• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Shiny Gold!

Aquilae

=))))))))88888888OOOOOOOO<
Years
The weird names are markers to determine whether zel has implemented the phone system for each of the trainers. I'm not really sure whether those trainers with such names have it implemented or not.

Ningamer

Mine is mine, yours is too!
Years
The weird names are markers to determine whether zel has implemented the phone system for each of the trainers. I'm not really sure whether those trainers with such names have it implemented or not.
Oh, ok. The hiker outside union cave has a weird name aswell. Thanks for clearing it up.

Why is Ho-oh's overworld sprite red and blue, but all other sprites green and red? I know it's not zel, but I askz Game Freak.

I nabbed myself a level 1 treeko! w00t!

Last edited:

JJK

The chase is about to begin...
Years
Oh, ok. The hiker outside union cave has a weird name aswell. Thanks for clearing it up.

Why is Ho-oh's overworld sprite red and blue, but all other sprites green and red? I know it's not zel, but I askz Game Freak.

I nabbed myself a level 1 treeko! w00t!
1st, every single trainer available for phone registrations has the same name, with the number in the beggining to be the only changing thing.

2nd, that overworld sprite (i think) isn't from any main series ADV, it's from Mystery Dungeon Red. The blue wings (and lugia's eyebrows, but i've seen the BOTH in blue and black, so any of them is okay) have alredy been reposrted, and will be changed (unsure if it will be on beta 6 or later).

3rd, nabbing a Treecko, like i did, used to be tough, as u had to have a lot of "eye", but it's easy now that it has been posted on youtube...

And zel, i'm sure there were a Juggler on the original Gold who said "Oops, dropped my balls!" when he lost...

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
zelly zel zel~

how are things going?

anyways, I got a question...
now that you are really good at making awesome minigames, are you planning on enhancing the Bug Catching Contest? :D

anyways, keep things up~

Ramengan

16-foot Poliwag
Years
  • Seen May 1, 2011
Use thief on Solrocks. It may be hard, but with some [ok, a lot of] luck, mainly because it's a rare poké, you'll get a Sun Stone.
Cool. I haven't run into a Solrock yet, but I'll look where I've battled Lunatones and see how that works out.

Also, just to remind you: Super Rod in Cerulean's Gym and Ruins of Alph. These are the missing.
Haha amazing. Didn't see that before. I'm kinda tempted to catch one and throw it in my Bad EGG box. (It's got one Bad EGG and 3 more invisible ones. Not sure how they got there, but I think it's growing over time. Hmm...)

DUNGEON PROBLEM! Not sure if this has already been reported, but I was exploring Victory Road, entering from the Plateu side, and I managed to get completely stuck. There is a ledge you can hop down and run into an area where you need surf to continue. The problem is, I didn't have a surfing pokemon with me at the time. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get where I did without surf coming from the SOUTH exit, but when you enter from the NORTH, you can go there and get stuck forever unless you can dig/escape rope out (or reset).

Also, not to be a damper or anything, but I stumbled across a thread that shows some dislike for this game. They appear to have a deep hatred for a lot of the new events, especially the characters, but they seem to like the rest of it overall. It's at gamespite (dot) net (slash) talkingtime, in the Let's Play Already subforum (sorry, seems I don't have enough posts to put in links yet). While it does show negativity, they do bring up some good points that could help improve Shiny Gold. ;)
Also I completely forgot about that really long staircase. It kinda hit a nerve for me, as well some of the rivals' dialogue. Perhaps re-work on them in future betas as this game nears final release?

One last thing, I don't feel the Ghostbuster event sequence is well hinted at. I got pretty stuck before breaking down and looking around for a way to get past Cerulean. Looking back, it wan't completely unobvious, but it wasn't a very smooth story segment. Same for Celebi, but that's different 'cause it's a legendary and such.

hooray for my critical post!

Last edited:

deadlyangel91792

Psn Id-Sirbagsalot
Years
hello zel and his team i am a huge fan of shiny gold it was basically the reason i joined pokecommunity now im really glad i did ive played some really good hacks but no matter what i play this is still the best.i do have a few questions though are we going to be able to battle red in mt silver and also what new legends will be availeble in the next beta?

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
Years
I'll just take care of all the answering before going to sleep (sorry if I miss someone, as always)

Did you catch Articuno? I did, I completely finished SGXB5.

Please, refrain from doing stuff with cheat codes -_-

Digglet's cave is accessible, you battle ashlee at the end of it, her party is quite tough to beat.

CARLOS: Her party is TOUGH!? Dont make me laugh... How in the world a GIRL with a puny PIKACHU can be tough? Pathetic...

