• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: FireRed Pokédex Hacking

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Ok Thanks Jambo :)

And since the topic is included in Pokedex Hacking, what are some of the best tools for hacking poxedexes as these are also scarce.

(Sorry If this is annoying and Spammy :/)

Last edited:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Question:
If I were to write a tool, that would look up the names of a pokemon, where could I find an accurate value of the table for pokemon names?

Mr.Pkmn

Ordinary ASM Magician
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2023
Question:
If I were to write a tool, that would look up the names of a pokemon, where could I find an accurate value of the table for pokemon names?
Set it as the default one and then let the user choose the correct pointer

Years
Hi!
Great work with this Jambo, thanks!
Also, I know the FR patch isn't even done, but how hard would it be to do this with Ruby?
Vapper

Last edited:

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Hey genius, you wouldn't happen to know what the default pointer is, would you?
um I think you can use one of the pokemon limiters to know the number of names and load a pointer from the ROM for the location.

I just use an ini cause there are a lot of pointers and limiters.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hi!
Great work with this Jambo, thanks!
Also, I know the FR patch isn't even done, but how hard would it be to do this with Ruby?
Vapper

I took one look at Ruby's code before and gagged. Fire Red's THUMB code is a mess, but Ruby's is something else. It's a horrid mess of useless lines of code mixed together with code which actually works.

I do wonder sometimes if the lack of efficiency was actually a concious decision by Game Freak to have the game run at 60 fps, or whether they just had a REALLY bad C compiler, but so much of their code is just utterly unnecessary!

Anyway, to answer your question, I won't be porting it any time soon, and I doubt very much that any one else will manage to do so. There are only a handful of hackers with enough experience to pull this off, and afaik, they all work with either FR or Emerald.

SuperJOCKE

Expert Trainer
Years
Man, this sounds so awesome.
It would be even more awesome if you could expand it even more yourself to add your own fakemons. Looking forward to it, I really hope you make a patch. Amazing job. ;) I just really hope you release it for public use though... :/

EDIT:
Just have two questions:
1. How about newer abilities? Like Porygon-Z can only have new abilities (Download and Adaptability), have you inplented them with those effects, if it's possible?
2. Can we change the location of the moss and ice rocks if you have inplented those?

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Man, this sounds so awesome.
It would be even more awesome if you could expand it even more yourself to add your own fakemons. Looking forward to it, I really hope you make a patch. Amazing job. ;) I just really hope you release it for public use though... :/

EDIT:
Just have two questions:
1. How about newer abilities? Like Porygon-Z can only have new abilities (Download and Adaptability), have you inplented them with those effects, if it's possible?
2. Can we change the location of the moss and ice rocks if you have inplented those?

Apologies for the lack of reply, only just noticed this post.

1) For now, they have been replaced with similar-ish abilities, or use abilities of their pre-evolved forms in gen 3. Eg, Porygon-Z uses Porygon/Porygon2's ability. In the long term, i'll look to add the new abilities.

2) Easily enough, yes. As the evolutions aren't actually triggered by proximity to a certain tile, but are actually triggered by levelling up on a certain map, they are easily enough edited. And it would allow us to have more than those 2 specific reasons for evolution.

Finally, yes. Fakemon could be easily added using this hack, but lemme finish the existing code first huh? :P

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2014
hi first of all its great to see somebody finally a person able to extend the dex
and second i thing the tools in here might help you even though i don't keep my hopes up here goes htt p: // swamperttools . webs . com / downloads . htm
i have a question:can you add more place to get all the gamefreak pokemon and yet still have fakemons like opining a 1000 seen/cought flags to get the ultimate hack i am planing for

p.s:sorry for bad grammer and messed up link not enough posts just delete the spaces

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
hi first of all its great to see somebody finally a person able to extend the dex
and second i thing the tools in here might help you even though i don't keep my hopes up here goes htt p: // swamperttools . webs . com / downloads . htm
i have a question:can you add more place to get all the gamefreak pokemon and yet still have fakemons like opining a 1000 seen/cought flags to get the ultimate hack i am planing for

p.s:sorry for bad grammer and messed up link not enough posts just delete the spaces

The POKÉDEX will only support 1000 Pokemon, with a rewrite (from 0 - 999). The rom can support (ignoring lack of space) 65356 Pokémon.

Last edited:

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
I just wanted to say that i think what u are doing here jambo is just great!!:P
with this u will help not just some but i think every pokemon hacker and 999 slots is even too much:)
keep it up and i hope that u will release it as soon as possible!

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Hey Jambo51, this looks absolutely amazing! Can't wait for the release!

I also have a few questions:

1). Will this work with JPAN's hacked engine?

2). Earlier in this thread you mentioned that this (at least the patch) will not work with a hack already in progress...why is that?

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2014
how many of the original pokemon will you insert and if its not a problem whats the progress

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hey Jambo51, this looks absolutely amazing! Can't wait for the release!

I also have a few questions:

1). Will this work with JPAN's hacked engine?

2). Earlier in this thread you mentioned that this (at least the patch) will not work with a hack already in progress...why is that?

1) It won't work with the patch version, but if you user the installer tool that comes with it, I struggle to see why it won't.

2) Because the patch is based on an otherwise clean FireRed rom. It would most likely overwrite or remove any hacked in data.

how many of the original pokemon will you insert and if its not a problem whats the progress

All of the Pokémon, up to and including Genesect, will be present and as close to correct as I can manage. Bearing in mind that a lot of the abilities and moves aren't available in gen 3, I'm having to pick placeholder abilities and replacement moves.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
are you deviding them into national dex and kanto dex or not

Why would I place the Unova or Sinnoh Pokémon in the Kanto Dex? That really doesn't make any sense. That said, it is possible to have them in a regional dex if you want them.

Years
  • Seen Dec 24, 2011
this will only be able to apply to pokemon fire red u?
and a very noobish question
how i edit the value to allow to pokemon to evolution without the national dex?

Back