• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The In-Game Trades

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
In the 4th Generation, like previous games the in-game trade feature made a return. What is an in-game trade? Essentially it is when certain NPCs throughout the game offer to trade unique and strange Pokemon with various nicknames, in return for a certain one that usually can easily be found. When you trade away a Pokemon for them, the in-game trade you receive will be the level of the Pokemon you traded. For example let's say I traded an NPC a Buizel at Level 10 in return for a Chatot. The Chatot I'd receive would be Level 10.

You may find out all of the 4th Generation In-game trades here.

Now to get to the point, did you like the Pokemon being offered? Were they good choices or poor ones? Do you think there could of been any improvements? Have you ever done an in-game trade, if not why? And discuss!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I didn't like the DPPt in-game trades at all, and I think I've only used one and that was Chatot. It was only because I didn't want to wait 7 badges into the game to have one, cause I thought the design was awesome and I like...needed one badly haha. And I hate that Haunter trade! So mean! It's holding an Everstone. What a slap in the face!

Since the HGSS in-game trades match the GSC trades for the most part, I don't have much to say on that. I think they're useful and I really like the HGSS specific trades they added, like Jasmine's Steelix. Nice touch!

Years
I was a bit disappointed with most of the trades, but the most worthy one is definitely the trade Bellsprout for Onix and Drowzee for Machop in HG/SS. Both come in handy against Falkner, Bugsy and Whitney, who you'd otherwise struggle with.

I like how you could get Chatot pretty early in D/P/Pt by just trading a common Buizel for it. Chatot may not be the best Pokemon in the world but it does have its uses here and there. D/P/Pt was severely lacking in good trades, and that Haunter you can trade a Medicham for has an Everstone, meaning it won't evolve immediately, which is a shame.

Years
I absolutely hated the Medicham/Haunter trade in DPPt, as it took me quite a while to actually find a Medicham, only to realize that the Haunter was holding an Everstone so it wouldn't evolve.

I did like some of the trades in HGSS, though, with my two favorite being with Brock and Jasmine (especially being able to trade any Pokemon for Jasmine's Steelix). Some of the names were pretty awful though, like Billy the Voltorb and Paul the Xatu. I'd much rather keep my own Pokemon with those names, thank you.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
For me...I don't know the D/P/Pt trades were awful. I particularly only really liked the Buizel for a Chatot one, although Chatot wasn't particularly useful, it was great getting it early in the game compared to having to wait five gyms though and playing around with Chatter was great fun. <3

Although the Medicham for a Haunter trade was a major letdown :x. I honestly thought the Haunter would evolve and I was so pumped, I had badly wanted a Gengar for the longest time and then I receive a Haunter holding an Everstone, was really disappointed. XD;. Although I must say other trades like Finneon for a foreign Magikarp were quite interesting but overall D/P/Pt in-game trades could have been miles better. :P

And as for HG/SS I liked them! The French Pikachu was really cool and I thought they were all neat.

Back