Hi Zel, how has things been going for Pokémon Shiny Gold?
I like the remixes that clonex25 has done, I bet everyone can't wait for Beta 6. ;)
It sure has been 2 years you've been working on Pokémon Shiny Gold, I remember when Shiny Gold was first released, on the first Beta, the tileset wasn't changed until Beta 4. But the first Beta had a lot of problems on it. :\ That was only because you just started ROM Hacking, but now it seems like your much better at it now. Things sure have changed. I can't wait for Beta 6 since it's going to have a lot of features in it, and a lot of music inserted as well. A lot of the members (but not all) who join PC are only here for your hack (and maybe ask for release dates XD), anyway good luck. :)

Yeah, a lot of things happened. I'm doing good in college and now I have a job, oh and also I have a lot of people behind me forcing me to complete this hack :P

I found a cheat in the Fourth Beta!

Get to Blackthorn City Easy

When you need to get to Blackthorn, just get to New Bark somehow. Then surf to that road that leads to Tohjo Falls. Surf back. When you try to fly, the map'll be Kanto's map. Try to fly to Route 4. You'll end up in Blackthorn!!!

I dont know if it's something of an old Beta this time. It could be, because Blackthorn's flypost flag was changed recently. Try doing the same on the B5 (Yeah, I know that with Teleport that still works, but you know how much I dislike that move...)

Walk-trough-walls... so you dont need Arti to finish shinygold.
But when I finished mine i wandered about using it, and just look at what i found:

Well, it's just stuff that happens on areas that I havent implemented on that Beta, so I cant worry about that (in fact, they are probably all fixed as I reached those areas), dont send bugs of areas I obviously havent worked on.

Well, Zel, how is Feebas going to evolve?
And I'd like to ask you one thing: If you trade Pokémon locations, I mean those from beta 5, lease let me know so I can make a correct dex list for beta 6.
Also, just to remind you: Super Rod in Cerulean's Gym and Ruins of Alph. These are the missing.

Crossel had the answer right, you might want to check out what he said.

And I dont think I'll move any Pokemon, at least for the next release. Maybe later I would move the Pokes I put inside the ruins of alph.
Alright, I doubt I'll remember about it later, but I'll try '^o^

Zel, thanks for all your hard work on this fantastic hack. I was wondering if you could add support for gpSPhone, the Gameboy Advance emulator for the iPhone and iTouch. Beta 4 works, but not beta 5.

Here's the developors website if you need it; www dot zodttd dot com

I dont know why it stopped working, but I definitely dont want to lose my time on making a rom hack work for all the trendy gadgets that can exist. It doesnt sound too appealing to me. That's why I stick to making sure it works for the PC, if you want to make it work on your gadget, you are on your own, sorry.

My only complaint of this game is the lack of good moves. Most of my pokemon are using decent move sets, but not the best they could be. For example: Heracross knows return, earthquake, megahorn, and brick break. That moveset is lacking one good move, and that would be rock slide, that's just an example.

Except for the TM list changes and the lack of the move tutors, the movesets for the pokes are the same as in FR, so it's not a problem of the game. Besides, I think there are a lot of useful moves that are accesible through breeding. I like the breeding part of Pokemon, that's why I'll let those moves to be gained only by that way.

on pokemon shiny gold x in mahogany town after i talked to lance and went back i saved my game then went into the shop that amelia is outside of. i went back outside and talked to amelia but once she had given me the items she didnt go away so i alked agen. basically she stayed there until i went 2 the poke center and got loads of items.

my suggestion to fix this is to move amelia in infront of the door after you talk to lance

i havent got any screen shots so you'll have to trust me

great hack by the way, truly awesome:)

How many times I have been reported of that? I'll try to make the event that way (because I never had that problem), but I guess it'd be better to have a video about that (a video that would start before reaching Mahogany and doing everything till you reach the glitched Amelia would be prefered, but I'm not sure about the length)

But, I've got a question concerning the hack. Will all of the 386 pokémons be available?

Yep, in the final release.

what's with the rock near cerulean city

i can't go past it
it says Message from zel:I forbid you to proceed any further.
Don't try to move this rock or use walk through cheat.

is there going to be something in the future

There was some talking about that and since I dont want to spoil a lot, I'll only say about what you've been discussing "some parts are right and some parts are wrong", just some patience and you'll see what I mean.

THIS IS THE BEST POKEMON HACK EVARR!!!!! LOL

Question:Are u gonna add a script for Pokemon Trainer Red? Sorry, but in the original, he was the only CHALLENGING trainer in the whole game!

So, are you going to add a script for him? plz reply as soon as you can.

I'm sticking to the original as far as I can, so yes, he's obviously in. How could we not have him? The former champion of Kanto!

On the subject of obtaining every pokemon without trading, have you (Question intended at Zel) considered a way of getting the other two Johto starters, for example if I were to pick Totodile (Totodile ftw!) could I obtain Chikorita/Cyndaquil?

