• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help planning competitive team

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
OK, so I recently just got a wireless router and an FC for the first time. Through some random battles, I realized my team needs a revamp for competitive play. Here is my old team:
Spoiler:

And here are my planned replacements for certain members. These will not go in a spoiler.

Replacing Floatzel:
Starmie
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Replacing Braviary:
Togekiss
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball
- SolarBeam/Magical Leaf (Suggestions?)

Replacing Haxorus:
Aggron
Ability: Rock Head
- Head Smash
- Dragon Claw
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Replacing Jynx:
I have no idea here. Please make suggestions.

For what I have left blank, please suggest. Suggestions for items would be appreciated. As far as EVs, I think for the most part it's kind of self-explanatory who to train for which EVs. All criticism is welcome as long as it isn't rude.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hi there! I'm glad you've come back with some new ideas for your team. :)

There's just a few things I want to mention before going on. I know you mentioned that the EV spreads for your Pokemon are self explanatory, but the raters here really like to see them so we can give you better rates. Like with Togekiss, for example. There's a big difference between the "Defensive Nasty Plot" (252 HP / 36 Special Attack / 220 Speed) set, the "Offensive Nasty Plot" (192 HP / 80 Special Attack / 236 Speed)set, and the "Paralysis Abuse" (252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Special Defense) set. In most cases, the EVs (and Natures and Items) assist the raters in identifying exactly how you want to play your Pokemon in battle. The same thing applies with the Natures and Items. Again, with Togekiss, the raters would like to know if you plan on using Choice Specs or something to that extent, in which case, Nasty Plot would be very counterproductive. We really like to see these things (no matter how obvious they may be) to make sure you get the best advice from us you can. Adding that information would be really helpful for us, so we're not rating your Pokemon solely based on what they are and their move sets.

I would also like to say that you shouldn't replace Haxorus with Aggron. While Aggron has a stellar 180 base Defense and an awesome 110 base Attack, the rest of its stats aren't very good. On top of that, Aggron has poor defensive typing with two x4 weaknesses and a severe lack of special bulk, making it particularly weak against it's common threats. Haxorus, I believe, will do everything you expect Aggron to do and stay in battle long enough to do it.

I'll be back to finish this rate later. Best of luck to you! :3

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
OK, have not replaced Haxorus. Also, I have thought of a possible replacement for Jynx:

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball/Iron Head (Thinking Gyro Ball to make the best of low speed)
- Payback (Again, taking advantage of low speed)
- Poison Jab (Good against other Grass-types, have no other Poison-type moves in my team)
Obviously, Ferrothorn will be EV trained primarily for Defense and Special Defense, and will probably get some attention in Attack as well, being a physical attacker.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
OK, have not replaced Haxorus. Also, I have thought of a possible replacement for Jynx:

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball/Iron Head (Thinking Gyro Ball to make the best of low speed)
- Payback (Again, taking advantage of low speed)
- Poison Jab (Good against other Grass-types, have no other Poison-type moves in my team)
Obviously, Ferrothorn will be EV trained primarily for Defense and Special Defense, and will probably get some attention in Attack as well, being a physical attacker.

Poison Jab offers no coverage whatsoever. Gyro Ball hypothetically does more to Grass Pokemon than Poison Jab would. Same goes for Payback. You might have to do some breeding for this one:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Protect
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

Togekiss can annoy opponents with its paraflinch combination:
-Thunder Wave
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere/Flamethrower
-Morning Sun (if you want Roost, you have to transfer from Gen IV; you can still breed for Morning Sun in Gen V)
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace

Simply put, Aggron needs some tweaking:
-Rock Polish/Autotomize (to fix its low Speed)
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Iron Tail/Iron Head (for more reliable secondary STAB, since Heavy Slam doesn't hit that hard if you're up against something heavy)
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head

It's not a bad idea to provide natures and EVs for the team too.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Following up with the rate. :3

Starmie
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
As I mentioned before, without all the information it's a little hard to identify exactly what you want to do with Starmie. So, when I see "all attacks" I can't help but to feel like you're using a Choice Item (Scarf, presumably). If that is the case, than your set needs a few small adjustments.

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Natural Cure
4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Timid [+Speed; -Attack] / Modest [+Special Attack; -Attack]
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick / Psyshock

As you can see, the set is more or less exactly what you've been using. Hydro Pump / Surf are your primary STAB options while Ice Beam and Thunderbolt combine to devastate opponents with vast coverage and the "BoltBeam" combo. The last move slot has been tweaked, however, to help you cripple things like Blissey and Ferrothorn with Trick. Or Psyshock which, again messes up special walls like Blissey (2HKO with entry hazards). It should also be said though, being locked in Psyshock makes Starmie setup fodder for things like Scizor.

