• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Equivalent Exchange! Fullmetal Alchemist Club

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
FULLMETAL
ALCHEMIST
Introduction
Welcome to PC's fanclub about Fullmetal Alchemist, which is a series that began as a manga written by Hiromu Arakawa. The manga's success brought about many adaptions and spin-off material. The 2003 anime series, Fullmetal Alchemist, is loosely adapted from the manga while the 2009 series, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, is directly adapted from the manga. The general synopsis is:

"In this world there exist alchemists, people who study and perform the art of alchemical transmutation—to manipulate objects and transform one object into another. They are bounded by the basic law of alchemy: in order to gain something you have to sacrifice something of the same value.

The main character is the famous alchemist Edward Elric—also known as the Fullmetal Alchemist—who almost lost his little brother, Alphonse, in an alchemical accident. Edward managed to attach his brother's soul to a large suit of armor. While he did manage to save his brother's life, he paid the terrible price of his limbs.

To get back what they've lost, the brothers embark on a journey to find the Philosopher's Stone that is said to amplify the powers of an alchemist enormously. However on the way, they start uncovering a conspiracy that could endanger the entire nation, and they realize the misfortunes brought upon by the Philosopher's Stone."

Source: MyAnimeList

Guidelines
1. All PokéCommunity and Fan Clubs & Groups rules apply.
2. Be courteous and polite to all club members.
3. Try to participate in discussion! Anyone can post a new topic if the current discussion has slowed down.
4. Please make thorough posts. Don't simply say "this show is cool" but elaborate why.
5. Kindly use spoiler tags for huge plot details and endings.
6. Don't link to unofficial sites containing full episodes/scans here.
7. Have fun and enjoy getting to know fellow FMA fans.

Sign-Up
Username:
Favorite character(s):
Answer a topic:

Members List
Owner: Lilith [TwilightBlade]
Co-Owner: Sheep [Cirno]
Olli
Stiles. [Toshiro.]
Solace [Minzy]
Altairis [Lapras*]
Jellicent♀
Regeneration
KriegStein
Oxidation [Yuki's Sword]
Artificial-Insanity
Dangelitus
.Aero
Pokedra
コナンくん
thefallendetective
«Chuckles» [ChucklesLucifer]
ChocoboCam
SinfulGuroRose
ElectricPikachu
Full Metal
Bruce Banner
Hughes
Orogenes
ACupOfTea
isthatyoudan
Orpheus
Aisu
Aslan
Sonata

Discussion Topics
Topics are listed from most recent to less recent. Anyone can start a new topic once the current one has quieted down. New members, feel free to answer any past topics that interest you when signing up!
▪ We all have characters we dislike, be it a little or a lot - who is your least favorite character in FMA and why?
▪ Are there any characters you wanted to get more screentime/to see more of, be it in the original Fullmetal Alchemist or Brotherhood? Why?
▪ Have you read the FMA manga? If so, did you read it through until the end or was the anime your preference?
▪ What character do you have the most in common with?
▪ If you were a state alchemist, what would you want your code name to be?
▪ Fullmetal Alchemist has two movies: "Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa" and "Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos." The first film follows the original series while the latter was set within Brotherhood, the second series', timeline. Have you seen either of these movies? What did you think of them?
▪ Do you have any favorite quotes?
▪ Does anyone here have any merchandise, like plushies, figurines, DVDs, etc?
▪ How/when did you get into the FMA series? What are your overall thoughts on the manga/anime?

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Username: Cirno
Favorite character(s): Roy Mustang & Envy (but they're all amazing)
▪ How/when did you get into the FMA series? What are your overall thoughts on the manga/anime?: I got into the series after watching some episodes waaay back in... seventh grade, I'll say? Maybe sixth? It was breathtaking and the music was even more amazing. Ready, Steady, Go was my favorite song for a while and is still high up there in my top five. I was so hyped when I found out FMA was being remade as Brotherhood and have watched the series about two-three times since (and am rewatching again now, actually). The story is so engaging and you can really feel for all the characters.. including the antagonists.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Username: Olli97
Favorite character(s): Roy Mustang and Von Hohenheim.
Answer a topic: I started watching it about 2 years ago, but I don't actually remember how I found it. I seem to recall actually watching the first episode beforehand and finding it boring, only to return to it at some point, where I was hooked for days, marathon-ing my way through the first series, in which I honestly was slightly disappointed with the ending. Anyways, after being bummed for a while, since it was one of the most entertaining animes I'd watched in a while, I learned about Brotherhood, and while it at first simply appeared to be a remake, I resumed the marathon-ing, and I grew to like it so much more than the first one. I felt like it added depth to some characters that really needed it (and some that didn't :p), and I just felt like everything had been improved.

