• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkViolet (Full Version Released)

Shiny Zard

Call me Iroh.:Zard Collector:
Years
This is looking greatt! But just wondering, but will EVERTHING from Red and blue be here? Cause that would be so sick xD

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I think Dragon Pulse and Flash Cannon should use different animations, but that's just me. And is it possible to import a custom Focus Blast background?

The hack looks really good. Keep it up :)
Dragon Pulse might change, but idk a better idea. Besides, in the Gen III games, lots of Dragon moves had fire effects. Also, Outrage has a new animation, it now has the blue flames background that my new Dragon-type moves have. As for Flash Cannon, the Signal Beam animation is the only move with red circles, so I chose that.

And I am not making anymore backgrounds, since it was a total pain in the rear to add the backgrounds. I had to first repoint and expand the background table, then insert custom graphics & tilemaps into free space, then manually point to that free space with a hex editor.

On the bright side, I'm open for new animation ideas that don't involve new backgrounds, since it's really easy to make a new animation. It's a separate table, that PGE supports, so all I have to do to make a new animation is to change the animation offset for whatever attack with PGE.

This is looking greatt! But just wondering, but will EVERTHING from Red and blue be here? Cause that would be so sick xD
Care to elaborate on what you mean by "EVERYTHING from Red and blue"? Yeah, I've said this will be very different from FR/LG, but this is still a Kanto game, and this is still a remake of the original games. "EVERYTHING" will be there, even though I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I'm not removing anything.

except I'm removing Poke Marts and merging them with Pokemon Centers like in the Unova games, lol

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2015
I am doing all of the custom music myself, as I know a lot about music (I'm 1st chair Clarinet in my high school's band, I also play saxophone, and I also sing, and I am in my school's top choir).

A lot of the songs will just be GBA-ified versions of HG/SS songs (thanks to Jambo51's 12 direct sound hack). Rather than using HG/SS instruments, I'm still limiting myself to R/S/E/FR/LG instruments, because I am keeping a couple songs from the original FireRed ROM completely unchanged (such as Celadon City).

Several songs will be key-adjusted versions of their FR/LG versions, because in FR/LG they changed the keys of a lot of remixes. I want the songs to be heard in the original key that they were composed in during the 1st Generation games. For instance, in R/G/B/Y, the Vermilion City theme is in the key of A. In FR/LG, they changed it to the key of D and made it sound dumb, so I'm going to change it back to the key of A. Because I have perfect pitch (this is why I can identify key signatures so easily), this is really easy for me to do.

Some FR/LG still sound stupid no matter what key I change it to, such as the FR/LG battle theme, so I'll be composing a new R/S/E-style remix for that.

And finally, R/S/E has my favorite soundtrack. I've ported the Poke Mart theme, the "Follow Me!" theme, and the Hall of Fame room theme from R/S/E, and unlike lots of FireRed hacks, I've made it so that it sounds exactly like it does in R/S/E. I've seen FireRed hacks where people try and port songs from R/S/E and make it fit with FireRed voicegroups, which is just bad. I've ported all of the missing drum samples straight from Emerald into my FireRed ROM, and I actually make new voicegroups rather than re-using ones already in the game.

Ok, sounds good. I understand completely. Being a music guy myself (played piano for a while) I see what your trying to do. Good luck with the music. (Glad your using the follow me for the mart. don't know why, I love the sound of that) The animations are also great as well. I didn't realize you were going to do all the new moves. And I didn't know scald was in hgss (from previous tm comment). Will the tms not "break" after use? and will we be able to buy all tms? Will signal beam still be a move?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Ok, sounds good. I understand completely. Being a music guy myself (played piano for a while) I see what your trying to do. Good luck with the music. (Glad your using the follow me for the mart. don't know why, I love the sound of that) The animations are also great as well. I didn't realize you were going to do all the new moves. And I didn't know scald was in hgss (from previous tm comment). Will the tms not "break" after use? and will we be able to buy all tms? Will signal beam still be a move?
I think you misread what I said a little. I said that I ported the Mart theme from Emerald, and I also ported the Follow Me theme from Emerald. The Follow Me theme is NOT the mart theme. The R/S/E Mart theme will be used in the Celadon City department store, since I'm merging Pokemon Centers and Poke Marts.

