• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeClone: A Pokémon engine coded in Python

sonicrules1234

Python Programmer
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Pokemon xml files

Hi everyone. I've been hanging out in the IRC channel lately, and have generated some pokemon xml files from firered. It's got pretty much all the info in it besides tm's and hm's.

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2023
PokeClone Content Update

PokeClone Content Update!

Now this should look fancier, anyways time for the first content update where I'll be showing what's new/recent.

First thing, Sonicrules1234, who posted the awesome xml files for all of the first 251 Pokémon is joining the PokeClone main team! *claps*

Alright, so since the screenshots don't tell much and are kind of outdated (kind of being an understatement) I've decided to record a video!

Now, this is the internal Pokémon Bronze build, so there's a map in there that isn't in the final version, but it should show how easy it was to make a custom movement tile, in this case, climbing ladders.

And finally, here's a gif showing how smooth OpenGL animations are, expect more OpenGL integration soon!

Click on it to see it.

Also, we're looking for an OpenGL coder who can help out on the conversion from SDL, please pm me or go in the channel for more info

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2023
PokeClone Content Update! #2

PokeClone is starting to look more like a game? Why? It's got new content, 251 Pokémon from FireRed and all of FireRed's attacks, however effects haven't been implemented yet...

Here's today's video!

Courtesy of Sonicrules1234!

As you can see we have battles working once more, even trainer battles, a very early move list/attack command, some general tweaking here n' there, the damage formula from Gen.5 is in there too!

So what's next? 1) Implementing all of the Pokemon/Animations from Black/White, start effects/attack animations and 2) implement the battle system with OpenGL... BUT!

We need another developer, tpw_rules is busy most of the time and sonicrules1234 is more of a data manager/converter guy, so if you know a guy who knows a cousin who knows OpenGL, feel free to tell him about this project and join #Pokeclone in FreeNode!

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
Wow, really nice progress! I can really see this go somewhere.

I wish I could help but I have my own kit to work on. :p

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
Years
I would say that this is a really, really FUN, and CHALLENGING engine for Pokemon! I have been looking for one, as I am considering buying a PyGame :)

Also, could you post some source code for a sort-of template, like a map with walking, and such? Thanks :)

Again, Great Engine(I hope it's not dead..)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 29, 2022
I want that engine to support 3D graphics. I'm tired of Pokemon fangames being only in 2D.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 8, 2020
Anyone go on to make anything with this? Expand on it? I'm going to check out the links now, hope a repository on github or something exists, be nice to have the assets/tiles/sprites they have in the screenshots. I started a PyGame game last night, idk if openCv will be used or not, I was thinking about Tkinter for some menus, maybe even most non-topdown things. I was thinking of more of a Shantae the GBC game, clone, mix with pokemon with RPG elements a little different than pokemon, however some parts that will play like pokemon, a dash of Dragon Quest as I just played through a ROM hack on a cartridge of english Dragon Quest 3 on SNES.

Also have been thinking about making a ROM hack for longer than I have been coding, but at this point making a game would be better, I would probably not have to learn as much honnestly. If I do make a ROM hack or get into it, i'll probably ended up trying to make a tool or something, and spend tons of time on something I know little about.

Back