• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokémon Trainer Association

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Username:MarcEddy
Your Goals: To beat all pokemon games. ( and become a popular youtuber )

Welcome to the club! Feel free to drop by anytime :)

First and foremost.. thanks for allowing me to join the Club! Much appreciated. Secondly, as for my Pokemon.. I haven't fully decided just yet. I know I'm going to have a Blazekin and Greninja. Was also thinking a Haunter. Undecided on whether I want to add in a Charizard or not. There's a ton of Pokemon to choose from, so it can be rather daunting for a rookie breeder / IV+EV Trainer.

Yeah, the games have so many Pokemon, it's hard to chose just six, right? I've come across http://beldum.org/synergy a while back, it suggests potential teammates for your Pokemon, based on their types and abilities. Oh, and do let us know about your training progress later :)

WhtKnt

Budding Breeder & Trainer
Years
So, I went to that website. Beldum. Very, very useful information contained on it. Any idea when they plan on adding Generation VI to it? That would be quite useful.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Just felt like saying that I got X/Y about a week ago! I've just beaten the fairy gym and I'm really liking it so far. Is it just me though or can you get overleveled really easily? I was up in my 40s by the second gym actually. Anyway, would anyone have some good Pokemon to recommend? Right now I'm trying out Goomy as my last team member and it's pretty kickass. :]

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I'll just quote what I said about a month ago:

Now, about training in this game; it may be the effects of the new Exp. Share, that I eventually turned off, and the boosted experience gain for Pokemon you've played a lot with in Amie, plus the fact that I've been farming the Battle Chateau for money, but I think I already have about two full teams that I've been training, with some Pokemon pushing level 40, while I've yet to challenge Clemont, whose team I think is just under level 35. What do you guys think? To me, it just feels so easy to gain experience. Which is super fun, since less grinding = more time to enjoy the new features, plus I get to train more Pokemon ^^

Since leveling up was so easy, I ended up training more Pokemon, so I was always switching my team around. I think because of this, I actually ended up a bit underleveled by the time I got to the E4.

I really liked Greninja, she never left my team actually, but I think you already have one. I also used Aurorus a lot, and Florges too, because they're pretty good and they also look nice :)

Years
Username: Cirno/Sheep
Your Goals: Train my favorite Pokemon from each type to lv. 100! Complete the Pokedex in X as well. Oh, and get shiny versions of my favorites. :) I'm sure that'll keep me busy for a long time.

How do you prepare for the first gym battle in a game?

Usually I just wing it for my first gym match. I'd train my Pokemon to 12-16 depending on the levels of the first gym leader and try a battle even if I have a type disadvantage; most of the time I'm strong enough to win. The first gym in X and Y didn't give me as much trouble as I'd assumed but that was mostly thanks to the wonderful assistance of Vivillon.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Welcome, Sheep! your new UN is super adorable~

So that's 18 Pokemon to train to lv. 100, right? Have fun with that, hehe. And shinies are easier to get in gen 6, there's chain fishing and the PokeRadar + the chances are actually higher now than before anyway.

I've actually started a challenge on Platinum last night; my final team is going to be be Crobat, Bronzong, Driblim, Quagsire, Umbreon and Glalie. For the moment I've only caught Zubat in the Oreburgh Gate cave, he's only lv. 5 right now, and I think Burgh's team is around lv. 12? So that's that + Zubat is week to Rock-type attacks, so it is now time for some grinding. Good thing that I managed to avoid all the Trainers on Route 203 before reaching the cave, that should speed up the process a bit.

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
I've actually started a challenge on Platinum last night; my final team is going to be be Crobat, Bronzong, Driblim, Quagsire, Umbreon and Glalie. For the moment I've only caught Zubat in the Oreburgh Gate cave, he's only lv. 5 right now, and I think Burgh's team is around lv. 12? So that's that + Zubat is week to Rock-type attacks, so it is now time for some grinding. Good thing that I managed to avoid all the Trainers on Route 203 before reaching the cave, that should speed up the process a bit.

