• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Offensive, Defensive, or mixed?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
When battling in the Pokemon games, are you an offensive battler, defensive battler, or a mixed battler?
Not in the competitive sense, btw, just in general.

I'm mixed. I like to raise my stats when it's necessary, but usually when playing the game normally, all I care about is attack moves.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Definitely mixed. I love running a tanky, impenetrable team of Pokemon, only to Baton Pass it right to something with offense for days. But, if I'm not feeling particularly strategic, I'll just use my Fairy powers and mow 'em down in one hit. >:)

Years
offensive, although for whatever reason I have way more special attackers on my team than physical attackers, and that's somewhat unintentional.

props to people who can use defensive in-game teams because idk how to pull that off!

Years
Offensive when going through the story for sure. I feel it tends to be easy enough without needing to worry about defenses. But there are those rare moments where things get tough (battling Elesa if you chose Oshawott as your starter) and I'm forced to go a bit more defensive!

Sorvete

Novice
Years
Mostly offensive. That's why I prefer more attacking mons and "glass cannons" over defensive walls. I often have movesets with just attack moves

Years
90% of the time I stick with offensive moves while playing in-game. Once and a while it makes sense to bust out a more defensive strategy, but most of the time there's no need to, so I never bother.

Any time I'm battling against someone else though, that 90/10 pretty much flips the other way. I love playing the long game and trying to out-strategize someone with statuses, stat moves, weather, etc.

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
Years
Offensive for sure, I've rarely used status moves and I mostly make my teams learn a full set of damaging moves.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
Offensive is a must to get through the game quickly, but I tend to go defensive if I struggle for battles, so a bit of toxic stalling or switching around here and their. Maybe I'll even give my team buffs at the start.

Years
I mostly tend to rely on offense, though I'll try to include a bit of defense to flesh out my battle strategies and movesets.

Last edited:

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years
Offensive if it's a normal pokemon game, but on certain hack or fangame where the difficulty's really hard then it's Defensive (Stacking Calm Minds, Curses, Trick Rooms, Baton Pass, etc.)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Offensive is pretty much objectively the best strategy for the main games imo. The enemy AI doesn't have enough nuance to it (+ the inability to switch out most of the time) to make defensive play or competitive tactics like stalling really worth the effort. Only the occasional hard boss made me feel the need to switch things up - in the Ultra Necrozma fight I had to lead with my Zoroark with a disguise to bait out a useless Psychic and waste one of its turns, which gave me room to barely scrape together a win. But needing that kind of thing is pretty rare in Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
Recently leaning towards hard hitting offensive teams. Although I try to fit a defensive wall in for healing my others, I haven't been doing that in recent playthroughs.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Offensive is really the only way to go in-game. If you have a few levels on your opponent, you can make sure everything goes down in one turn. No attacks for them, no damage for you, no defense needed.
As much as I love to use stall teams - and believe me, I have tried to train Shuckle in-game as well (note the word "tried") - it just takes way too long to get through the game.

Back