Thread: [Pokémon] Reverberations of Time
View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2017 (5:58 AM). Edited November 20th, 2017 by Unown Seer.
Earnest

Chapter 1

"Welcome to the Pokmon world; my name is Oak. This world is filled with remarkable creatures, about which there are still many mysteries my colleagues and I investigate every day. But enough about me. Your name is Ernest, correct?"

It's that dream again. I keep having it only to be disappointed when I wake up. Why is my mind subjecting me to this cruelty?

Prof. Samuel Oak was a great man without whom the Pokdex project would have never come to fruition. And if that had been the case, I would have known very little about Pokmon. And the reason for that is

They've been gone for 19 years, since before I was born. All people say about it is that a strange plague wiped them out one after the other, until none were left. Mom doesn't like it when I ask her questions about this. She says that the less I know about Pokmon and their fate, the better off I will be.

"The past is the past, and enough people have been burdened by it. You deserve better."

As I came to learn two years ago, it wasn't just Pokmon that died, but also the likes of the late Oak who lost the will to live. That also goes for great grandpa Kurt, who was a friend of Samuel's.

"The only thing he lived for was creating Pok Balls, which he considered pivotal to shaping the relationship between a trainer and their Pokmon," Mom once said.

I still don't understand that sentence, but suffice to say that it doesn't matter now. Pok Balls no longer serve any purpose, or do they? All I know is that people around me refuse to say much of anything about Pokmon, but it is easy to tell that there is still a deep sadness lying beneath the surface. Most people seem to have moved on, but not without feeling blame for it. I have no idea what the world was really like before it changed so drastically, and I can only wish I had lived in another era. Pokmon must have been fascinating creatures based on the information documented in the Pokdex. A world with only humans is bland, even to someone like me who doesn't know any better. I don't care for most people, if I'm being honest with myself.

But I don't dislike my life, to be sure. Since Mom works at home and is a little overprotective, she has been homeschooling me. Why is that a good thing? Because the world out there is dreary and void when you really think about it. In contrast, Mom has preserved some of those qualities her own childhood was filled with, so I don't need anyone else but her and granddad Vincent. He is an enthusiastic guy when it comes to technology, but I like him just for being a good friend and making me laugh. But his work usually keeps him busy, and it goes past that these days

My thought process is rudely interrupted.

"Ernie, you should have been ready 15 minutes ago. Get a move on already."

Those last words have a rough edge to them, but Mom's tone is actually soft, as if there were still time to spare. Still, I'd better focus on the trivial task of waking up right now. As I do so, I still wonder what Mom has been doing with her custom Pok Ball knowledge. Only an oblivious fool wouldn't notice that she's been awfully busy working at Silph Co. recently, along with Grandpa. He has worked in Saffron City for about 30 years now, but Mom only moved here after her grandpa died. For me, Saffron is the only home I know, and in fact, I've never left it.

"For pete's sake, how long will it be till you come eat your breakfast?"

"I'm coming. No need to get your panties in a bunch over something so banal."

I go down the stairs and sit down at the table in front of Mom. There are delicious pancakes already prepared, no doubt made with almond milk just as I like them. But before I can take a bite...

"Such cheekiness. I hope you never use such language with other people, but that doesn't make it okay to do so with your own mom."

I've clearly hit a nerve, as evidenced by her shaking head. She has a point: I've been pretty agitated lately.

"Sorry. I can't help it, but I'll try."

She doesn't seem pleased but is willing to let it slide. She shrugs her shoulders and pours juice, only to change the subject.

"As you know, I no longer have time to home school you. I want to start looking for a proper school."

I've been dreading this moment. True enough, she has far less time for me these days. But isn't it cruel to send me out there all of a sudden?

"That doesn't seem fair when you haven't even explained what it is you're doing now."

"I'm helping Grandpa with a project. I can't say anything beyond that."

And I can't stand it when she puts on the secretive act. That is not the Mom I know.

"Then I am not going to any school for boring kids."

She is staring at me now, her eyes widened. Quite carefully at that.

"I don't recall asking for your permission."

So that's that? I need to convince her somehow, but she is already giving me an annoyed look.

"I know that this project of yours is about Pokmon. I want to help."

"Last I checked, you were a 12 years old kid. Cut the attitude and stop pretending that you're an expert on anything."

Her head is shaking again. She looks older than her usual self, who isn't even 30 yet.

"I may not be an expert, but I want to study about Pokmon. A school doesn't offer that education."

A perfectly good comeback, I'd like to think.

"Why should it? Pokmon are gone The kids of today need to focus on what they can do, which has nothing to do with Pokmon. I wish you'd understand that already."

Understand? Why would I?

"I think you're a hypocrite. You have never done anything but create Pok Balls long after the plague. That tells me that things aren't as simple as you'd have me believe."

Wow, I can't believe I've just said that to my own mom. She looks even more frustrated with me right about now.

"A hypocrite? That's alarmingly disrespectful and shows how little you really know. My primary job is to be your mom and your way of showing gratitude leaves a lot to be desired."

Her voice has become intimidating. I need to lighten up the mood sooner rather than later.

"I didn't mean to say that, sorry. My point is that you're moving onto something else now, and there is probably a good reason for that."

She stands up and looks at me from above.

"I will tell you about it when the time is right. But you are absolutely going to school no questions asked. That is the best way for you to apologize."

I resist the temptation to roll my eyes, since I know better than to get deeper into a debate. Mom can be scary when I don't control my mouth. And besides, I can handle going to school while carrying out my investigation. She may be keeping her trap shut, but Grandpa is far worse at lying through his teeth. I just need to find the right time to ask him a few questions while Mom isn't watching my every move. That isn't likely to happen soon, though.

"We are going to Saffron Academy first. I expect you to be on your best behavior, and it goes without saying that you are not to mention Pokmon. Finish eating and get dressed properly."

Oh joy. The academy has always been this place I could go to if Mom finally decided it was time for me to be a normal kid, but I honestly could not care less about meeting new friends. So what's the point? It's just a way for her to do whatever it is she's doing without worrying about me. She may have found a way to distract me, but I'd be damned if it were that easy.