• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Trainer Classes?

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I just want them to change Ace Trainer trainer class name back to Cooltrainer.

Gotta admit I agree with this. When I found out the Cooltrainers were renamed to Ace Trainers I was kinda disappointed. :\ Just seemed a bit unnecessary and they've been called Cooltrainers since the beginning so yeah~ :(

As for new trainers, maybe around the Eiffel Tower area we could fight Mimes? :D They could be the successor to the Harlequins/Clowns or something. I'd also like to see a Student class instead of the Poke Kid or whatever. It seems so much more natural in my opinion and isn't limited to a single sex like some classes were (e.g.: School Boy from Gen II.) The Dragon Tamer from Gen III and IV was a pretty cool class and I wouldn't mind that returning. Also, as mentioned I want some of the old classes like Bug Catcher (definitely!!!) and the Beauty returning. :) Was a bit weird without them in Gen V. For some reason I noticed the absence of the Sailor too. xD

edit: Noticed I got beat to the Mime suggestion ahahaha. xD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I want more chefs. Sure BW had them, but I want male chefs besides the female ones, and since this is France I honestly wouldn't mind a Gym Leader chef.

They did kiiind of do that in a way with Unova in regards to the gym leader chef. That doesn't mean it can't occur but I think if they wanted to do both gender chefs, it would've been in the same generation rather than wait another generation for another type of chef!

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
Trainer Classes with "Personality"

As I was playing some Pokemon the other day, something occurred to me: normally, when you fight monsters in other RPGs, they always reward you with experience and money. But the developers behind Pokemon got really creative with this traditional mechanic: since it doesn't really make too much sense for wild animals to always be carrying money around with them, they made it so only trainers could give you money.

But for the most part, that's all that really differentiates trainer battles from wild battles. Basically, the difference between a trainer battle and a wild battle is that instead of fighting one Pokemon for experience, you're fighting as many as six consecutive Pokemon for experience and money. When you see a trainer in the game, you might get a good idea of the kinds of Pokemon he's using and can plan accordingly. For instance, you can tell that a man with a fishing hat and vest standing by the water is clearly a fisherman, so perhaps you'll want to lead with a strong Electric- or Grass-type. So, sometimes they're like themed wild battles. But what if the kind of trainer didn't just tell you the kind of Pokemon they were using, but instead hinted at their preferred strategy? That'd give the trainer classes more personality, and would better represent who they are.

I think they started adding more personality to the trainers when we got Gen III; for example, the Twins will always challenge you to a Double Battle, and Aroma Ladies mostly use Pokemon that learn powder-based status moves. In Gen IV, I recall some Ace Trainers using Pokemon with TM attacks, and Artists will use moves that copy your own. In Gen V, some of the Scientists would lead with using an X Stat item, and the Parasol Ladies preferred employing weather effects.

That being said, I'd like to see them expand this much further in Gen VI, in order to really make trainer battles stand out from wild battles. I thought up a list of some example strategies that I'd like to see used by the different trainers we've had over the years:

- Pokemon Breeders primarily using Pokemon with special egg moves
- Jugglers always challenging you to a Rotation Battle (because they're "juggling" their Pokemon around)
- Super Nerds focusing on high Special Attack (some Pokemon may be holding Wise Glasses)
- Psychics occasionally "predicting" your next move, allowing them to switch or use an appropriate attack (They're psychic, after all!)
- Ninja Boys using moves or abilities that make their Pokemon harder to hit
- Policemen employing paralysis moves, or even trap moves (Fire Spin, Wrap, etc.)
- Swimmers using Pokemon that know Surf (even if they aren't Water-type)
- Campers and Picnickers with all of their Pokemon holding berries

Do you think this would be a good idea? And are there any other (or better) strategies you can think of for any of the trainer classes we've had over the years that they could use if they return in Gen VI?

