• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Nice, Just new here and patched the rom so that i can play, i let you know if i do enjoy it.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hope everyone's having a good afternoon!

Things are probably going to be slow moving with Throwback for the foreseeable future. Most of my free time is gonna be taken up by other things now that football is back. I'll make sure to make some time here and there for the hack, though!

Before I leave for the weekend, I thought I'd leave a teaser image for what I've been working on as of late. Stay safe, everyone!

Tool_3.png

Edit: Looks like I might have free time on Sundays after all. Finishing this tool is my current priority for Throwback.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 21, 2020
Does this have a PSS? I see nothing that says it does but I wanted to double-check.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
That's correct. Throwback doesn't have the P/S/S split in it in order to retain compatibility with the official games.

Having said that, you can apply the patch(es) for it separately on top of Throwback if you wish. If I get that tool fully functional, I might even include a separate option for things like it in a new tab!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
That's correct. Throwback doesn't have the P/S/S split in it in order to retain compatibility with the official games.

Having said that, you can apply the patch(es) for it separately on top of Throwback if you wish. If I get that tool fully functional, I might even include a separate option for things like it in a new tab!

Where I can found a patch for P/S/S? i tried to find one without results :'(

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hey, If you want a PSS patch, I make one! You can download from https://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=88890&d=1566777067

And in my thread I have the information of the patch. You can use in this hack
Your patch inserts new data (presumably for the Physical/Special/Status art symbols) at the start of free space (roughly 0x71A240). I use that for the GB Sounds in Throwback, so it'll be incompatible with my hack.

Aijen, look at the links I provided for you. The very top of the OP of the first link will point you to Doesnt's P/S/S patch.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
Your patch inserts new data (presumably for the Physical/Special/Status art symbols) at the start of free space (roughly 0x71A240). I use that for the GB Sounds in Throwback, so it'll be incompatible with my hack.

Aijen, look at the links I provided for you. The very top of the OP of the first link will point you to Doesnt's P/S/S patch.

Okey, so if i download your patch just need install it and its all? 🤔 without edit every single move right? 🤔 Just apply and enjoy?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
I apply a path the add the splu and the icons, so need apply your patch or not? 🤔 Im confused...

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I apply a path the add the splu and the icons, so need apply your patch or not? 🤔 Im confused...
Which patch did you apply to get the icons? That'll determine if you've gotten all you need.

If you only apply Doesnt's P/S/S split patch, the system will be implemented. However, since it doesn't change the unused bytes of any of the existing moves, every move will be treated as a Physical move and thus be calculated by the Physical Attack stat. The second patch I linked you to will change all moves to their proper distinction (Physical, Special, or Status) and have their power calculated as they should in later games.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 18, 2019
hey, does this hack work on standard gba hardware/vc inject on hacked 3ds, or emulator only?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
hey, does this hack work on standard gba hardware/vc inject on hacked 3ds, or emulator only?
SevenChurches is right. Throwback works on actual hardware. I've personally tested it with a VC inject.

The one issue will be with evolving Eevee via happiness. Since the game uses a system-based RTC instead of one you set in the game, it won't be able to tell what time of day it is. I believe this means Eevee will always evolve into Espeon, making Umbreon unobtainable on actual hardware. I'd like to replace the typical RTC implementation with one similar to that in R/S/E. Not sure if that's been done before in FR/LG.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Hey,

Just FYI:
I ordered your RomHack from a chinese clone card supplier. As most of them today use batteryless saving, I was able to dump an IPS patch with this.

If you're like me and want to use the game on a real (repro) cartridge you have 2 options:

1. Use this [1] batteryless patch - which may or may not work with you cartridge type. Please be aware: Savegame injection and dumping is a bit tricky with this, as you need to find out the exact address on your ROM. The savedata is located at offset 0x780000, so you just need to extract it or inject it at this position of the ROM file.

2. Use my patching tool from [2] to patch the ROM after applying the IPS patch(es) from RichterSnipes. It will patch your ROM to use 1MBit of SRAM, so you are able to save properly with supported repro cartridges.

Note: Either way the game is not working in an emulator, as the patches use repro cartridge specific calls to addresses that an emulator can not do.

[1]
[2]

Unfortunately I'm not yet able to post links -.- If you want to get hands on the patch / tool just drop me a PM.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Wait, are you saying that a Chinese site is offering my ROM hack for sale on a repro cart? Oh boy...

I feel I need to disclose this information for my own legal protection. Pokémon Throwback is not supposed to be for sale, and I'm not working with anyone to have the hack distributed physically for profit. If you are purchasing the hack from anywhere, you are getting scammed. Even if it's something only China offers and nowhere else. In fact, that makes it so you can't be assured that it'll work as intended. I'm not going to bother trying to diagnose any problems with this "release" of the game.

Back