My suggestions for you Starmie comes from the clues you've given us. So, if you do not plan on using Choice Specs on your Starmie, than Rapid Spin or Recover should always be considered.

612.gif

Ability: Rivalry
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Outrage

Swords Dance Haxorus can sweep teams like it's nothing if given the opportunity. And I think you have the right idea in mind here. I do have a few suggestions on different moves though. While Rock Slide and X-Scissor are very good, very powerful moves, they are a little lost on a Haxorus that isn't running a Choice Item. That being the case, I suggest a small change in moves.

Haxorus @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Mold Breaker / Rivalry
36 HP / 252 Attack / 220 Speed
Adamant [+Attack; -Special Attack] / Jolly [+Speed; -Special Attack]
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Outrage

This specific combination of attacks gives Haxorus perfect coverage (save Shedina). And after a Swords Dance boost, Outrage will 2HKO almost everything. Brick Break will 2HKO Ferrothorn with +2, and Earthquake will hit Steel types and Levitating Steel types alike (besides Skarmory) if you use Mold Breaker.

604.gif

Ability: Levitate
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Eelektross is a rather strange creature. The Special Attacking set is more or less reserved for UU threats, while Eelektross actually functions well as a Mixed Attacker in the OU tier. There are also viable Acid Spray and Physical / Mixed Coil sets, but this I feel is more organic to your original idea.

Eelektross @ Life Orb
Levitate
252 Attack / 212 Special Attack / 44 Speed
Naughty [+Attack; -Special Defense] / Rash [+Special Attack; -Special Defense]
- Wild Charge / Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Claw / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot / Brick Break

The best way to play Eelektross is to make it as unpredictable (and different) as possible compared to other faster Electric type in the OU tier. Eelektross has two STAB options, Wild Charge and Thunderbolt. While Eelektross' Special Attack is higher, Wild Charge is the preferred attack to hit Blissey, avoid having to run Brick Break which ultimately lessens Eelektoss' coverage, and hitting Tyranitar. Flamethrower helps Eelektross deal with Ferrothorn and covers other Steel types like Scizor and Forretress which is useful if your running Wild Charge. The best way to deal with Dragons (that resist Electric and Fire) is to run with Dragon Claw or HP [Ice]. HP [Ice] will 2HKO Haxorus and Hydreigon and deal suitable damage to bulkier Dragons and Ground types if you don't run Grass Knot. Alternatively, Dragon Claw is guaranteed to OHKO Haxorus / Hydreigon but not the latter. Finally, Brick Break is used exclusively for Blissey / Tyranitar / Snorlax while Grass Knot will deal with everything that resists Electric type attacks, especially things like Quagsire.

124.gif

Ability: Forewarn
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
You have a few options to replace Jynx with. Personally, I rather like the idea of Ferrothorn because your entire team takes neutral damage from Poison type attacks. So, Ferrothorn will solve that problem (along with many other useful resistances). However, if you want to stick with an Ice type Pokemon, let us know and we'll try to make some practical decisions about it.

I hope this was helpful! Please try to include the Items/Natures/EV Spread whenever it's convenient for you. Good luck! :D

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
I'm looking at the "Choice" items on Bulbapedia. What exactly does it mean by you can only use one move? Does it mean you can only use the same move repeatedly until you switch out?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm looking at the "Choice" items on Bulbapedia. What exactly does it mean by you can only use one move? Does it mean you can only use the same move repeatedly until you switch out?
Pretty much. You could however use the Life Orb, which gives you a little less of a boost (by 20%) in terms of attack (for the choice band/scarf) but you'll lose 10% HP in the process, it's pretty much the best alternative to choice items there is (though choiced items are better@power, despite being locked into one attack). :x

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

Pretty much. You could however use the Life Orb, which gives you a little less of a boost (by 20%) in terms of attack (for the choice band/scarf) but you'll lose 10% HP in the process, it's pretty much the best alternative to choice items there is (though choiced items are better, despite being locked into one attack). :x

Choiced items aren't necessarily better. It depends on the set.

