• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Favorite Generation 3 Memory?

op swellow

"The Elegant Master of Flying Pokémon"
Years
I have lots of good memories of this gen, my favorite one was using the hm dive and getting into those underwater caves and not knowing what to do. Im new btw haha

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I spent so much time on Emerald ... Loved that game to bits. I still remember my team, too, though that was back before I named and characterized everyone:
- Blaziken
- Mightyena/Gyrados (swapped them out periodically)
- Gardevoir
- Pikachu w/ Lightball
- Tropius
- Aggron

They were beasts, and I had gotten them all up to level 100 in a fairly reasonable amount of time.

I would have to say that my favorite Hoenn memories were the immersion in that region's storyline and world building, though. It was the most complex thing we had gotten at that point, and Emerald portrayed a conflicting gray agenda between two different factions where both were shown to be flawed but driven.

That and spending hours upon hours diving on the underwater routes and chilling to the music was nice, too.

Years
*Prof. Birch running in circles, being chased around by pokemon.

*Seeing the Hoenn starters for the first time. I must have stood there gaping for 15 minutes, letting that poor man run for his life indefinitely just because I could not make up my mind. They were all so cuuuute!

*Winning a contest for the first time.

*Finding the mirage tower in the middle of the desert.

*Watching Rayquaza come down from the sky and stop Groudon and Kyogre

*Double battles

*Wally. Such a sweet kid. It was the first time in game that I had somebody of my own to mentor.

*Seeing my patience pay off and encountering a Feebas when it was still rare, and running down the berry blending master, then stuffing my baby with gold pokeblocks until it became my first Milotic, Psyche.

*Steven Stone. He is my favorite champion. I love his sleek design as a character-- the steely grey blues, and I love all of his Pokemon from Skarmory to Metagross. He is champion who carries with him all of the class, wisdom, strength that a champion should have like Cynthia or Lance, but the first champion to be not just be an icon to look up to but become a close friend. The final battle with him in Meteor Falls in Emerald was a great conclusion to my Hoenn adventure.

Last edited:

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
Oh, thinking about my experiences with these games brings me back...

Getting a female Squirtle after resetting a few times. Named her Shelly and running though FireRed with her cemented my love for Squirtle.

Getting a female Eevee on my first try; resetting would have put me behind a fair bit, as I hadn't saved for a while, but was adamant on getting a girl.

Listening to the remixed Johto music while exploring the Sevii Isles. Made me smile on more then one occasion.

Just getting Sapphire and admiring the graphics on my first playthrough. My pre-teen mind was blown.

My lovely secret base in the bushes of Route 120, just passed the second bridge. Watching the clouds reflected on the water and listening to the lovely music before rushing off to my base was awesome.

Beating Wallace for the first time in Emerald felt like a major achievement, espeically that I needed to rework my team after anticipating Steven and planning for his crew.​

Also, just getting to link-cable battle with friends at school was amazing. My little Skitty managed to beat a Groudon (badly damaged, but still), which was one of my prouder battling moments. YOU DARE INSULT MEH PINK KITTEH? TAKE A BLAST OF ICE TO THE FACE!!!!!

Good times...

Last edited:
Years
I have so many fond memories of Gen 3. That was around the time in my life I had a group of people also into Pokemon so just all playing together is a fond memory in itself.

Also I didn't have all the guide books back then nor was I very good at knowing what to search for on the internet so little moments of discovery that I achieved with my own inclinations felt very rewarding.

Like Feebas APPARENTLY being located on route 119 but never showing up so I theorised on my own 'maybe it is only certain tiles?', so I decided to change tiles every time I fished and it finally appeared!

Also I wanted a Snorunt for the longest time but couldn't for the life of me figure out where it would be as no trainer had one for me to then have in the Pokedex to search with. I assumed it was probably in Shoal Cave but I wasn't aware of the changing tide and every time I went in it was high tide, finally I decided to go back on the off chance for a look and it was low tide so I decided to explore and when I got to the ice room I knew if it was anywhere in this region it had to be there. Not long after one of them appeared!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Probably encountering and catchin a shiny Carvanha in Ruby while searching for a Feebas....and then finding the Feebas and capturing it.

(I also caught a shiny Kecleon in Sapphire, but I lost the game cartridge it was on)

Last edited:
Years
Something I really enjoyed about Gen 3 was that I had a friendship group that also loved Pokemon as much as me at that time in my life so just playing around people at the same time made for a great experience.

Something else I really loved was finally figuring certain things out all on my own as at that time I didn't have guidebooks and wasn't the best at searching for detailed information on the internet about how to get exactly what I wanted. For example:

Feebas - The Pokedex was saying it was on route 119 so I fished, and fished and FISHED. Eventually I theorised all by myself that maybe Feebas was only fishable on certain individual tiles, so I switched my fishing method to fishing on a different tile every time and FINALLY my Feebas appeared. (Very rewarding feeling when your own inclinations are proven to be true)

Snorunt - I knew of this Pokemon's existence but couldn't for the life of me figure out where I could find one as no trainer in the game had one, therefore I couldn't search for it on the Pokedex. I was pretty sure if it was anywhere it would most likely be in Shoal Cave but unluckily every time I went there it was high tide so for the longest time I wasn't aware it changed. Eventually I did actually go back to try another search, and caught the low tide, explored, found the ice room, thought if Snorunt is anywhere in this region it has to be here, searched a little bit and one finally revealed itself.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Defeating Steven in Sapphire for the first time has always been a fond memory for me. I just remember it so clearly. It was one of the best champion battles I've ever had!

Last edited:
Years
Catching the regis in RSE. You have no idea the excitement I felt whenever I went in their respective caves...music gave me shivers and did a great job in making me feel I was encountering truly legendary Pokémon. And then, several attempts and 60 balls later, finally catching them was just so satisfying.

Also, restarting one of my RS copies constantly just to mix secret base records with my friend who was also restarting. <3 Ahhhh good times. RSE were amazing. FRLG too, but RSE truly were unforgettable.

Ultra Sun

Yes this is PC user Sun lol
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 29, 2022
Diving, fast frame rate, the summery Hoenn region, secret base, then-new Pokemon. They were definitely the part of best memories!

Years
More than likely, the first time I ever played in Gen 3 on Omega Ruby about two years ago.

Omega Ruby was my first Pokemon game. After my 12th birthday, I went to Walmart with my parents and got a 3ds and Pokemon Omega Ruby with my birthday money and some that I had already been saving. I was so excited! I went to my cousins house that night and played it all night; No sleep!

It was one of the best memories of my life probably. I even took a video with my 3ds of that time and I occasionally go back and look at it and feel so sad that I can't go back in time, but also grateful that I've been blessed with an amazing memory.

I'll never forget when I picked Treecko because of how cool he looked to me. And in that very same night, I battled the first six gyms before crashing at 7 AM.

I can't tell you how many times I've restarted the game because of how much I love Gen 3. It'll always be the best Gen in my opinion :smile:

Back