• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Trio-Species Challenge (Revived)

Years
Hola, all and welcome to:

The Trio- Species Challenge

The point of this challenge Is to complete any game (Or for a challenge do all generations [ultimate trio species] ) with three totally different Pokemon.

Rules:
- The three Pokemon must be of 3 totally different types, if there is a secondary type, try to limit those. (For example, if your trio-species challenge included Sceptile, Altaria, and Gyarados, this WOULD be tolerated because Gyarados's secondary type is flying and it cannot learn many flying moves, however Sceptile, Altaria, and Pelipper wouldn't be tolerated because Flying is a half-type of both Altaria and Pelipper)
- You should limit yourself to 1 Pokemon being hacked in, but in some situations, 2 would be allowed, however, 3 is just too many
- Trading is allowed, most preferably in egg form
- Please do not use any cheats to make the game easier, it's supposed to be a tiny bit easier and tougher (at the same time) than the Duo Run, considering you have a bigger variety of Pokemon, but you also have another Pokemon to feed to train.
- Absolutely NO legendaries, this is for the fun of the challenge, otherwise it'd be too easy.
- The challenge is over when you defeat the Elite Four and Champion, Or when you beat Red in G/S/C or HG/SS
- In relation to the above, if you were to do an ultimate challenge with the trio, It would end after you finish all 4 generations.

Userbars/Banners:
rbytrio.png

gsctrio.png

rsetrio.png

frlgtrio.png

dppttrio.png

hgsstrio.png

bwtrio.png

ulttrio.png

ulttriobw.png

^All by jdthebud, THANKS SO MUCH YO.

If you would like a custom Userbar for your team, you can PM jdthebud for one but ONLY if it's for an ultimate challenge (:

Challengers
IMPORTANT: If you check the front page and you do NOT see your name on the list OR something is incorrect on it, please, LET ME KNOW so I can fix my oopsies. Thanks.
R/B/Y:
Spoiler:

G/S/C:
Spoiler:

R/S/E:
Spoiler:

FR/LG
Spoiler:

P/D/Pt:
Spoiler:

HG/SS:
Spoiler:

B/W:
Spoiler:

Ultimate Challengers
Spoiler:

Champions!:
Spoiler:

Ultimate Champions!:
Spoiler:

So. Let's begin =D

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'll give it a go. Hope I don't forget about it.

Version: Ruby
Team: Blaziken, Flygon, Glalie

Obviously these are insanely spaced out in obtainability. But I don't really care, lol.

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
So, with the ultimate challenge, do we have to choose a team which has at least one, preferably two members present in all regional dexes or can we choose any team (assuming they're available in at least one version of a generation) and hack/trade in when necessary?
Also, if I had a Magmar (for example) in my trio, would I be allowed to evolve it during the 4th gen part of my challenge?

Last edited:
Years
So, with the ultimate challenge, do we have to choose a team which has at least one, preferably two members present in all regional dexes or can we choose any team (assuming they're available in at least one version of a generation) and hack/trade in when necessary?
Also, if I had a Magmar (for example) in my trio, would I be allowed to evolve it during the 4th gen part of my challenge?

You should try to keep one in all dexes, but certainly if you wanted a team of Furret, Tentacruel, and Noctowl (By God, who would want that team?) I woud allow you to hack in a sentret and hoothoot, respectively, into Fire Red or Leaf Green. But it would be best if you didn't have to hack in all 3. And, about the Magmar, I would have to say no considering it doesn't evolve in the other generations, so it would be better to keep it as a Magmar.

@Sydian Lol ok added you, have fun catching Snorunt! [/sarcasm]

tachikaze316

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
Alright then, I'd like to do an ultimate trio challenge using Tentacruel, Flareon and Machamp. I'll go FR/SS/E/Pt and hack Machop in Fire Red (Can't get any team members before the ThunderBadge otherwise), Eevee in Emerald (Doesn't exist in Hoenn) and I'll catch my team normally in the others.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I figured I might as well update. I usually update after one gym, but I'm kinda blazin' through since I only have one Pokemon. Don't wanna clutter the thread.

Game: Ruby
Player: Dude
Badges: 2
Time: 4:21 (I think...something with 4 hours, idek)

Spr_3r_256.png

Followill / Combusken (m) lv. 31 @ Exp. Share
- Double Kick
- Bulk Up
- Ember
- Peck

Spr_3r_263.png

Zigzagoon x 5 (Rodeo Ring, OldJailKey, AlexIsSexi, Garrid!, and Zimbawee)
These are all HM/Pickup slaves

So yeah. I'm about to beat all the trainers on Route 117 and Wally and then take on Watson. I imagine I'll be sporting a Blaziken at the end of this. Heck, Followill will probably be level 50 by the time I catch a Trapinch, lmao. Oh well though.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
I've been doing something like this on Platinum, with a team of Torterra, Staraptor, and Floatzel. If I can, sign me up (Staraptor doesn't learn too many normal type moves anyhow, so...).