Yes, Choice Scarf/Specs/Band lock you into one move, but with a free +1 boost to Speed/Special Attack/Attack respectively. Some Pokemon can use Choice items very effectively, such as Terrakion (both Scarf and Band sets are very good) and Rotom-W (Scarf and Specs). Choice items are also especially useful on users of Switcheroo or Trick; for example, Rotom-W can use Trick very well to force a Choice item onto a common switch-in to cripple them, usually a bulky Grass-type like Celebi or a special wall like Chansey.

But on the same token, some Pokemon absolutely adore their coverage and definitely would prefer Life Orb. There are also some abilities (Magic Guard, Sheer Force) that can negate the extra 10% that LO users usually pay, so Life Orb is a great option on those Pokemon.

It really differs from set to set and depending on your preference, but Choice items are indeed very useful and very good in the metagame. Sometimes other items are better, but Choice items are cool for the instant boost in power/speed which can help make or break a check/counter.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
OK, a note for everyone here: Natures are something I have NEVER given any thought to. And, with the progress I've made with my EV training so far, I don't want to start over. So, I'm just gonna forget about those for this team. I'll pay attention to them next time I build a team, like when I get Black (this team is for White), but for right now I won't worry about them.

Also, I notice nobody made suggestions for Emboar. I'll just post his moveset so you don't have to scroll back up:

- Earthquake
- Wild Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Hammer Arm

I already have him fully EV-trained in Attack. I also plan to EV train him for HP to make up for the two recoil moves. If there are any tweaks to his moveset and EVs, please suggest. Also, an item suggestion would also be appreciated.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
OK, a note for everyone here: Natures are something I have NEVER given any thought to. And, with the progress I've made with my EV training so far, I don't want to start over. So, I'm just gonna forget about those for this team. I'll pay attention to them next time I build a team, like when I get Black (this team is for White), but for right now I won't worry about them.

Also, I notice nobody made suggestions for Emboar. I'll just post his moveset so you don't have to scroll back up:

- Earthquake
- Wild Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Hammer Arm

I already have him fully EV-trained in Attack. I also plan to EV train him for HP to make up for the two recoil moves. If there are any tweaks to his moveset and EVs, please suggest. Also, an item suggestion would also be appreciated.

For Emboar, you'll want to have Stone Edge in there so you have a viable way of dealing with Pokemon that resist Fire and aren't that effected by Electric type attacks. Plus, you'll be hitting Flying types (like Salamence) for super effective damage.

Hammer Arm is a good move if you don't mind losing the Speed (which, with 177, who would?) but Superpower can be equally as scary to opponents if you don't plan on keeping Emboar in for long. With Superpower, you'd have to switch after each time you use it, in my opinion.

Also, Emboar can make pretty good use of Assurance, hitting opponents switching in especially hard with entry hazards set up. Bulk Up can be considered (as long as you're not using a Choice Item), but it's really only the Attack boost you'd be after. That can be substituted with a Life Orb, but with two moves dealing recoil, it kind of defeats the purpose. To get the best from Emboar, you're better off with Reckless as an ability.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

- Earthquake
- Wild Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Hammer Arm

For Emboar, you'll want to have Stone Edge in there so you have a viable way of dealing with Pokemon that resist Fire and aren't that effected by Electric type attacks. Plus, you'll be hitting Flying types (like Salamence) for super effective damage.

Hammer Arm is a good move if you don't mind losing the Speed (which, with 177, who would?) but Superpower can be equally as scary to opponents if you don't plan on keeping Emboar in for long. With Superpower, you'd have to switch after each time you use it, in my opinion.

Also, Emboar can make pretty good use of Assurance, hitting opponents switching in especially hard with entry hazards set up. Bulk Up can be considered (as long as you're not using a Choice Item), but it's really only the Attack boost you'd be after. That can be substituted with a Life Orb, but with two moves dealing recoil, it kind of defeats the purpose. To get the best from Emboar, you're better off with Reckless as an ability.

It takes prediction to use Assurance effectively, so it's useless under normal circumstances. Also, Reckless Emboar hasn't been released yet.

I guess this Emboar set could help:
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower/Hammer Arm
-Wild Charge
-Earthquake/Head Smash
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 212 HP/252 Atk/44 Spe
Item: Choice Band

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
It takes prediction to use Assurance effectively, so it's useless under normal circumstances. Also, Reckless Emboar hasn't been released yet.

I guess this Emboar set could help:
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower/Hammer Arm
-Wild Charge
-Earthquake/Head Smash
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 212 HP/252 Atk/44 Spe
Item: Choice Band

Yeah, I guess I didn't make that very clear. u_u;

Back