• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
i can RNG but i dont know the iv spreads :S

Don't know the Iv spreads? As in not knowing what to look for? If so, either download Pokèmon Online and use the Teambuilder to find the spread, or use the RNG reporter and look for a Hp Ice spread.

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
Quick question: which is this a good set for a modest megnazone?

Megnazone @ Leftovers @ Sturdy
Modest Nature- 252 Sp.Att/252 Def/4HP
Thunder Wave
Thunder
Mirror Coat
lock-On

Lezza

The Guy who loves Braviarys
Years

Thunder Wave
Thunder
Mirror Coat
lock-On

I wouldn't Use Lock-On Its a waste of a turn, Either use Tbolt instead of Thunder or Replace Lock-On with Rain Dance if you dont have Weather set up

Perriechu

Years

Thunder Wave
Thunder
Mirror Coat
lock-On

You can try;

Magnezone @Choice Specs
Magnet Pull
Modest (+SpA; -Atk)
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Magnezone doesn't have an impressive movepool, but with a base 130 SpA it will surely kill something. Especially if you can switch in on Ferrothorn, Scizor, Forretress etc Magnet Pull doesn't let Steel types switch so you can kill them.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Guys i am thinking of using this Setup on Togekiss:

Is it a bad idea?

Ev: 176 Hp * 80 Spa *252 Spe
Nature : Modest
Held Item Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace

-Roost
-Tri-attack
-Ancient Power
-Air Slash

and thanks in advance

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Guys i am thinking of using this Setup on Togekiss:

Is it a bad idea?

Ev: 176 Hp * 80 Spa *252 Spe
Nature : Modest
Held Item Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace

-Roost
-Tri-attack
-Ancient Power
-Air Slash

and thanks in advance
AncientPower's chance of raising all stats is still too low even with Serene Grace. You're better off using Nasty Plot over that. Also, this Togekiss struggles against Steels, so you should use Aura Sphere over Tri Attack. The EV spread should also use max HP and max Speed.

DalkonCledwin

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Guys I am still sort of new at this, and my Mentor appears to be offline for the day, so I thought I would ask here to see if I get a more immediate response... but with regards to EV training and breeding pokemon, does the EV rating of the parent pokemon in any way affect the child pokemon? Or am I just making a fool of myself?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Guys I am still sort of new at this, and my Mentor appears to be offline for the day, so I thought I would ask here to see if I get a more immediate response... but with regards to EV training and breeding pokemon, does the EV rating of the parent pokemon in any way affect the child pokemon? Or am I just making a fool of myself?

The EVs of the parent Pokémon have nothing to do with the child, the parent's IVs do however.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
Estimating IVs before catching a Pokémon?

I don't know where exactly this would go, so feel free to move it if necessary, mods.

Since the Random Number in the Damage Formula is pretty small (a range of 15% of total damage), shouldn't it be possible to find a range of [Special] Attack IVs before even catching a pokémon? Damage is known, your pokémon's defense is known, and Level is known. The only remaining variables in the Damage Formula are the offending pokémon's [Sp.] Attack stat and Rand(85,100). Given a high enough level pokémon (where IVs will have a better effect), it would be possible to find the Minimum IV needed to do the damage and the Maximum IV. After multiple attacks, the range would become more narrow as long as the random number is different since all other variables are constant for a single pokémon.

Can someone tell me if I'm wrong in all this? Has anyone ever gone through the trouble to find the math for all this?

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Advice Needed please!!!

