• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime Contract Challenge 3

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Are we supposed to post these..?

Anyways, I got Non Non Biyori and recommended Selector Infected WIXOSS.

Years
I bought my assigned series because Funimation decided to remove it from their streaming service sometime in the last 6 months. And then I had it shipping to my parents' address rather than mine. Whoops. I'll still be starting it, though. When I go over to pick up my other mail that still winds up there, that is.

One day, Florges will come back online and I'll have an anime to start. One day.

Alas, today is not that day.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
I finished No.6 earlier today and I have to say I do quite like the show. I really like dystopian/utopian settings (see: Psycho Pass) however the show didn't take the themes it introduced in its worldbuilding and ran with them. The elements of shounen-ai, which I'm definitely not opposed, thankfully did not take away from the main development of characters (honestly it wasn't gay enough for me lol) but I would have to fault this anime's pacing for feeling very rushed and having a rather thrown-together resolution (there's also no real antagonist??? Despite them hinting at the presence of one??). Some of the characters had pretty much very little constructive screen time and one of them felt like a Deus Ex Machina. As for filmography and scoring, I can't comment much. The ending captivated me more than the opening which felt really awkward but also invoking an ethereal aura in relation to the utopian tropes, and I'm quite pleased at how the ending track was woven into the finale. On the whole, I would have to give No.6 a six (ironically). I don't dislike it; I don't love it. It is, I would say, a mediocre show. It's really lacking a wow factor.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Hm...so I'm about a third of the way through the first season of Minami-ke and...oh boy.

I didn't really know much about the show before going into it, though it only took a few minutes for me to realize that it was a cute girls doing cute things type of show. Which is fine, really, since I do, indeed, like cute girls doing cute things. Though if the show doesn't have much substance and is just an episodic SoL about cute shit then it's a bit harder for me to bite into, largely because I'm the type to get invested in characters rather than having them just be a wallpaper for my desktop or the next figure I buy because I like the aesthetic. This is why I tend to like comedies of this nature: they tend to be relatively easy to bite into.

So, about Minami-ke. So far it's not bad. My reaction to it's been something of a slow burn, largely because the comedy is pretty different compared to most shows by the same director, likely because he hadn't fit into his niche by that point (the first show of his that I really liked, Mitsudomoe, wouldn't be made for another 3 years), so laughter has been pretty sparse and it took me until episode 3 to actually laugh audibly, mainly because when the guy does do comedy his way, it really shows.

This in mind, I feel like the show also needs time to settle into the fact that it's a show. Because, for instance, they repeatedly use this gag where hyperrealistic close-ups of the characters faces are used, but they use it more than they probably should. For all intents and purposes, it should be hilarious whenever it shows up, usually because there isn't any sort of telegraph. so it really catches you off guard. The problem is, it really isn't used as sparingly as it should be, so its effectiveness varies. A lot of times it seems like the gag is used because they want to fill the space in a scene and they hope that it's humorous rather than because it would make the aforementioned scene funny and it would fit there (or it wouldn't fit and would be funny by contrast).

And there's one other...problem, I guess. I won't really officially call it one and, well, I pretty much expected this before going in. Mid-2000s anime loooooved doing this. Long-term misunderstandings for the sake of situational setups, plot, and relationship building (or stasis, depending on the series). I'm kind of a sucker. As I mentioned, I'm the type of person that gets invested in characters for being characters, so, generally, when a show rises from the woodwork and uses this as a framework, I get frustrated. Partially because I just don't think it's the ideal way to go about things and really just seems like an easy way to make X plot, X back and forth romance, X whatever go on for literally as long as you want. Made worse when there isn't actually any sort of conclusion or, worse, when they tease a real conclusion in front of your face and then swipe it up at the last moment. That's not funny, that just pisses me off.

Granted, it can lead to good comedy. In the case of Mitsudomoe (again, by the same director), the relationship between the middle sister and the teacher and their misunderstandings about both one another and their favorite sentai show was both really hard to watch and regularly hilarious (though it was hard not to cheer for both of them). Ranma 1/2 did this pretty well with any chapters involving his mother, as despite the largely episodic nature of the long-running manga, even though the chapters with her felt cyclical to an extent, pretty much all of them felt like they pushed Ranma as a character forward and led to some genuinely sweet moments (as Rumiko's wont to do in that series).

But again, in both of these cases I actually get really invested, partially because I like the characters involved but also because it just makes me want a satisfying conclusion. Because I imagine that if these shows had shortened their misunderstandings from taking place over the course of the entire series to in maybe one to three episodes, I probably would have been just as invested and the characters involved could grow with that development in mind. Back to Minami-ke, 'cause I'm just fucking rambling at this point, that's what I'm seeing here. The middle sister is being crushed on by the popular guy in class, but she's a dumbass so she asks her 5 year old sister who knows jack shit about romance and ends up antagonizing the guy because she thinks that he's out to get her. That's all hyperbole but basically that's the scenario, and while I am, again, a sucker and am totally invested in the situation, I also find myself hoping for a quick conclusion that I know isn't going to happen. In this case, I'd actually prefer it, because easy setups are nice, but fuck if these two aren't hard to watch.

All of this to say, if it sounds like I don't like the show, that's not the case. I like it more with each episode, and honestly, everything I've said here basically reflects my hopes for the series going forward. While I don't see too much changing in this season, as the seasons go forward I definitely see the show fitting into itself in a similar manner to how a series like Working did as the years went by. So we'll see, but that's my long-ass interim report that took way too long to write and nobody asked for.

Last edited:
Back