• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen May or Brendan?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When playing Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, which character did you choose—May or Brendan? How did you choose him or her? What did you name them after? As for me, I chose May in Ruby, to go accordingly with my own gender. I named her my real name, which would be Ashley. xD" In Emerald, I chose Brendan. Don't remember what I named him, but I think it was Landon.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
in video games where i have a choice (particularly mmorpgs) i usually go with females but in those games the characters have a fully created model with something to look at but in pokemon no so much so i tend to always play as males. i used brendan in ruby and emerald but i cant remember what name i used. i vaguely remember possible names birch gave if you chose him as a rival and i ended up using one of those when i chose him to play as so i think i used landon too

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
it was brendan and may meaning i picked both. i loved their character designs and how brendan was wearing a hat the whole time. and mays bandana thing. i loved them both so i switched between them on every playthrough.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021
I picked May and I went with the name "Kristen" which is my name Lol. I just like picking the character that's the same gender as me it makes more sense to me that way.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 20, 2017
Brendan cause I was boy I played wen I was kid haha and myself or my "cool" nickname haha. It was like usernames before usernames for me haha

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
Back when i first bought sapphire i chose Brendan, and i think that i named him "coop" which is an abbreviation of my name. nowadays i just use blue for everything :P

Shadeh

KABOOM!
Years
Brendan for when I wanted to play as serious as possible, also put my irl name in it too.
As for May, I did it for 2nd playthrough or just for "Lols". Named her various feminine names, but sometimes but random slurs for good measures xD

soreninja

Dat Tongue Scarf tho...
Years
I picked Brendan, not just because I'm a boy, it's just because of the character's attire, especially his emerald design, it was probably my favorite design out of all the player characters in the whole Main Series

Years
Most of my playthroughs have had me picking May. In fact, all my Emerald playthroughs have had me as May. xP I've always found her design interesting enough.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
It was the first time I played a Pokémon game, so I just went in sync with the intro and chose Brendan in Ruby. Ever since, it became a habit to choose the male player, but yes, I liked Brendan's design and the fact that his hat actually became green in Emerald. It's the first time a clothing change occurred, though that was between two versions.

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
Years
I picked Brendan since I´m a guy and named him Nai like all my other characters.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
In my most recent playing of Pokemon Emerald, I played as May. I have to say, I really don't like the Brendan character when he's your rival, he's pretty rude, especially considering that this is a girl he's talking to.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
I chose Brendan and used my first name. However, Emerald May looks pretty good, so I have used May in playthroughs ever since.

180px-Emerald_May.png

(While searching for the above image, I found that the birthstone for the month of May is the emerald. Odd.)

Years
I chose Brendan so that I could name Brendan Brendan (just like I have all the other male protagonists before and after). Though, the only time that I decided to use the female character on a playthrough was Sapphire, and that was just for the novelty of having a rival with the same name as me.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I always pick Brendan for a few reasons. I'm a boy, he looks cooler and May's overworld sprites look pretty bad. I usually name him Brendan, Danny, or Daniel (my name). I've beaten the game with May but I still prefer Brendan. Plus, Emerald was my first game and I played as Brendan.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I identify as female, so I always choose the character that corresponds with my gender identity: in this case, May. Nothing much more to it.

Back