• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TCGO: Changes Coming to Online Code Redemptions

Years
Starting with the Pokémon Trading Card Game: Black & White series, specially marked booster packs have included a Pokémon TCG Online code card. These codes can be redeemed for booster credits in the Pokémon TCG Online shop, which can then be used to unlock digital booster packs from any expansion available in the online game.

During the early stages of beta testing, the booster credit method provided access to expansions that were in the online game but did not contain code cards: the HeartGold & SoulSilver series and the Call of Legends expansion. While complex, the booster credit system created a diverse card pool, allowing players to construct a wide array of exciting decks.

Now in its second year, the Pokémon TCG Online has 12 expansions available, with number 13 coming in February 2013: Black & White—Plasma Storm. As the card pool continues to deepen, the need for this complex booster credit system has decreased. Over the next 18 months, a more streamlined redemption process will be rolled out, making it easier than ever to get straight into the game.

Beginning with the Black & White—Plasma Storm expansion, each Pokémon TCG Online code card found in a booster pack will unlock a digital booster pack from the same expansion, rather than a booster credit. For now, code cards from earlier expansions will continue to unlock booster credits, which can be redeemed for any expansion released before Black & White—Plasma Storm that is currently available in the online game. When the transition is complete, unredeemed code cards from every Pokémon TCG expansion will unlock digital booster packs from the same expansion. Booster packs from expansions that do not contain code cards but are available in the online game will be available by other means.

Our goal is to complete this transition before the end of 2014. We will continue to keep the community informed via news articles as the transition progresses. Each article will outline the next step in the process and will be posted a minimum of 30 days before that next step goes into effect so these changes do not catch players by surprise.

We appreciate your continued support and look forward to seeing you in the game!

Source: http://www.pokemontcg.com/news/?p=315

I am not pleased with this at all, but I guess it does make it more accessible for prospective players who would be easily confused by the booster credit system currently in place. Unfortunately for me, this means redeeming all 200 of my code cards ASAP so I can still get my choice of boosters. I do understand the logic behind it, but it doesn't make me any less unhappy with the decision.

What are your thoughts on this change? Is it a step in the right direction, or do you think it's a terrible, terrible death-kneel for the TCGO?

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2013
Eh, I think it is no more then a speed bump. The way they are changing it too makes more sense, and is closer to how I believe people would expect it to act.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
If you've ever tried to input more than 5 at a time, it's just frustrating. I did not own a webcam so I had to manually type in over 40 codes. They want the system to be more smoother and literally just a few characters to ensure that if you do wish to type them, then it is A LOT quicker to input them. I have tried to use a webcam on a laptop in a previous version of PTCGO when it was still browser based and you had to click "okay" after every code got scanned...
They need to improve the program and the way booster pack codes are done to ensure that they can be inputted to maximum efficiency without errors.

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
I would much rather get the cards I actually get in my physical booster packs - and that's what I was expecting when I joined the online TCG.

I was planning to use it for practicing with my deck ideas, but now I'm ending up with all different kinds of cards so that's not helpful anymore!

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
It's easier to construct decks due to single cards on eBay being so easily available. With the TCGO you need to buy tonnes of online boosters to get the cards you want T_T

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
Makes sense. I also don't think there are many reasons why already bought code cards haven't yet been redeemed.

Years
I think it's both good and bad.
Good because it ups the sale of new packs, which is a good business move in my opinion.
Bad because people will sell those codes, and say you buy 30 codes, that'll be 30 random packs and not packs of your choosing.

It's a double edged sword, but I can see the need for it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2013
I wish the pack codes match what was actually in the booster pack like the theme decks do.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
If you buy a collectors tin of "Mewtwo EX" or "Darkrai EX". The code inside gives you a promo Mewtwo EX or Darkrai EX. That was the easy way of grabbing them online =p

Years
What would be the fun in having an exact match for your physical booster pack? I've had plenty of bad boosters offline, so I'm not a fan of having an exact match to the physical booster, since it'd discourage people from redeeming a code from a weak booster pack, and the codes people would sell would be the ones they pulled from weak booster packs.

Makes sense. I also don't think there are many reasons why already bought code cards haven't yet been redeemed.

The biggest reason is that people were stockpiling them for the next set, so they could get a bunch of the virtual packs for the new set on release day, when the new set is at its most valuable online.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
That would be stupidly hard to do in the manufacturing and packaging stage and take a lot of time.
I like the system as it is now as long as entering codes is quick and easy.

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
What would be the fun in having an exact match for your physical booster pack? I've had plenty of bad boosters offline, so I'm not a fan of having an exact match to the physical booster, since it'd discourage people from redeeming a code from a weak booster pack, and the codes people would sell would be the ones they pulled from weak booster packs.

The biggest reason is that people were stockpiling them for the next set, so they could get a bunch of the virtual packs for the new set on release day, when the new set is at its most valuable online.
Fair enough, I'm mainly a collector XD

Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2013
hah thats terrible. I had no idea. thanks for posting this. time to use my codes

Back