Admittedly, I haven't watched a single episode of either since I finished Brotherhood, so I guess I'd need to re-watch it all, so that I can answer the future topics properly :D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Count me in! :D

Username: Toshiro.
Favorite character(s): Edward Elric, Envy, Lust, Gluttony, and Roy Mustang.
Answer a topic: I got into the series by first watching the 2004 anime series. I first saw an episode of the show on Adult Swim (it might of been on Toonami back then? Not sure). Anyway, after catching an episode on TV, I instantly got hooked and started to watch the full series on my laptop. I eventually purchased the whole series on DVD, because after about 30 episodes I had trouble locating the rest online. So I figured I would just buy the DVDs. Once I finished, I was bummed, not because I didn't like the way it ended, but because there were no more episodes to watch! Eventually I figured out that the manga was different from the anime series, and so I then proceeded to get hooked on that. Annnd then eventually the news of Brotherhood broke and I instantly got excited and watched that whole series :3 Overall, FMA is just one of the best anime/manga series out there. The storylines and characters are just amazing!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Username: Antemortem
Favorite character(s): Edward Elric / Roy Mustang / Envy / Riza Hawkeye
Answer a topic: A few years ago, I believe the original series was being shown on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block right before Inuyasha and since I liked watching Inuyasha sometimes, I let Fullmetal Alchemist play before it and I ended up liking it. The characters and story, albeit not as enveloping as Brotherhood, were deeply involving and relatable in a lot of ways. Edward's quirks, such as his Little Man's Complex, are cute, too. :P

TwilightBlade

Years
Welcome, folks!

Favorite characters: Edward, Ling, Lust, and Greed

How/when did you get into the FMA series? What are your overall thoughts on the manga/anime?
I started watching FMA on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim back in 2004 or so, whenever the dub aired. The first episode I watched was likely the first one; Rose with her pink highlights sticks out in my mind. I really liked the Elric brothers and Lust, but I didn't get past episode 25. I actually only recently completed both anime versions, and I'm glad I gave FMA a thorough watch. I didn't quite like the plot in the first series, though I do like how they portrayed the Homunculus and their origins. I'm glad I watched Brotherhood next, which has the superior animation. Really good story and character development; I liked the inclusion of the Xingese rivalry and the arc in the snowy area.

I started reading a few chapters at a time in the manga, just to compare that to Brotherhood. However, my memory is fading, so I'll have to watch this for the second time. Looks like we have some watching buddies, too! :D

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Username: Lapras*
Favorite character(s): Edward, Roy, Winry idk don't make me pickkk
How/when did you get into the FMA series? What are your overall thoughts on the manga/anime?
I started to watch the series because I was so tired of seeing it everywhere and not having seen it. I wasn't sure which one to start with so I just powered through the 2003 one and then I'm about halfway through Brotherhood!! I won't be able to stop myself now >.>

I really liked the first half of FMA > FMAB obviously because they rushed through it the second time, but I feel like there were some big holes in FMA and I just like FMAB a lot better overall. I haven't actually read the manga though!!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Username: Jellicent♀

Favorite character(s): Olivier Mira Armstrong, Ed, Al, Wrath, Envy, Lust,

Oh god. I was decently young when the first series ended, and then a little older when i discovered Brotherhood, but overall, I thought it was all amazing. I loved the story, the struggles, and how they overcame everything. The series as a whole gave me some series feels. Like, legit.
Spoiler:
Though, Brotherhood always has a larger edge over the first. I haven't read the manga, but from what I heard it's almost the same, and it was just...better. lol The story was better, there weren't OP characters like in the first, and it was just purely awesome. The characters were each well done, villains, minor characters, main characters, etc. But yeah, I like it tons. <333333

Years
Username: Regeneration
Favourite Character: Greed
How/when did you get into the FMA series?
I watched FMA Brotherhood back in 2010 after Derozio told me how awesome it was.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I had nothing to do while I was sick for two days so I literally just watched FMA:B and I finished itt it was so good we should do like a club rewatch eventually yes y/y

Spoiler:

Years
I had nothing to do while I was sick for two days so I literally just watched FMA:B and I finished itt it was so good we should do like a club rewatch eventually yes y/y

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Username: KriegStein

Favorite character(s): Hughes, Creed, Wrath, Ling (or whats his name), Kimbly and Scar

Well many years ago I started loaning them from the local library. I have always loved alchemists etc so the manga was like made for me. I liked the more serious tone of alchemy and I loved the villains. Also even before I started to loan the mangas I watched fma on tv. It was the other anime adaptation (the not literal one) and I liked it. Although brotherhood is better of course. I havent read the manga in ages and I cant even remember the whole story. But yeah I guess Ill try it again. :D