At least I have something for one, not too sure about the other. And of course, that's as much as I can say...

I found a glitch in the game. when i traded bellsprout for onix, it traded my cyndaquil. WTF>

Too weird, as JJK said. Are you sure you are using the (U) version of FR?

hey zel is there ever going to be another big battle with carlos (*SPOLIERS the one after beating lance where the necron battle song plays)

P.S. do you know who did the midi for that song i want to ask him/her something

And more spoiler asking which I'll have to avoid... We are reaching the end of the game, so you can expect him to become a little more annoying >.<

Is there any chance that, once you are happy with everything about the whole game, you could put hoenn in? Or would that be impossible as it would make the ROM too big and it would completely corrupt?

Nice work so far! Keep it up!

^_^ my first post ^_^

Definitely not. It's enough with those island-like-region-or-something that we'll have in the final release. Hoenn would be too much and not like I'd have a lot to put there. Johto/Kanto and Hoenn dont match too well, anyway.

Bug report: The bug catcher just before Violet City. His name when I battled him was 2TRAINER/1 for the whole battle.
o_0 weird

And who is Carlos?!?! Is he one of the extra additions that you mentioned? Certainly made Violet gym a lot harder ¬_¬

I don't like the new music. It sounds like it keeps crackling. I prefer the old music. Couldn't you have taken the island 4 music for cherrygrove?

Not like I forget about changing them, I use them so I dont miss them (and it's "battle time" just in case I need to repair something about them in PET), they are just reminders for me, and will obviously be changed to normal once everything is fine.

Guess I dont need to say who Carlos is, right? Else he'd show up here and kick all of us' rears with his hot ultra super awesome Pokemon team... :P

The music, as I've said before, it'll be improved with time. Not like music hacking is something really old, so we just need more practice.

I dont know, but since I also have a palette with those colors, I'll be using it with blue wing tips (word?), I dont think I have another palette to match the green wing tips (word?)

zelly zel zel~

how are things going?

anyways, I got a question...
now that you are really good at making awesome minigames, are you planning on enhancing the Bug Catching Contest? :D

anyways, keep things up~

I should, right? I dont know, it really took me a lot (back then) to make the Bug Catching Contest. Now it's preety ironic how everything could be resolved by a random command when I made all of that with a tough variables engineering. I dont think I want to touch that event, it'd make me feel kinda sad at destroying all that work...

DUNGEON PROBLEM! Not sure if this has already been reported, but I was exploring Victory Road, entering from the Plateu side, and I managed to get completely stuck. There is a ledge you can hop down and run into an area where you need surf to continue. The problem is, I didn't have a surfing pokemon with me at the time. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get where I did without surf coming from the SOUTH exit, but when you enter from the NORTH, you can go there and get stuck forever unless you can dig/escape rope out (or reset).

Also, not to be a damper or anything, but I stumbled across a thread that shows some dislike for this game. They appear to have a deep hatred for a lot of the new events, especially the characters, but they seem to like the rest of it overall. It's at gamespite (dot) net (slash) talkingtime, in the Let's Play Already subforum (sorry, seems I don't have enough posts to put in links yet). While it does show negativity, they do bring up some good points that could help improve Shiny Gold. ;)
Also I completely forgot about that really long staircase. It kinda hit a nerve for me, as well some of the rivals' dialogue. Perhaps re-work on them in future betas as this game nears final release?

One last thing, I don't feel the Ghostbuster event sequence is well hinted at. I got pretty stuck before breaking down and looking around for a way to get past Cerulean. Looking back, it wan't completely unobvious, but it wasn't a very smooth story segment. Same for Celebi, but that's different 'cause it's a legendary and such.

hooray for my critical post!

Ehhhhmmmm... I really dont pay too much attention to "escape" routes into the dungeons I make, and I dont think I'll ever will, as making escape routes will surely destroy the difficulty of the maze. I try to do what I can, but I guess I'm expecting a bit of carefulness by the player :\

I'm really more concerned about what people who play rom hacks often think about the game. Because they are the ones who know the effort we put into the thing that we do. Criticizing something without that knowledge is easy, but I cant really pay a lot of attention to that.
Anyway, I'm also more concerned about how I feel about the game. I know that I wanted to make a remake not so remake since I started, since, my saying is "you want a 100% remake? go play Gold on the GBC!", that's why complains about my extras will get ignored from me. But if you have something to improve them (not "just get rid of them"), I'll hear it (just remember that I'm quite stubborn and not very likely to make changes to stuff I already finished because of a comment)

I wonder what kind of things are wrong about the dialogues? If it's about spelling or grammar errors, it'd be understandable, since I'm not english. But I stay a while thinking on the content of the dialogues so they do not end up too "uninteresting" (though some of the trainers are not too interesting to begin with ¬_¬)

If my staircase is long, then it's probably because you've never been at the bottom of the ocean... XD

The Ghostbuster event is not obvious? That's right. And that's how it was supposed to be. It's OBVIOUSLY another way to make the player lose some time. Remember this is an RPG, where people should use their brain to think what he should be doing next. Besides, I think the president were really clear that "it doesnt work" and "someone in Johto had a working version" and "the guy likes ghosts"... if you need more clues... O.o

Thanks for the post. Took me a while to reply to everything but I hope you kinda get satisfied :P

i do have a few questions though are we going to be able to battle red in mt silver and also what new legends will be availeble in the next beta?

