So yeah, the Kanto starter you get, all yours if that's what you want.

Years
Hey, this looks interesting! Here's my sign up:

Name: Thursday
Wedlocke?: Sure!
Any optional rules?: Dupe Clause, Legendary Jackpot Clause.

I was originally going to have the 10+/- level rule but I decided to remove it so I can make the game more difficult. I'm also going to have the fighting as shift since I'm pretty sure I'll lose the fight within the first 2-3 badges.

I don't know if this is a rule for wonderwedlocke but I'm going to keep wonder trading my Pokemon away until I get a Pokemon of the appropriate gender. Ex. I have 2 Males/1 Female. I wonder trade another male so I'll wonder trade it back until I get a female.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Name: Abnegation
Game: Pokémon Y
Wedlocke?: Sticking with the old fashioned for now
Any optional rules?: Legendary Jackpot Clause

Okay I started this already actually. My WT's were going a bit weird for me, kept getting level ones after I beat the first gym so I traded them away (sticking with the option to trade away Pokémon if they're 10 levels away from yours). However on my third Pokémon I got a level 70 shiny Lugia. So I stuck it in my box, caught another Pokémon on the route and traded away instead, is that permitted? As it stands though my progress is as follows:

Player: Gav
Game: Pokémon Y
In PC: Lugia
RIP: None

50px-Bug_Badge.png

eevee.gif

Eevee
Lv 10
[ Baby-Doll Eyes, Refresh, Swift, Charm ]

chinchou.gif

Lighttheway
Lv 9
[ Bubble, Supersonic, Thunder Wave, Flail ]

fennekin.gif

Fennekin
Lv 13
[ Scratch, Ember, Howl, Tail Whip ]

swablu.gif

Swablu
Lv 8
[ Peck, Roost, Astonish, Sing ]

aron.gif

Aron
Lv 13
[ Harden, Mud-Slap, Headbutt, Metal Claw ]

Interestingly I chose Fennekin in the beginning, only to get one back a few routes later. Pretty happy about Chinchou, mostly. I do love Lanturn. Excited to have Swablu too, and as of yet, still trying to decide what to do with Eevee if I keep it! Hopefully I've done this right, first proper attempt at a challenge!

Last edited:
Years
Oooooh, we have an admin here! Interesting.

Anyway, if you're not implementing Legendary Jackpot Clause (see the OP for that), you could keep the legendary and get an extra catch for it. If I were doing it I wouldn't keep it unless it was shiny, but really it's your call as to what you want to do with any legendaries or shiny Pokémon you may get.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Oooooh, we have an admin here! Interesting.

Anyway, if you're not implementing Legendary Jackpot Clause (see the OP for that), you could keep the legendary and get an extra catch for it. If I were doing it I wouldn't keep it unless it was shiny, but really it's your call as to what you want to do with any legendaries or shiny Pokémon you may get.
Yeah I decided to just keep it since it's shiny and caught/traded something new. I'm gonna use the Legendary Jackpot Clause for anything non-shiny so I'll edit that into my initial post.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You can thank me for getting Gav to play. ;)

VSFurisode_Girl_3.png

Alli | Pokemon Y
50px-Bug_Badge.png
50px-Cliff_Badge.png

696.png

Graham lv. 25
[ Protect, Stealth Rock, Bite, Rock Tomb ]

005.png

Cinnamon lv. 25
[ Shadow Claw, Dragon Rage, Ember, Return ]

262.png

Licorice lv. 27
[ Thunder Fang, Return, Bite, Sand-Attack ]

264.png

Popcorn lv. 28
[ Return, Shadow Claw, Sand-Attack, Strength ]

028.png

Crumbs lv. 28 @ Rocky Helmet
[ Rollout, Crush Claw, Shadow Claw, Magnitude ]

286.png

Portabella lv. 29
[ Force Palm, Leech Seed, Mega Drain, Mach Punch ]

So I decided to nickname my Pokemon since they don't have an in-game one. I really wish GameFreak would let us nickname traded Pokemon, but I digress. I made the long journey to Cyllage Town so that I could finally make this update. I didn't manage to get anything too impressive off Wonder Trade, or so I thought. Sandshrew was a massive help and has earned a spot on the team for the time being. Linoone is a personal favorite so I think I'm one of the few people to ever be excited about getting a Zigzagoon off of Wonder Trade. I think that's all in terms of new WT Pokemon. Charmeleon and Tyrunt were obviously gifts and the only ones with real nicknames. Anyway, I had no trouble making my way to Cyllage and defeating the gym leader. I did make a pretty cool friend on the way there, though.

425.png

Schpangly lv. 13
[ Minimize, Astonish, Gust, Focus Energy ]

Yeah. That happened. lol It's always when I least expect it, too. I meant to ask you, Pendraflame, about shinies but I thought "eh, it's not like I'll find one so I won't bother" and LOW AND BEHOLD A SPARKLE IN THE WILD. A shiny I don't have, at that. lol He gets to sit alongside the shiny Magmortar that I cannot use. :P Anyway, I'm off to the next destination.

Boxed:
269.png
335.png
449.png
280.png
276.png
661.png
425.png
467.png

RIP:
None

Years
Ah, that too... I guess you can use shiny Pokémon on your team if that's what you want to do. But if they were your first encounter, you could get another encounter on the route you caught it on. If they weren't, then that doesn't apply; you can still use it if you so desire. Guess this is my fault for not making the OP clear...

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's fine, haha. Sometimes you just have to take things as you go. :) I probably won't use the Drifloon though. I don't really want to evolve him and for a Locke challenge, that would be the better option and I'm not really willing to let him become a blimp. Balloon he stays. <3

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
Might as well do this. Pretty burnt out on Hoenn, didn't even finish my original ORAS run. Think this will spruce things up.

Name: stp
Game: Omega Ruby
Any optional rules?: Dupes Clause, Legendary Jackpot Clause

Back