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Username: Yuki's Sword.
Favorite character(s): Edward Elric, Roy Mustang, Riza Hawkeye.
Answer a topic: Oh, three years ago in the seventh grade. I didn't like it at first, but then I began to love it so much. My friend was more interested than I was, then after watching the anime once, I decided to stop shunning and it and I fell in love. The manga is really good, one of the best out there, the anime? Both anime are good, but Brotherhood could have been better. The original was done better in my opinion.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
Username: Artificial-Insanity
Favorite character(s): Roy Mustang, Alphonse Elric, Gluttony, Greeling, Olivier.... THEY ARE ALL AMAZING I CANNOT PICK FAVES!!
I've heard of it's existance for years, but I never really had a chance to watch it until around a year and a half ago, when I randomly caught it on TV (I had cable in my room at the time), and I saw episode 33.... of course, coming on so early, I rarely caught it...

a few months ago, I wanted to watch some anime, and remembered how interesting I found FMA... so I marathoned the original series, and even got the second half of it on dvd... then a month or so later, I marathoned Brotherhood.

I for one find this to be one of the most incredible animes EVER. I have NOT read the manga, save for volume 27.

Years
Username: Dangelitus
Favorite character(s): Ed Elric, Winry, Hughes

I thnik i see first time in Carton Network, I liked it so much, that I got the serie (the brotherhood version). From the serie i like the idea of the immense powers but with their limitation, and that everyone have their own speciality. About my favorite characters, Ed is one because he have a great determination, and its funny how he ged mad when someone say him short. Winry because she give strenght to the Elric brothers; and Hughes because he's very nice and kind.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
So, does anyone here have any merch? like Plushies, Figures, DVDs, ect?

I have a Roy Mustang plushie...

Spoiler:

I have the Second "Season" of the original on dvd as well

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
Username: .Aero
Favorite character(s): Roy Mustang, Riza Hawkeye, Olivier Armstrong, Hoenheim <3, Alphonse, Greedling (Greed x Ling)
▪ Does anyone here have any merchandise, like plushies, figurines, DVDs, etc?

No

▪ How/when did you get into the FMA series? What are your overall thoughts on the manga/anime?

Friend of mine had watched it alone back in the day, and told my friends and I to watch it. So I saw the whole series (like 8 episodes every Saturday night) during the end 2011-2012 school year and the summer following it. And I'm talking about Brotherhood, the superior version. From what I've heard about the original, and knowing people who've seen both, Brotherhood is the preferred version.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Username: Pokedra
Favorite characters: Edward Elric, Roy Mustang, Hohenheim
Just decided to give it a go, watched the 2003 series then switched over to Brotherhood. Quite possibly one of the best shonen I've ever read imo, the plot is deep and the characters are so well written. Tied with CG for my favourite series so far.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
Years
Username: コナンくん
Favorite character(s): Edward Elric, or Greed/Lin
Answer a topic:
- Does anyone here have any merchandise, like plushies, figurines, DVDs, etc?: I own just DVDs I own the movies dvds, and 1 from the 2003 series, and Curse of the Elixir game as for the 2009 series I got the Complete Collection on Bluray. :)
- How/when did you get into the FMA series? What are your overall thoughts on the manga/anime?: 2004, my friend was spending the night, and he knew i liked (some anime at that time i was still getting into it a bit), I loved it right away my first episode was the Barry the chopper in the meat truck episode, my over all thoughts is 'its an anime that makes me think, and I enjoy the meaning of science and overall opinion on their view of life in the story, and it's a very good series that I still today recommend watching'. But that is it basically. 2009 series first heard about it, I was like, "im so watching it I dont care if it is subbed" (at that time I wasnt a big fan of subs, now I am haha.)

TwilightBlade

Years
Welcome all new folks to the club! :)

Does anyone here have any merchandise, like plushies, figurines, DVDs, etc?
Unfortunately not. I have seen some of the games on youtube. I'd love to have a plushie or anything, really. That's a very cute Roy plushie. :3

Lapras* said:

Spoiler:
Yes, club rewatch! It's already starting to slip from my mind, but when is the time to watch it, hmm...

I remember Winry's line for similar reasons, haha. Do you have any favorite quotes?
I loved any kind of Ed's short rant. Some other hysterial lines were where Roy said he loved dogs or he wanted an army of female soldiers wearing mini-skirts. XD

Oh, and this was an awesome moment between Pride and Kimblee in episode 61.
Spoiler:

Back