Yes and cannot tell that (well, Lugia is the only one already confirmed by me, as it was in the original Gold)

Gah... There were 50 minutes of my life replying to people... XD

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2010
Quick question (maybe add it to the FAQ? :o ) : What moveset do the Pokemon use? I.e which of the games do their list of learned attacks come from?

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2008
Ahh, so this is the amazing hack ive been hearing about. After only 20 minutes i can tell this game is awesome! The screens look amazing, the game looks amazing, and i give you lots of credit for trying this project as Nintendo wouldn't/wont. Good luck :)

Ramengan

16-foot Poliwag
Years
  • Seen May 1, 2011
Ehhhhmmmm... I really dont pay too much attention to "escape" routes into the dungeons I make, and I dont think I'll ever will, as making escape routes will surely destroy the difficulty of the maze. I try to do what I can, but I guess I'm expecting a bit of carefulness by the player :\

Of course, keep the maze's difficulty, but perhaps make that one part accessible by surfing, so that they can't get stuck there without surf. There's a labeled screenshot at the bottom of this post showing a simple fix. It won't affect the maze structure, I think. As long as that ledge is blocked by water, the player should be fine and won't get stuck, so at least the dark blue square should be covered. The whole light blue area would look better though, IMO.

I wonder what kind of things are wrong about the dialogues? If it's about spelling or grammar errors, it'd be understandable, since I'm not english. But I stay a while thinking on the content of the dialogues so they do not end up too "uninteresting" (though some of the trainers are not too interesting to begin with ¬_¬)

If my staircase is long, then it's probably because you've never been at the bottom of the ocean... XD

Spelling and grammar are fine. I didn't notice any glaring errors in those areas. I myself don't mind most of the extra's dialogues, and their consistent appearances everywhere. The only ones that got me were Jess and Jamie. They seemed, unnatural, for some reason. Oh well.
And now that you remind me, the staircase makes much sense in perspective. Although I'm surprised the player doesn't get crushed under the incredible pressure from being at the bottom of the ocean. :)

The Ghostbuster event is not obvious? That's right. And that's how it was supposed to be. It's OBVIOUSLY another way to make the player lose some time. Remember this is an RPG, where people should use their brain to think what he should be doing next. Besides, I think the president were really clear that "it doesnt work" and "someone in Johto had a working version" and "the guy likes ghosts"... if you need more clues... O.o

Thanks for the post. Took me a while to reply to everything but I hope you kinda get satisfied :P

I should've used my brain on that, and I do remember those clues in retrospect. I'm kicking myself now for being so dumb; I must not be used to thinking anymore during these lazy summer months.
Thank you. I'm very satisfied with this reply. Thanks. :D
Again, great job with everything. I am very pleased with this game, and I still can't wait for the next beta!

In other news, wild Farfetch'd are confirmed to rarely carry Sticks. I finally got two, and now I'm trying to get some Sun Stones from the elusive Solrocks. No luck so far.

EDIT: Probably gonna give up on Solrocks. They appear so infrequently that I can't keep going in with a 5% hope that one will have a Sun Stone. Just gonna have to wait a bit for more Bug Contests.

Last edited:

El Moss

General Cool Guy
Years
Quick question (maybe add it to the FAQ? :o ) : What moveset do the Pokemon use? I.e which of the games do their list of learned attacks come from?

Fire Red/Leaf Green, as that is the hacked version (And because Zel just said that in his post :P ) As far as I know Zel doesn't have time to get the whole Gold/Silver or Crystal (Slightly Different) movesets implemented.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Whats the point of changing movesets to GSC movesets? They basically learn what they do now, don't they? Just with more moves as well as some newer ones.

Ningamer

Mine is mine, yours is too!
Years
I had to restart my game after finding out that you had to have it on 128k FROM THE BEGINNING!

I was at Olivine city... and I spent ages trying to pwn Whitney (Way too hard for the 3rd gym [heed my warning, Nintendo])

Zel, can you answer me this: What's rarer, Hoenn pokemon, Shiny pokemon or Legendary dogs (after you've freed them)?

Last edited:
Back