• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby or Firered?

Ruby or Firered?

• I think Ruby is better.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I think Firered is better.

Votes: 29 80.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ben_pokemon

ツタージャ <3
Years
  • Age 22
  • Asia
  • Seen Mar 11, 2015
Ok, I'm just getting into hacking after a long time of preparations, but I don't which rom to hack. Both are excellent in their own ways, but I just can't decide. Which would you recommend me to use? Which of these two is better for you?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Why not Leaf Green or Saphire?
Or if your wanting a challenge what about Emerald?

Seconded.

Neither is intrinsically "better". They both have their pros and cons. You can hack the graphics in one to look pretty much exactly like the other so in the end it really comes down to what features you want. HackMew put together a very useful list of the differences between Fire Red, Ruby, and Emerald in this post.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I think Ruby is better (for me) because it has many options. FR/LG and S/E are also good in their own ways.
But, I as a hacker prefer to hack Ruby.

Years
I don't like fire red that much. I think Emerald is good also ruby but Fire red has more advantage. It has many tools for hacking also It has more free space than others. So I think Fire red is good for hacking.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
Oh look, it's this thread again.

Well anyways, Both of them are good there's no clear choice.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
I like emerald best, but I'm too lazy to switch from ruby to it.

Acronell

www.poilkjmn.info
Years
Honestly, I've found Ruby is easier to work with, there are more bits of information on ruby, than I've seen for FireRed, but then again, I suppose it's more for preference. I wanted to use Ruby because I played through the game, I never really got a copy of FireRed or LeafGreen for my gameboy, so i didnt really want to use it.

Overdrive64

Deluxe Trainer Extraordinare
Years
I know there's something I'm missing but why would anybody choose Ruby over Emerald? They're the same game with more features and a Frontier. Is Emerald harder to script in or glitchy or something? Ive never had a problem with it

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
"Oh, but I heard from somewhere or someone that I don't know that someone else said to them to tell others that Emerald is unstable."

Yeah, that's the reason.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I know there's something I'm missing but why would anybody choose Ruby over Emerald? They're the same game with more features and a Frontier. Is Emerald harder to script in or glitchy or something? Ive never had a problem with it

"Oh, but I heard from somewhere or someone that I don't know that someone else said to them to tell others that Emerald is unstable."

Yeah, that's the reason.

Um, yes. More specifically, Emerald lacks support from various tools, hence the rise of un-knowledged (new word k) hackers proclaiming that Emerald is unstable/glitchy, when in reality it's not. Emerald is exactly the same to script in as R/S (and most of FR/LG; small things like color codes are different, but eh). There's nothing wrong with Emerald.

Years
Why not Leaf Green or Saphire?
Or if your wanting a challenge what about Emerald?
Because, they're the same as their counterparts. If they're being hacked, it makes no difference that Fire Red and Ruby are chosen more often. Anyway, most tools with support for Sapphire and LeafGreen sometimes use the offsets for Ruby and FireRed instead of their own offsets, (or... Something). Which makes it so that little things could go awry in LeafGreen, that wouldn't in FireRed.

Also, Emerald is the way to go. It's got practically everything to work with that Fire Red has- as .com said, ignore the hype. Emerald is absolutely fine, it's what I'm hacking.

Teh Baro

In my times...!
Years
Fire red has a better (more beautiful) layout to start with, and many world maps, which augments the potential drastically.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Seriously?

Any ROM!

Its not the ROM you should worry about, it should be your skills. You can't just hack and say I can't do this and I can't do that so I'm going to stop this.
If you have good skills then don't worry about the ROM. But, if you're me I'd probably go with FR/E 'cause both of those are OK.

Neon Hydra

Master of Visibillity
Years
I preffer using Firered because of how it seemed hard to find guides for things i wanted to do with Ruby

Back