• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Deus Ex Machina [not Pokemon-related]

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Being programmed in Unity Pro.
Anybody wonder what happened to Java's Missingno.? Probably not, but still, here I am.

Being lost in the depths of space - a nightmare to travelers. You have no clue how far you are from home and, statistically speaking, you're far from likely to ever find home. You are aboard a sizable vessel, but your crew has mostly perished at the hands(?) of the Raamad, ruthless territorial aliens. The reason they are targeting you? You have unearthed and sent back to your superiors the Raamad plans to invade the Sol system, humanity's only home in the cosmos. Despite being well-armed, you know that the most you can do is put a dent in their armies before your untimely demise. Your remaining crew is fiercely loyal and won't go down without a fight. Go bravely, and protect humanity for as long as you possibly can! (Honestly, you could get away with never hearing this story; this is an arcade-style game that' you're meant to just pick up and play.)

Everything in this project has been made by myself, Christopher K., including models and scripts. The game is currently in Beta 1.2, and is playable here. Be aware that to run this game you will need to install the Unity Web Player(It's linked to in place of the game if it isn't already installed on your computer)

Screenshot time!
Spoiler:

If you have any comments or suggestions for weapons or enemies, please feel free to add them.

List of planned changes for Beta 1.3:
-New variants of Raamad ships(Dodger, Charger, and Fortress)
-Need to fix the health bar(when it reaches below a certain point, the border changes)
-May start adding sound effects
-Shield still doesn't block projectiles..

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
It can't be very motivating to see your game go a week without a single post; especially a game that's obviously different from most of the games here.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised RadiantSunrise got more responses when it has almost no progress relative to this project.

I really like what I'm seeing here, though. It brings back memories of a couple of arcade games I've played, I really noticed that when playing it.

Thanks! Arcade gaming is something I really loved as a little kid, and wanted to give this game the same feeling of just playing, no guides, no tedious story inserts. I absolutely hate the idea of making a tutorial and holding a player's hand through the beginning of the game.

The first thing I noticed is how many keys there are to use... I really think you should try to minimize that; generally players don't like having to memorize that many keys. Maybe you could implement something to allow you to change what kind of attack you're going to use?

I don't expect players to memorize keys at all. In fact, my general idea when making this game was to provide no documentation on the weapons at all and forcing the players to learn which weapons they liked on their own.

The next thing is how small the enemies are in comparison to the player... There was a few times where I attempted to shoot a couple of them but it just missed them. I would make the enemies bigger or increase the bullet size a tad. [I was using the QWE gun.]

I've actually been considering adjusting the size a tad. You're the first person to bring this up, though.

And the final thing is the difficulty. I'm not going to lie, I really, really suck at these types of games. Perhaps add a difficulty setting for the not-so-gifted like me? :P

Hmm.. Difficulty settings might be something for me to consider in the final release. I'm not entirely sure on that.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
A good effort, but I really feel the turning is too slow. By the time you're facing the right direction, you're bombarded with lasers. And moving doesn't help - you just end up circling a huge area because, again, the turning is too slow. I reckon just that could make it a whole lot more enjoyable and balanced, though there are probably some other physics tweaks you could work in there to make it even better.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
I don't know about adjusting the turn speed; it seems to me that every time I do so, people keep complaining that the ship is still too slow.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Well, beta 1.4's finally out. Here's a list of the changes(I just copied what I wrote on the website, so if you've already read that, there's nothing new here):
-The title screen and game over screen have been adjusted
-A name entry option has been created for the eventual addition of highscores(highscores are not functional at the moment) You are asked to change the name once at the beginning and may change it by pausing and changing the entry in the text box provided.
-Once again, the ship's speed has been increased, but this is almost certainly the last time I do so, as the ship's speed is already more than 8 times the average speed of the normal alien ships.
-The recoil damage on guided missiles has been halved, and missiles now become less effective the longer they travel.
-The glitch which allowed you to pause and then fire several projectiles while the game was paused has now been rectified.
-The explosions that occur when you touch a mine are now different in appearance from the explosions when your own ship is destroyed.
-Explosions now do damage slightly differently - half upon entering the explosion and half upon exiting.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2011
Question: What does the missile do that spawns when pressing the A and S key? Do they go around in a circle around you or in a random factor?
Other than that I think it's pretty cool. Besides that after some tie of shooting you see a lot of missiles flying around, yours and your enemy's, kind of annoying sometimes.
Can't wait to see the final version.
=]

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Yeah, the A and S key are for the Arc Bullets, which circle around and hit you in the back if you just stay still and they don't hit anything.

The game's been updated to now have sound and a quick explanation of the game and copyright details during the pause menu.

Back