If you read the first post, I said that I'm not adding all Gen IV and V moves. I added 113 new moves, most from Gen IV, some from Gen V, and some custom moves. Scald was never in HG/SS, it's a Gen V move, and it's also a move that is one of the 113 added moves in DarkViolet.

From the first post:
*113 new moves added. Over half of them are Gen IV moves, a few Gen V moves, and a few custom moves. No old moves were replaced, thus there is now a total of 467 moves. At the time of posting this thread, I have spent the past two months working on a ROM base that contains these added moves, which this hack is based off of

And yes, Signal Beam is still a move. No moves were deleted.

Last edited:

kebbles

Rom Hacker.
Years
The hack is turning out to be my favourite on here, I love all the music you have inserted and from the sounds of things you really know what your doing because the music is really good quality work.
The battle boxes are really awesome, they match everything really nice,
One question though, will Cinnabar Volcano have erupted in your timeline seeing your using the HG/SS Kanto maps?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
The hack is turning out to be my favourite on here, I love all the music you have inserted and from the sounds of things you really know what your doing because the music is really good quality work.
The battle boxes are really awesome, they match everything really nice,
One question though, will Cinnabar Volcano have erupted in your timeline seeing your using the HG/SS Kanto maps?
This hack takes place before the volcano erupted. Therefore, Cinnabar Island will be present in all of its 1st Gen glory, with the lab, the burned mansion, the Gym, and all that. The shape of the island will be the same as in HG/SS however, I'm going to try and make it look like what the HG/SS Cinnabar Island was 3 years ago.

Also guys, keep in mind that even though my maps are heavily based off of HG/SS layouts, there will still be some changes. This hack is not being designed as a new HG/SS prequel, this hack is an entirely separate canon from the official games. This hack is part of a planned series that I call, "The Pokémon Saga". Even though it's unrealistic that I will finish the series in its entirety, I'm going to work on my hacks with the assumption that they'll all be finished. That being said, the sequel to Pokémon DarkViolet will be called Pokémon DarkCrystal, and it will basically be a G/S/C/HG/SS remake, but taking place within the Pokémon Saga timeline, meaning that it will acknowledge events from Pokémon DarkViolet, rather than the official games. As for what that has to do with Cinnabar Island, in the planned sequel to this hack, Pokémon DarkCrystal, Cinnabar will have erupted by then.

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2015
I think you misread what I said a little. I said that I ported the Mart theme from Emerald, and I also ported the Follow Me theme from Emerald. The Follow Me theme is NOT the mart theme. The R/S/E Mart theme will be used in the Celadon City department store, since I'm merging Pokemon Centers and Poke Marts.

If you read the first post, I said that I'm not adding all Gen IV and V moves. I added 113 new moves, most from Gen IV, some from Gen V, and some custom moves. Scald was never in HG/SS, it's a Gen V move, and it's also a move that is one of the 113 added moves in DarkViolet.

From the first post:

And yes, Signal Beam is still a move. No moves were deleted.
Yea, I didn't see the comma in the post. I did read the first post, just not as in depth. The music choice is fine, since it's your decision. Will you be releasing custom moves in screenshots?

UtopiaRay

Pokemon Champion
Years
This is really awesome! A Kanto remake and the graphics are completely amazing i look forward to playing this!

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
Yea, I didn't see the comma in the post. I did read the first post, just not as in depth. The music choice is fine, since it's your decision. Will you be releasing custom moves in screenshots?

