• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Python IPS Patcher

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024

Python IPS Patcher

Hello, all! I recently purchased an Apple computer, and I needed an easy way to apply IPS patches without using an app. So, to solve that problem I wrote up a little python script complete with a GUI to help out, keeping Mac users in mind.

Screens

Spoiler:

Download

Version 1.0: Click
Note: To get it to run on Linux, change the first line to "#!/usr/bin/python2". Thanks to Shiny Quagsire. :)

I've only tested this on Mac, so if you use it on anything else let me know how it goes! :)
Also, should I improve it? Add a way to make a patch?

Last edited:

Shufflejoy

Tutturu!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
It appears to work perfectly well on Windows! I have Python 2.7.6 installed.

BaUa17.png

It looks like it should work fine on Linux, but on my Arch install I don't have Tk configured and don't feel like setting it up to test. I do think you should add support for creating patches! I also think it would be cool if you added a way to use it from the command line. Something like:

./ips.py patch [IPS] [ROM]
./ips.py create [OLD] [NEW] [IPS]

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
It appears to work perfectly well on Windows! I have Python 2.7.6 installed.

It looks like it should work fine on Linux, but on my Arch install I don't have Tk configured and don't feel like setting it up to test. I do think you should add support for creating patches! I also think it would be cool if you added a way to use it from the command line. Something like:

./ips.py patch [IPS] [ROM]
./ips.py create [OLD] [NEW] [IPS]

Thanks for trying it out for me! :)
It would be a simple matter to either add the command line format, or create a second script with that feature, so I'll probably do it.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
It looks like it should work fine on Linux, but on my Arch install I don't have Tk configured and don't feel like setting it up to test.

Just tested on my personal Arch install, from the original .py I had to change the first line to this for it to work just executing it in bash:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python2
But that's only because it seemed to refuse to work with python 3, so launching it using python 2.7 is working so far:
tTdr0k0.png

(The lack of border is due to my tiling window manager, since I only use keyboard shortcuts to close and resize windows).

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Just tested on my personal Arch install, from the original .py I had to change the first line to this for it to work just executing it in bash:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python2
But that's only because it seemed to refuse to work with python 3, so launching it using python 2.7 is working so far:
tTdr0k0.png

(The lack of border is due to my tiling window manager, since I only use keyboard shortcuts to close and resize windows).

Thanks for trying it out!
I don't have Linux on any of my computers, so I appreciate you testing this for me.

Shufflejoy

Tutturu!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python2
tTdr0k0.png

Yeah, I had to change that line as well since my only Python install exists in /opt/android-build/python :p

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
NEW IPS PATHCER !!!!!!!!! Yes i was thinking to find something like this. Hope this will be lot easier then Lunar ips.

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
Years
Why is it not working for me, I have Windows 7 and Python 3.4.1. I click the program, a black window with text appears and closes before I can read the text. :|

Ok, after 100 screenshots of the window flashing I thin it reads:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\HP\Downloads\Python IPS Patcher\ips.py", line 10 in <module>
from Tkinter import *
ImportError: No module named 'Tkinter'

Last edited:

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Why is it not working for me, I have Windows 7 and Python 3.4.1. I click the program, a black window with text appears and closes before I can read the text. :|

Ok, after 100 screenshots of the window flashing I thin it reads:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\HP\Downloads\Python IPS Patcher\ips.py", line 10 in <module>
from Tkinter import *
ImportError: No module named 'Tkinter'

This won't work with Python 3. It's written for Python 2. Python 3 is not backwards compatible, with one of the many changes being the renaming of several modules (Tkinter -> tkinter, for example). Either attempt to run this through a Python 2to3 tool (should have been bundled with your Python installation) or download Python 2.7 and use that. You'll probably want to keep both versions installed, for situations like this.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
Still works on Ubuntu 20.10

Steps for the lazy:

Change the first line like it says in the original post
#!/usr/bin/python2
Also make sure you have
apt install python2
apt install python2.7-tk

Back