Hey MIAU thats great! i love Glalie <3, good luck with your challenge, i also started a Platinum challenge last night! its a randomizer nuzlocke (I guess that we can discuss nuzlockes too? or can we only discuss normal runs? i never saw anyone talking about a Nuzlocke run here so i dont really know) i just did all the tutorial stuff and got my starter which was a Magmortar (Could have been a Latias or another Pokémon that i cant remember) and named it Blass
Oh and welcome to all the new members!

Years
Wow! I haven't posted lately. Well I was busy with planning out my first nuzlocke challenge sadly i didnt think about signingup for it on this site so oh well. but I am doing my first one on HeartGold and only 1 of my pokemon has died.

RIP Luna the Hoothoot

But anyways I do plan on more activity. :D

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Everybody is welcome to talk about their training in their games, regardless if it's a normal run or any type of challenge. That being said, good luck with your nuzlockes! I tried one once on Emerald, but got my team wiped out at one of the Gyms, so I just continued it as a normal run, though I haven't finished it yet.

Pacifist, that means you get all the Pokemon and their moves completely at random, right? That means you never know who you're going to battle next, so you can't prepare or anything. That sounds crazy, I don't think I could handle that o_O

And amerininja, I think you can still go ahead and sign up for your nuzlocke in the challenges sub-forum :)

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
MIAU, the Randomizer Nuzlocke im playing just have randomized TMs Pokémon encounters and abilities but some people like to randomize trainers as well, i would normally do that but since im playing Platinum which i consider one of the hardest Pokémon games out there i thought that it would be easier if i randomized Pokémons since hard trainers could have a Weedle or something easy to defeat, Now about my run update:
I caught a female Chingling and named her Natsume Hardy nature with Heatproof as an ability
Caught a female Swellow and named her Flatter she has the ability Clear Body
Caught a female Luvdisc and named her LUV-YU has thte ability Drizzle
Caught a female Vigoroth and named her Sasha
Caught a male Dusclops and named him Azis has the ability Intimidate
Caught a female Skitty and named her MIAU (Because why not?) she has the ability Swarm
My team is made of Natsume, Blass, Sasha, LUV-YU and Flatter
I went to grind on the same place that i caught Azis and after 4 encounters or so boom *Shiny Dusclops* at first i was really upset since im playing on an emulator i cant send him to X & Y but after some time i got happy about having him,, since i play using the Shiny clause (If you run into a shiny you can catch it) a caught him and named him Akai his also one of my team members, now im almost ready to fight the 1st gym

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Sorry for not being around, I've had a family emergency this week, sadly. I'll try to post a Christmas mini-event for the club in the next couple of days. Maybe you guys are already planning some sort of Christmas activity related to Pokemon? Like an Ice monotype team, or maybe training some other kinds of seasonal Pokemon?

Caught a female Skitty and named her MIAU (Because why not?) she has the ability Swarm
Haha, I approve of this
300.gif

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
Username:Christopher
Your Goals: Let's see. I want to:
Complete the Kalos Pokedex.
EV Train a competitive team for every type of weather.
EV train 3 entirely different teams in addition to the weather ones.
IV breed a flawless shiny.
Eventually pick up X and Nuzlocke it.

kanakinz.

- - just another pokébreeder
Years
Username: _espeon (but please, call me Kana!)
Your Goals: As of right now, I'm working to create an all gen 6 pokemon team. Goals for this include:
- Breed for 5IVs suited to each team member
- Completely EV train each team member

Other goals are: Obtain an Oval Charm and eventually I want to create all gen team for each generation and train them.

Right now I'm doing breeding for the first pokemon of my Gen6 team, Sylveon.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Cristopher and Kana, welcome to the club and good luck with all your goals! I've recently heard that hordes are now the best way to EV train in gen 6, I found a guide with the Kalos hotspots too: clicky!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Does anyone here actually EV train? I know it's definitely recommended if you're going into competitive. Otherwise, it's just a time waster. It's nice to have stronger Pokemon but is hours of grinding on low leveled Pokemon honestly worth it? What do you guys think about EVS? As for hordes, they're great for experience. If you have a move that can hit all of them, then they're fairly easy. However taking them out one by one is just tedious. :(

kanakinz.

