• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: DS Map Graphics Editor

Do you want Platinum, HG/SS and BW first Map for the first release?

• Yes

Votes: 396 90.8%
  • No, later

Votes: 40 9.2%

• Total voters

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
This is amazing! I'm currently working on a HGSS hack, and trying to learn all I can about the game. If I find any useful information for HGSS, I'll be sure to let you know! This is a wonderful breakthrough for DS hacking!

Years
I have an idea for your tool. I think you can put an DS emulator like DeSMuMe or No$gba in your tool for test the map directely in the tool to see if what we have modified is better or not. It's just an idea but if you can add this i think it was better.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I have an idea for your tool. I think you can put an DS emulator like DeSMuMe or No$gba in your tool for test the map directely in the tool to see if what we have modified is better or not. It's just an idea but if you can add this i think it was better.

It would actually be rather pointless to have something like that when you can already test it out with the emulator itself. Besides, the 3D viewer should be able to view the maps, once it's implemented. So why do we need an emulator built into it? And besides... it would be extremely hard to put a closed source emulator like No$GBA in the tool, even for it's debugging purposes.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Status project: I will rewriting my tool in C# with an Map Viewer, and other exciting features.
Textures and blocks are my priority, now.

Support of BW 2 are already planned at the release of the games.
No asks for new builds please, i work hard on this and only when i have time.

Don't forget: For comparison, Advance Map is a project started since 2003.
And we still have new versions in 2012 (and maybe final release in 2013?), so don't worry, and don't be impatient!

Hm... C#, sounds excellent. I have actually managed to extract the Nuvema Town map model out of the map binary, it's done by opening up a hex editor and copy and pasting the data from where it says "BMD0" in the text, all the way down to near where (what I think is) the movement permissions, which has the bytes such as "80" and "81", but stop right before the "20 00 20" bytes, which indicates the next area of data and the end of the map layout model.

And don't worry, I'm a very patient person. And as for AdvanceMap... Lu-ho hasn't been on for quite a long time. It kinda worries me when a program is closed source... 'cause when the author never returns and has mysteriously disappeared without anyone knowing... then who exactly is going to take over the project and keep it running?

Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2012
Very nice post!! It's seems very usefull, but I can't download it... how can I do it??

Thanks for post!!

VERGUNDAI

RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker
Years
Yes,

- also on some computer's can't render 3D Models with DS Map Graphics editor

- always showing error no 3D render,,,

( I Wonder if there is any solution to that, for those who can't seem to use it.)

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
I wonder how long it'll take before X and Y map editing becomes possible, I imagine I'll be married with kids by that time XD

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2014
It would actually be rather pointless to have something like that when you can already test it out with the emulator itself. Besides, the 3D viewer should be able to view the maps, once it's implemented. So why do we need an emulator built into it? And besides... it would be extremely hard to put a closed source emulator like No$GBA in the tool, even for it's debugging purposes.

Being closed source is not relevant because running an external exe is an operating system process. I would also look into doing functionality like this just like real programming IDE's do. Save the code or changed textres/models in this case and then dump them back into the rom during the save process and have the build or run functionality call the emulator.

P.S. you can always use a decompiler to figure out the code of No$GBA. I'm sure there is a space in memory you can cram the pre-loaded rom into.

Years
I know there would probably be bugs with this, but one thing that I would love to see is the ability to export maps and models from one game (say Platinum) and import them into another (say Black). This would be tough to do, but this plus the ability to create maps from scratch in theory would allow the creation of a "World Version" that includes all of the current regions.

Back