I am working with my Nidoking that I hatched myself and am trying to find a moveset that will allow him to be able to stand his ground against other Pokemon that are his weakness. If you don't know, his weaknesses are:

Water / Ice / Ground / Psychic

This is how he looks currently:

Lv. 59

Ability - Poison Point

Stats:
HP - 185
Attack - 130
Defense - 117
Sp. Atk - 120
Sp. Def - 99
Speed - 141

Moveset:
Head Smash <-- Bred into him
Megahorn <-- to combat Psychic-types
Earthquake
Toxic

I don't know too much about IV's or EV's but I am getting the basics down for EV training I just don't really worry about it much at all. Advice would be appreciated. I was thinking of teaching him Thunderbolt but I'm not too sure...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Get Nidoking with sheer force. Teach it Thunderbolt/Ice beam/Earth Power/Fireblast (or flamethrower). Make it timid/modest. Give it a life orb. This is what makes Nidoking usable.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

What ^ said. Its probably the only good moveset for Nidoking.

Years
Is The community's PO server wack at the moment? When I connect, I get,
"Connected to Server"
Then nothing. That's the only thing on the chat box. No welcome message, rules, or people.

Thx in advance

Perriechu

Years
Get Nidoking with sheer force. Teach it Thunderbolt/Ice beam/Earth Power/Fireblast (or flamethrower). Make it timid/modest. Give it a life orb. This is what makes Nidoking usable.

Actually Nidoking can run another set similar to its standard special set;

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
Modest (+SpA; -Atk) / Timid (+Spe; -Atk)
Sheer Force
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Earth Power
~ Sludge Wave / Fire Blast
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

Nidoking has pretty basic speed, so a Choice Scarf is a nice item for it considering Sheer Force + its booster powered moves + amazing coverage allow it to hurt a lot of things. Sludge Wave is a nice STAB that gets boosted by Sheer Force but doesn't get coverage on much.

I'm pretty sure there's a Hone Claws set that utilizes Hone Claws and Rock Slide, too.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

Actually Nidoking can run another set similar to its standard special set;

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
Modest (+SpA; -Atk) / Timid (+Spe; -Atk)
Sheer Force
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Earth Power
~ Sludge Wave / Fire Blast
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

Nidoking has pretty basic speed, so a Choice Scarf is a nice item for it considering Sheer Force + its booster powered moves + amazing coverage allow it to hurt a lot of things. Sludge Wave is a nice STAB that gets boosted by Sheer Force but doesn't get coverage on much.

I'm pretty sure there's a Hone Claws set that utilizes Hone Claws and Rock Slide, too.

To add to the Hone Claws part, Nidoking can utilize the Attack boost for Earthquake and the accuracy boost for Special moves with high power, but low accuracy, like Blizzard. Here's the set:
-Hone Claws
-Earthquake
-Blizzard
-Thunder/Fire Blast
Nature: Naive
EVs: 40 Atk/252 SAtk/216 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force

Sheer Force Nidoking also gained the elemental punches in B2/W2, so it can use them in place of the special moves listed above.

Skillah

Pokemon Fan since 2001.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 17, 2022
Ev training advice / suggestions for a Competitive team?

Hey everyone.

I'm making a competitive team and i'm not sure what to use for my Ev's.

so far I have a mudkip with perfect Iv's and Curse/ waterfall and avalanche.
I'm not sure what to put his Ev's as. Should i give him 252 Hp/252 attack/4 defence? Or 252hp/252defence/4 attack?

Also, i'm hopefully getting a ferrowthorn with 31/31/31/31/31/31 iv's.
How should I Ev him also?

I may also get a Flawless Larvitar.

How should I ev him? I'm assuming I should put 252 ev's in Attack of course. But should I but the rest in defence? Or hp?

Thank you for taking the time to read this ^_^

I look forward to your responses!

SuperTreaz

The Elder of Dunsparce
Years
Well, if Mudkip has Curse, give him 252HP/40Def/216Speed. If you also want to consider the moveset... Here's one I got on the smogon forums. Curse+Resttalk Curse/Waterfall/Rest/SleepTalk.

Ferrothorn is a little tricky. I would make sure he has 0 Speed IVs so a Gyro Ball would work. I would have his EVs at 252HP/88Def/168Sp.Def. He should run the moveset of: GyroBall/PowerWhip/ThunderWave/LeechSeed

I don't know about Larvitar though. Maybe 252 Atk/192Speed/64Def?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back