• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters

loucas

100% hot
Years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil

am i too late for the fact that maybe they were based on the creatures of the yggdrasil?

i was in Team Xerneas in the video, but when the Official art were released, Yveltal kinda shine more, it has this great impact on me, the looks, and the name, spell O-ZOM.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2016
I happen to like Xerneas and my brother likes yveltal so i will more then likely get both besides Xerneas is the X pokemon if you look at its eyes in the trailer they have an X in them

Chaos Fork

Anything Goes
Years
I really, REALLY don't want yveltal to b part fire.
They also got new sizes and weight. Yveltal is friggen HUGE, but xerneas is... still...heavier?

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
After some considering, I believe that it's a given that Yveltal will at least be part Flying type due to, well, the fact that it flies, as well as that article relating it to the bird atop the Yggdrasil tree, Xerneas' type though I am still not very sure about, but if it incorporates grass then it'd be at a disadvantage to Yveltal unless they both had secondary types that cancelled each other out.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Perhaps Xerneas' weight being more heavy than Yveltal ─ which is proven to be larger ─ is a clue that Xerneas is in fact part Steel? Just throwing it out there.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Anyone having any success in Decoding their Names ? The "Tree of Life" thingy isn't helping a lot.
Bulbapedia has something regarding a Celtic God for Xerneas but isn't he based on Norse mythology ?
Bulbapedia also has a possible origin being Greek. The Ceryneian Hind, another mythological deer with golden antlers and hooves of brass. Which is a real good possibility for an origin given what Xerneas looks like.

Right now, it's difficult to say what they're based on, since we don't know much of anything about them or the region. (Yveltal could possibly be based on a South American bird, the quetzal.) It could be just Norse mythology or a mix of things, with Celtic, Greek, Norse and other various mythologies coming together for a fun mix of stories.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
The Norse myth is very fascinating, and I wouldn't be surprised if the legendaries got some of their inspiration from it. But I'm hoping that if that's the case and our "Z Pokémon" is the serpentine creature that it won't be another Dragon @@; Poison, sure, but not Dragon for me.

Also, I just realized that Ylveltal is trying to copy Lugia's invisible cheeseburger hand-wings. I wonder if his wing-tail-hand will be necessary to finish eating it? x3 I kid, I kid! But I do think their poses are a bit similar and I think it's kind of cute.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 13, 2021
I love both Xerneas and Yveltal's design very much. I may like Yveltal a tad more because of the colour combination and how it gives off an evil feel (I'm a fan of that kind of thing).

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
The design for Yveltal looks amazing. Much better than Xerneas imo. I don't like it as much as Zekrom or Reshiram (at least not yet), but it definitely is enough to make me choose Pokémon Y over Pokémon X.

I think Yveltal is most probably going to be a Dragon type or Flying type, possibly even a Dark type. Xerneas I think might be Electric because of its antlers, which look a little like Christmas lights. That'd be unique. I think the last Electric legendary we had was Zapdos, unless I'm forgetting one.

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot Raikou and Zekrom. Oh well, I still stand by my statement. Out of 47 Legendary Pokémon, only 3 that I could think of were Electric-type. Meanwhile, the Legendaries are just brimming with Psychic types, Dragon types, and even Steel types.

Last edited:

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
Years
No more Dragon Legends!

Dont know about you guys but i have seen a lot of repetition for the legendary's. not saying the other ones sucked but its nice to have a bit of a change

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
This is my official prediction in what each of their types is going to be:

Xerneas: Electric/Dark (the rainbow lights on its antlers point to Electric, while the color scheme for the rest of its body makes me think Dark). However it could also be just plain Electric, Electric/Grass (as we saw it in a forest and its a deer), or even Electric/Ice (as it reminds me of a reindeer, especially with those Christmas light antlers)

Yveltal: Dragon/Fighting (its obviously inspired by a dragon of some sort and I event saw somewhere that its name could come from Wyvern). The Fighting subtype is a guess based on the fact that its wings and tail have giant finger-like protrusions that could roll up into fists and pack one hell of a punch. However, it could also be a Dark type judging by the overall dark color scheme.

XD00J

The "God of Chaos & Darkness."
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2018
I want the vulture guy! He looks cool! My friend wanted X Version but did not want the deer. Oh,well.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
Xerneas just looks bad

Like Arceus mated Dialga with a Stanler

Their names are ridiculous, but the Flying one looks much better

Years
This might sound kinda crazy, but could it be possible that they might try to do a three type system this time around. I mean a huge shot in the dark, but I mean, alot of the characteristics of both legendaries sort of point to having more than 2 types.

Although...that's highly unlikely, but here would be my theory

Xerneas: Psychic/Steel/Grass or Electric/Steel/Grass
Yveltal: Posion/Flying/Dark Fire/Flying/Dark

It would obviously turn the game mechanics on it's head, but it would be pretty wild.

Guy

just a guy
Years
This might sound kinda crazy, but could it be possible that they might try to do a three type system this time around. I mean a huge shot in the dark, but I mean, alot of the characteristics of both legendaries sort of point to having more than 2 types.

Although...that's highly unlikely, but here would be my theory

Xerneas: Psychic/Steel/Grass or Electric/Steel/Grass
Yveltal: Posion/Flying/Dark Fire/Flying/Dark

It would obviously turn the game mechanics on it's head, but it would be pretty wild.
The same could be said for quite a few Pokémon that we're already familiar with to be honest. The problem with giving any Pokémon a third type, even a legendary, is that not only does it complicate the type system and mechanics, but it'll increase the number of weaknesses a Pokémon may have as well as increase the calculated damage to 8x or more depending on which types you put together. I wouldn't want these two to have that type of disadvantage.

I'd never dismiss the idea of triple types entirely, because sometimes you just can't predict what GameFreak might do next, but I think to bring it in now would make things a bit too much of a mess. To besides, I don't think it's really needed when we haven't completed all the possible type combinations yet.

That's something I wouldn't mind with Xerneas and Yveltal, is if they're given a type combo that hasn't been done yet. Although, it's hard to say which, especially for Yveltal, which could easily turn out to be a Fire/Flying, Dark/Flying, or possibly Dark/Fire.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Something I'm just now noticing...Yveltal has a fluffy collar around his lower neck, a collar very similar to that of condor, vulture, and buzzards. So...I can't see him as an eagle as he's speculated to be. Even his beak seem similar to those three.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Something I'm just now noticing...Yveltal has a fluffy collar around his lower neck, a collar very similar to that of condor, vulture, and buzzards. So...I can't see him as an eagle as he's speculated to be. Even his beak seem similar to those three.

Yeah I didn't see the eagle thing either even though I believed the theory. However Yvetal does look like an eagle, especially with its Sugimori art.

Back