He already released two custom moves in the first posts, Draco Bullet and Wind Shatter I think :P

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
He already released two custom moves in the first posts, Draco Bullet and Wind Shatter I think :P
Here are all the moves added to the game:
Spoiler:

* = this move will not be available in DarkViolet because the Pokemon it can be learned by will not be in DarkViolet. However, the move will be available in planned DarkViolet sidequel & sequels.

bold = new custom move that is not in the Gen IV or V games

Yes, this means that there are a few moves programmed in DarkViolet that you won't even get to see. This is because the first thing I did is make a ROM base that has all these added moves. Future Pokemon Saga games will use the same ROM base, and thus the same moveset. (but if I ever figure out how to extend the Metronome limit to include the new moves, then you could theoretically see a move that is programmed, but no Pokemon will learn within DarkViolet)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
This is my favorite hack, by the way.

You seem to have but in a lot more effort than any other hacker I've seen, in such short time too, You've restarted a couple times, but the game still looks amazing when you restart.

Honestly can't wait for their to be a new release for this, no matter how short or long it maybe.

27.png

^ is that an R/S/E version of the male Ace Trainer, or is it a new NPC?
Either way it looks good.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Wow, this looks fun! + I loved how you've added Blue (Girl) to the game! Good luck with the hack!

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
Dragon Pulse might change, but idk a better idea. Besides, in the Gen III games, lots of Dragon moves had fire effects. Also, Outrage has a new animation, it now has the blue flames background that my new Dragon-type moves have. As for Flash Cannon, the Signal Beam animation is the only move with red circles, so I chose that.
lol[/s]

maybe have it instead of loading the red fire sprites, have it load the blue fires from Will-O-Wisp's end animation?

(and perhaps have Flash cannon load the rings from Dragon Dance instead of the dots?)

Gravyty 0

Pokemon physicist
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 29, 2013
You think to do with the 176 spaces of other generations , new 1 genrations pokemon evolution like a full power metwo with a final power up atack

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
maybe have it instead of loading the red fire sprites, have it load the blue fires from Will-O-Wisp's end animation?

(and perhaps have Flash cannon load the rings from Dragon Dance instead of the dots?)
It's not quite that simple. Usually if you try and change the graphics that it loads with an animation that doesn't use that set of graphics, it will just show up as black blocks flying around.

You think to do with the 176 spaces of other generations , new 1 genrations pokemon evolution like a full power metwo with a final power up atack
No, just, no...

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2012
:O nice, cant wait for alpha and try new moves, btw, r u going to put double-battles from different trainers as in Emerald? that'd be cool :)

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
I'm assuming the move "Water Drain" is a water type Giga Drain?

If so, wouldn't calling it "Osmosis" make more flavor sense?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
:O nice, cant wait for alpha and try new moves, btw, r u going to put double-battles from different trainers as in Emerald? that'd be cool :)
No because that would require ASM beyond my level

I'm assuming the move "Water Drain" is a water type Giga Drain?

If so, wouldn't calling it "Osmosis" make more flavor sense?
That's a good idea, I'm changing it right now and adding you to the credits.

EDIT: Here's what it looks like btw:
2rc0p47.png

(and no, Pidgey will not be able to learn Osmosis)

Last edited:

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
heh, the absorb energy spheres actually look kinda nice on that raging water backdrop.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
heh, the absorb energy spheres actually look kinda nice on that raging water backdrop.
Actually, Osmosis's animation is just a modified version of the Leech Life animation, since the Absorb animation makes the screen have a green tint :D

Also, I have run into my first glitch:
1-2.png

Everything looks normal, yep?

2-1.png

Ewwww. This is a side-effect of me using NintendoBoyDX's hack of having the R/S/E Tileset System on FireRed. What's happening is that when it loads the Pokemart function, it apparently loads the tiles in FireRed style rather than R/S/E style, which screws up the graphics because of me having the R/S/E tileset system, while the Pokemart function thinks I still have the FireRed system. Everything goes back to normal when you exit the Pokemart menu, though.

If anyone has any idea on how to fix this, I will love you forever and give you three internets

Back