Last edited:

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2013
I'll do this on Leafgreen! My team will be :t003: , :t143: , and :t134:

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Anyhow, I'm going to post my team so far. Currently I'm training up for Crasher Wake (AKA battling the Pokwmon Breeder on Route 210 with Happiny multiple times).

"Weaselz" the Floatzel
Level 35
Bashful nature
-Water Gun
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
-Aqua Jet

"Birdz" the Staraptor
Level 41
Hasty nature (Luckeh me)
-Close Combat
-Return
-Aerial Ace
-Wing Attack

"Turtlez" the Torterra
Level 40
Serious nature
-Earthquake
-Synthesis
-Bite
-Razor Leaf

...And of course I have a bunch of HM Slaves that aren't worth mentioning.

Wake is going to be pretty easy, I think. He was easy last time I played Platinum, and I was using an Infernape... -_-

blue

gucci
Years
Didn't realise there was an Ultimate Challenge.. ah well, I'll enter that once I've completed my Emerald run :).

tachikaze316

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
I finally got around to starting this. Update #1

-Started the game, called myself Link and my rival Ganon (Yep, real subtle naming there...)
-Hacked Machop in place of Squirtle (Realised later I should've replaced Charmander for fairness's sake) Named him Power. (Okay, I know it should be Courage, but that suits Flareon so much better)
-Delivered Oak's Parcel
-Killed Rattatas and Mankeys until Power hit level 13, battled Ganon and won.
-Headed through Viridian Forest, battled Brock in Pewter City, critted Karate Chop vs Geodude and one shotted Onix with Low Kick.
-Got the Boulder Badge
Team:
Power/Machop Lv.16
-Low Kick
-Leer
-Focus Energy
-Karate Chop

-Replaced Low Kick with Rock Tomb and headed east to Mt Moon
-Caught a Paras HM slave in Mt Moon
-Beat Ganon again north of Cerulean City
-Beat the nugget bridge and made my way to Bill's house
-Saved the creepy furry dude from his 'The Fly' reference
-Healed up and headed to the gym
-2 hit KOd Staryu with Karate Chop, nearly KOd Starmie before Power fainted, threw my HM slave at it while I revived him (please, tell me this is allowed) and then finished it with another karate chop.
-Got the Cascade Badge
Team:
Power/Machop Lv.27
-Karate Chop
-Rock Tomb
-Leer
-Focus Energy

Last edited:

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2013
So I'm in the SS Anne currently. My Ivysaur (Shazaam) is level 31 and knows Razor Leaf, Poison Powder, Leech Seed, And Secret Power. Can't wait to get Vaporeon

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
Years
Version: Soul Silver
Team: Meganium, Milotic(Cheating in) and Ninetales

Accepted? I hope so, this seems fun!

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Ahh, the Triospecies challenge. Memories are golden...
Anyways, I'm going for a challenge. :D

Game: Emerald
Pokémon: Metagross, Glaile, Vaporeon
Oh, and you do realize that I need to cheat in Beldum and Eevee early game, right?

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
So many Challenges, so little time...

Gonna do this! An Ultimate Challenge with...

Gengar :t094:, Gyarados :t130:, and Machamp :t068:.

Will go Yellow, SoulSilver, Sapphire, and Platinum(prolly). This one looks like fun!

Edit: Just started! A quick update here for Yellow, which should be fun, since I've never played it before.

So I called myself Wes and my Rival Gary. After Gary stole my Eevee, I got a Pikachu, and lost to a critical hit Tackle >_< . After getting the Pokdex and making my way through Viridian City, I sharked in a Machop just before Viridian Forest. Pikachu almost died to a crit Karate Chop but I was able to catch it at L6 on the first ball with Pikachu hanging on with 2 HP left. Forgot to name it, though :(. With Machop, ran through the Forest and eventually had to use Struggle to beat the last trainer :laugh:. That was hilarious. Machop was at L12 when we arrived at Pewter City. Challenged Brock after growing to L13 in the previous battle, and won with Karate Chop spam and using a few Potions. The Critical Hit rate in this game is totally skewed! After getting the Boulder Badge and teaching Bide stat to Machop, I started making my way to Mt. Moon. I fought the first trainer and the Rocket and used the HP Up on Machop, then saved. Gonna start again soon.

Team Wes:
Spr_1y_066.png

Machop - L19
Karate Chop
Bide
Spr_1y_025.png

Pikachu - L6
Thundershock
Growl
Tail Whip

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2011
Can I join please?

I'll be using Torterra, Gyrados and Machamp and be playing on Platinum. Is that ok?

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
Years
Actually, since dragonite149 posted out Playr.org, I've decided to do it on Pokemon Red. I'll use Blastoise, Raticate and Raichu(If I'm lucky enough to find a Pikachu!).

Back