• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What would you like to see in a Pokémon fangame?

TheMrQuit

Egg: It's going to hatch soon!
Years
What i would like to see

What i would like to see from a pokemon game is something unique in the first place. If i just have to play a normal pokemon game, i could just play the original ones. I would like for example a good story or strange gameplay mechanics.
I don't really care if there aren't all the 649 pokemon or all the characters from the previous games. I'd like less, but better done, because i always see big projects and i know most of them won't be finished or they'll be rushed. Good luck to everyone who is making a fan game! :)

poke-world

Banned
Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2012
It makes more sense that you have your Pokemon evolved by the time you head out to the next region, and I see no problem with this, since all of the trainers on the next region will have their Pokemon fully evolved and match your level. So, actually, it is as simple as bumping up the level, if you don't want to put that much work into it. Not only that, but increasing the amount of exp gain to the next level could easily throw that problem away.

FirEmerald

Pokemon reverse engineer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
what they need...

...is a player that can actual jump!
it's so weird that you can jump onto a flying pokemon or a surfing pokemon, but when your walking, your feet never leave the ground!

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
it's so weird that you can jump onto a flying pokemon or a surfing pokemon, but when your walking, your feet never leave the ground!
Defying the basics of Pokémon are we?
251878_360193447384481_2126463383_n.jpg

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Obviously, you'll need a Pokemon that knows Bounce before you can jump in the overworld. Just jump on its back and... no, wait a moment.

FirEmerald

Pokemon reverse engineer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
LOL

Ha, ha. very funny. I just think it's weird how the player can jump onto pokemon, hop on the acro bike, jump off one platform to another in the distortion world, and hop off ledges, yet can't even manage a single pixel otherwise.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
One thing that bothers me:
In the majority of fangames, people don't edit the Pokemon's stats/movepool/abilities etc. Making it almost identical to playing the official games. Just a few changes could make a game a lot more interesting. Heck, even just changing the Pokedex entries or move descriptions would make a game more fun to play for me. (It actually seems like something new that way)

Some other things I like to see are:

less linearity; Multiple routes to get through a town, an increase in fieldmoves (HMs) so there are multiple ways to get through a cave or something.

I'll post more when I think of other things.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Ha, ha. very funny. I just think it's weird how the player can jump onto pokemon, hop on the acro bike, jump off one platform to another in the distortion world, and hop off ledges, yet can't even manage a single pixel otherwise.

well its a game where you make giant monsters into slaves with little balls...
do not expect much realism there... <.<
maybe it bothers you that you cant go to the toilet as well? :D

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
He doesn't jump off ledges, he falls off them in style, but other that that yeah... Bit sad really...

Then again, this game we're talking about has a pidgin, like pidgey, can learn FLY.. ever looked at the size comparison between pidgey and player???

Also, I want 3-type's in a Pokémon. And cross-evolution. Like, if a lvl 100 venusaur, lvl 100 charizard and lvl 100 blastoise are in your party, they are all removed and a lvl 1 Blastisaur is now there. Water, Fire and Grass. No evo's

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Also, I want 3-type's in a Pokémon. And cross-evolution. Like, if a lvl 100 venusaur, lvl 100 charizard and lvl 100 blastoise are in your party, they are all removed and a lvl 1 Blastisaur is now there. Water, Fire and Grass. No evo's
We already have Fusion Digivolution. It's called Kyurem. And it's a bad idea.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
It'd be neat to see a Pokémon game that has an open world. It'd be pretty great to not have to stick to the storyline and roam around.

Years
A harder game to crack, seriously I can crack 90% of games here in 2 minutes. (if that)

You know like maybe encrypt the save I mean anyone can just put the save into an editable version of essentials and completely hack pokemon and items into it.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
A harder game to crack, seriously I can crack 90% of games here in 2 minutes. (if that)

You know like maybe encrypt the save I mean anyone can just put the save into an editable version of essentials and completely hack pokemon and items into it.

well its your decision if you crack it or not... :)
just do it if you want to ruin the fun or make it to easy...
if the game is not multiplayer its not the developers problem if you cheat... :P

Years
well its your decision if you crack it or not... :)
just do it if you want to ruin the fun or make it to easy...
if the game is not multiplayer its not the developers problem if you cheat... :P

I am actually pointing something out, I don't really even bother downloading games let alone cheat, but either way you are right.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Really my biggest peeve when it comes to fan games is when they have poor grammar and spelling.

I'm nowhere near a grammar nazi but my goodness sometimes you see really really poor writing in a fan game and it just throws everything off.

I'm not sure if this is too much to ask....but I would like to see a fan game that includes every pokemon. (That currently exists) Ever since the fourth generation games came out it's pretty jarring not being able to get a particular pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Well, one thing that I would personally love is letting the hero become the player, not the opposite way around. Who said that I'm a 10 year old boy who's super nice. Maybe I'm actually a 113 year old creep. For example, I don't know if this is possible, but maybe make the hero a category of players like 10 and under between 10 and 20, and 20 and above. Also, don't put in too much dialogue for the hero, or put in multiple choices.

Years
  • Seen Oct 15, 2012
I don't like these in pokémon games:

- HM moves. I'd rather have them as items, at least the weak/crappy ones.

- Pokemon needing special conditions to evolve, for example Kadabra needing to be traded to evolve. Not good when the fan made game is not as active as when it was released. You can't find anyone to trade. An in-game trade center or something like that would be nice or trading with npc trainers in the game.

- Berries. They are just put in games to add extra game time imo. They are too troublesome to raise and collect.

- Grinding. Considering official games can make you grind forever sometimes, I think it would be good to reduce it to an extent in fan made games.

Years
sorry to be a necromancer (this isnt the sort of thread that can "die" though).
But I was thinking, surely theres a way to make a pokemon game based on different mechanics, not leveling up.
The problem with leveling up is you can end up beating the major trainers, like the gym leaders, just by having higher level pokemon, not by having a good plan. In the small amount of anime ive watched (just the kanto and johto series) there was no mention of the level of pokemon. I think this is because its not a very natural idea, its a very "gamey" idea.
surely we can think of something better.

Years
Id' honestly love to see cameos of old spinoff characters such as Michael and Wes, I mean Pokemon Nightmare did something similar to this by having Michael in their game but I mean exact overworld sprites and alil more story

Back