Guy

just a guy
Years
Putting this in the "New Trainer Classes?" discussion, but wow, would I love to see this done more in the games.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I'd definitely love that addition! We've been facing Ace Trainers since the beginning of pokemon, and they always had their own strategy of some sort. I've always thought that Ace Trainers were pretty much the best trainer class in general, because, not only do we face different stradegy against them, but in their own way, we see their own personalities flourish.

So, yes, I agree with your list:

- Pokemon Breeders primarily using Pokemon with special egg moves
- Jugglers always challenging you to a Rotation Battle (because they're "juggling" their Pokemon around)
- Super Nerds focusing on high Special Attack (some Pokemon may be holding Wise Glasses)
- Psychics occasionally "predicting" your next move, allowing them to switch or use an appropriate attack (They're psychic, after all!)
- Ninja Boys using moves or abilities that make their Pokemon harder to hit
- Policemen employing paralysis moves, or even trap moves (Fire Spin, Wrap, etc.)
- Swimmers using Pokemon that know Surf (even if they aren't Water-type)
- Campers and Picnickers with all of their Pokemon holding berries

Perhaps Lasses and Youngsters can use items such as Potions, because in a way, they're like normal pokemon trainers like us; they have no special personality, aside from the obvious clothing issues. Maybe trainers like Rockers can have more usage of Sound-based moves rather than paralysis as well.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Lass and Youngster seem to be Young trainers that still are at school, you could name them Students.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
Perhaps Lasses and Youngsters can use items such as Potions, because in a way, they're like normal pokemon trainers like us; they have no special personality, aside from the obvious clothing issues. Maybe trainers like Rockers can have more usage of Sound-based moves rather than paralysis as well.
Yeah, I'd love to see Potions used more frequently; it's one of the biggest things that separates wild Pokemon battles from trainer battles, so having a basic trainer class make use of it is a really sound idea.

Speaking of sound, emphasis on sound attacks would be an awesome theme! I can just imagine them using disruption tactics like Supersonic, Sing, and Bug Buzz. That way, bringing along a Pokemon with Soundproof would really come in handy! If this happens, it would be a great opportunity for Gen VI to introduce some powerful new sound-based attacks so they could really increase the practicality of Soundproof.

I just thought of some other new strategies they could use for trainer classes in Gen VI:

- Instead of only having Fire-types (and the occasional Poison-type), Firebreathers/Kindlers could focus a little more on burning your Pokemon, with attacks like Lava Plume and Fire Punch. Imagine them using Ghost-types with Will-O-Wisp, or using Fling to throw their Flame Orb at your Pokemon.
- Beauties could use primarily female Pokemon with attacks that disrupt the opposite gender, such as Attract and Captivate. Some of their Pokemon could hold Destiny Knot, while others may use Pokemon with the Cute Charm ability.
- Burglars could focus more on taking your held items away, with moves like Thief, Switcheroo, and Knock Off
- Since Fishermen are often seen by the shore, one or more of their Pokemon could be holding Shell Bell, Mystic Water, or Sticky Barb (Because it's like a hook. =P )
- All of a Rich Boy's Pokemon could be holding gems
- All of a Ruin Maniac's Pokemon could be holding plates
- Harlequins could focus on setting up Reflect and Light Screen (Y'know how mimes love to do the invisible wall routine. =P ), and one of their Pokemon could be holding Light Clay
- Since Cyclists are all about going fast, they could frequent priority moves (Quick Attack, Aqua Jet, etc.) or Pokemon with the Speed Boost ability
- Bug Catchers could use Antidotes and Parlyz Heals in battle, while some of their Pokemon might be holding Silver Powder or Poison Barb

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Lass and Youngster seem to be Young trainers that still are at school, you could name them Students.

Well we already have students, but I guess the three are different in that Youngster is such a... normal thing that we've had for like, ever. Maybe the early Younger can have a Rattata, like the original days!

I agree with all the strategy ideas too :3

Back