Years
Thanks Miau! :pink_love: I checked that link out, and hordes seem like they make EV training a whole lot easier! Even if you have to hit them individually, I guess it's easier since you dont have to do 5 individual battles and hunt for the same pokemon? That's just my take on it though.

I'm pretty close to breeding a 5iv(-atk) eevee, so as soon as I'm done with that I'll start EV training it with hordes :pink_boogie: I'm curious though, does Exp. Share work for hordes? Like for example my recently hatched lv1 eevee is too weak to battle a horde of pokemon way above its level, so if I have exp. share on and use a different pokemon I dont really care about the EVs battle a horde, would they pass to my eevee? Didnt find anything covering this in the link.

As for the question about if anyone actually EV trains: EV training never made any sense to me in any of the other generations, so this is the first game where I thought I'd try it. I don't have a team together yet so I haven't used it competitively or anything, so not too sure how "worth it" it really is. But I did test it on my Delphox and gave him maxed ev's in Sp. Atk and Speed, and I've noticed a difference for the in-game battles.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Kana, you're welcome! I can't say for sure about the Exp. Share, but it did work that way in gen 5 at least. I couldn't find anything for sure online either, but if you want to be positive, you can try it out by battling a few hordes, and then check your Eevee in the Super Training screen. If it worked, you should be able to it on the chart there; if it didn't work, just exit without saving.

About EV training: I don't battle online at all, but I do have a few EV trained Pokemon. At first I only wanted to check it out for myself when I first heard about it, so that's how I got my first couple of them. Afterwards I only EV trained for the in-game facilities; for example the PWT in Unova can get really challenging when you got to the higher tournaments, and EV training can make a big difference.

In the end though, EV training is not horribly boring if you know your items and Pokerus; best case scenario is actually 12 EVs per each 2EV-yielding Pokemon. A good type match-up also helps a lot though, I hate EV training for HP against the Stunfisk around Icirrus, especially if I'm training a Water-type.

kanakinz.

Years

When I do try it, I'll probably post here whether it was successful or not. Wouldn't really make sense if it didn't work. I guess even if it doesn't pass on the EVs, my pokemon would be levelled enough to go out and train by itself ^^

How do you prepare for the first gym battle in a game? A lot of grinding, I try and have the pokemon in my team all at least level 10 before I challenge the first gym. For my pokemon X game, I actually didn't grind enough,and my pokemon were levels 7-8 with my starter being at 10 when I got to Viola's gym. And I didn't realize that you could actually climb back up the rope, so I thought I was stuck with no potions and lost ;__;

I'm curious, to the people that have and play x/y, where do you train to level up your pokemon? And how long does it take you to gain a few levels?

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022

He's making a list,​
And checking it twice;
He's gonna find out...​

So, was your Pokemon naughty or nice this year? Time to sum up this year's training and send PokeSanta a letter. Who knows what you'll find under the Christmas tree in the morning?

For the Trainer's Association end-of-the-year bash, everyone is invited to:
  • post updates on their training progress and share tips
  • participate in the Trainer Project and mini-events
  • discuss various training matters; feel free to suggest a topic!

Trainer Project

Make one last effort and bring forth a nice Pokemon; or is your Pokemon just naughty beyond repair? Think cute, obedient Pokemon, with healing skills and stat-boosting moves. Or Naughty natured, Mischievous Pokemon with status attacks.

There's no better time to train festive and winter-themed Pokemon, or even your favorite, who'd keep you warm while you stay awake on Christmas Eve. There are no fixed rules for this event, so let your imagination run wild!

Trainer Scrapbook

Don't know about you guys, but I'm one of those people who get really excited about winter and snow! So to celebrate the season, I'm inviting everyone to share their favorite festive or winter-themed Pokemon pics; think lots of snow, Christmas decorations and presents!

Spoiler:

Back