• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I don't care, I want to rename Traded Pokemon.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
I think we should be able to change nicknames by now. It was different in the first three gens because you had to trade with someone you knew or just have a second copy of the game and system. At the very least, allow you to use species name instead of a nickname. They do that on the battle servers, so it's not like they can't.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
Let me start off by saying, I'm really happy y'all decided to post. I found quite a variety of opinions. I am pleased. No matter how much I disagree, you have the right to speak. (Or type, in this case.)

To those who agree with me: Thumbs up. The second we were able to Wonder Trade, we should've had the option to rename unsatisfactory nicknames from ppl we've never even met. Someday, that sentiment will become reality.

To those who said that nicknames are fine and that I should breed: You guys are half-right. It's not the freedom to nickname I'm against, and it's certainly not others' freedoms either. It's about my own preference. I prefer non-nicknames. And I HAVE thought about breeding. Except I'm not going to get a Golem, am I? So my dilemma has weight to it. My only hope is to befriend someone who has Alolan Gravelers or hope for a non-nicknamed Golem through Wonder Trade. I breed EVERY rare type I get. (As far as my uncomplete Dex is concerned. Oh and praise to GF for letting us Sun/Moon players catch a Ditto, yay!)

Oh, super glad I don't need Pokemon outside of Alola. Discriminitory, but makes my Dex Goal that much easier, unlike X/Y and AS/OR.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
This needs to happen. For me it isn't so much for traded Pokémon as it is for migrated/transferred Pokémon. I only use nicknamed Pokémon, but there are a few of my Shinies that I forgot to name before sending them to the newer games. T_T

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I like the idea of simply having the nickname removed, but not edited to something else.

This would help me a lot when I receive Pokemon with dumb text combinations of phallic symbols for nicknames.

Kyzy

Big Cat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
This this THIS! Gamefreak its been years, why? Sometimes you get really good stuff on WT and its useless because of their names... plus, as someone who likes to name EVERYTHING... it would be awesome for the nickname policy to change.

Years
My thought for a while has been that I actually can see the point behind not allowing traded Pokemon to be renamed, but I do think that shouldn't apply to Pokemon who haven't been nicknamed.

"This name represents the original trainer's feelings towards this Pokemon!"
What name?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
One thing I hated in the old generations was that npc Pokemon that you traded for had nicknames.

Thinking of a win win situation, what if all Pokemon came with a box that you could check before trading if you didn?t want someone to change the nickname, otherwise unchecked people could change nicknames. It would be unchecked to start. And would only appear on Pokemon with nicknames. Would fisappearif the name is changed back to original name in any language.

For the record I got a Tropius in wonder trade, its name is Japanese text with 2 hearts at the end. No clue what it says but its now my Sweet Scenter in X. I kind like the name.

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
I feel like keeping the name in a traded Pok?mon is one of the few ways to have a feeling in the game that the 'mon was traded from someone else in particular. Most of everything else (that is useful) can be tuned after receipt including EVs, whereas a number of attributes including affection values reset upon trade and the so-called Pok?mon memory only transfers so far (I seem to remember it's up to two trades depending on the Pok?mon?). The name is, in a way, the last remaining evidence of a legacy (and I guess that reminds me a bit of how in Final Fantasy VII, Cloud's made-up history and the Buster Sword are the last evidence of Zack's legacy. No, you are crying now).

That said, I think I like Masereati's idea that traders should have the option before send to allow their Pok?mon's nickname to be changed. This can be done via a flag in the Pok?mon itself, which should have no portability issues at least with the flags documented in the code so far, or via an equipped item which will trigger a script and consume the item, thus functionally equivalent to equipped-item trade evos. Trade facility screens would then only have to incorporate in their UI visibility for the flag / item, as well as a filter for eg.: Wondertrade.

As for Pok?mon who are traded in and not nicknamed (and thus their "name" is the species name) I feel like there should be the option to renick them as well as resetting them to non-nicknamed before trading them away.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I just reread what I typed earlier and I don?t know if the last sentence made any sense. The paragraph where I mispelled disappear.

I meant that if the OP nicknamed their Pokemon then changed it back to its native name then traded it. It wouldn?t have a box and would be nicknameable. I believe any Pokemon traded with no nickname, even if it once had a nickname and was changed back to its normal name, in any language, should be nicknameable.

That being said I think the games only recognize a small amount of languages so I think unless they made the game available in all languages, which is probably impossible, most named in other languages would be considered nicknames.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
It bothers me when I get a Pok?mon from a different language and it reverts to its original species name, and for some reason I'm still not allowed to nickname it.
Come on, GF, you're better than this.

Years
Probably something Game Freak isn't particularly motivated to change considering there's the pressing issue that if you change a Pokemon that's already nicknamed, it might come across as insulting to the person who nicknamed it.

... that is, in Game Freak's ideal world of "everyone gets along because of Pokemon and sings kumbaya around a campfire.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
It needs to be revamped. There is no excuse for why in this day and age we can't rename nicknamed Pokemon. They already have censors for any bad words in the game, but the fact that you can negate these shows how flawed it is. I don't care how much sentimentality a person had to "HE.S. B.A.L.s" let me change the name!

Pokemon haven't had any sentimentality since local trading. With online trading many people who do get these pokemon either re-bred them or release them. it's a nice thought, but it's terrible in execution.

Years
I'd at least like an option to revert the Pokémon's name to its language equivalent in the game you're playing for Pokémon who are named their actual species, just in a different language. So 'Kleinstein' (which is Geodude's German name) should have an option to revert its name to its English equivalent ('Geodude'). I mean....I know the names turn to English or whatever language you're playing on your game when they evolve, but obviously that can't be done for fully-evolved or Pokémon without evolutions. GameFreak really seems to like tradition and doesn't change the formula often, and I'm not sure why... =( If TMs could be made unlimited then I don't see why we can't just change nicknames of traded Pokémon.

Last edited:
Years
I think it should be allowed. In the age of the internet in which people are constantly making anonymous trades, more often that not with Pokémon specifically caught/bred to be traded, the old argument of 'this nickname really meant something to the OT' doesn't hold up much anymore.

That said I never use traded Pokémon myself, I have an OCD about needing the OT trainer name to be mine.

Back