• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[MUGEN] Samurott Showdown

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Local 2-player mutliplayer. Online play is not possible without some very hacky and unrecommended methods and is unlikely to ever be added to the engine in the near future.

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2012
You got something cool going on!
I have some questions though...
1) Why is the game called Samurott Showdown?~I believe the name should be general and not have a single Pokemon name in it.
In example: Pokemon Showdown, Pokemon Battle Fighter, Pokemon Combat Clash!

2) The select playable Pokemon, will they all be humanoid?
~ It would be good to have some non humanoid Pokemon to give diversity.

So yeah, good game!
Keep up the great work and if you need help, I can make line art for the models, help with the story, do backgrounds, etc.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
As someone he's bounced ideas off of since the game's inception, the name is based on the phrase "Samurai Showdown" and there will be non-humanoid Pokemon in the game.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I've been doing a quick experiment with Photoshop's automatic indexing to get sprites with a small amount of colours quickly and easily, and so far it's come out a lot better than I thought it would.

limited_palette_test.gif

If I can get a slightly cleaner result from this method it will allow me to manage palettes easily and also gives me a lot of space to separate each body part into a unique colour. Unfortunately my main hang-up is that the model is too low-poly to get a smooth result (Gamecube graphics, what can you do?) and I'm hardly a 3D artist.

edit: Okay I've got this down pretty much as good as it will get - save for a few messy spots like his right knee which is easy enough to edit out later. I've also gone and improved how the lighting hits the model.

pal_seperate_test-1.png

As you can see on the left is how much is sprite is separated into unique palette colours. I've got well other 40 colours to work with which lets me make the alternate player colours better variations than changing the entire colour of his body, for example.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013

Yeah, I've got this down. It's not perfect, and it never will be - but it took me less than 15 minutes to take the original renders and turn them into this animation.

Last edited:

yusolaifdfer

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2013
that blaziken looks awesome , really good.. last mugen game i played it was some DBZ game don't remember the name though it contained all characters from DBZ and DBGT

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
If you'll excuse me, I've been playing around with these wonderful gifts from our friends at Creatures Inc.

Otherwise, I'm confident that by this time next week I'll have enough sprites to start programming a basic character who can move around and react to opponents.

Years
Looks sick. I haven't seen a good MUGEN game in days. You rigged the Blaziken pretty well, the only issue I see is the shoulders, but that's no biggie! Looking forward to this.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
The models are all derived from Poképark, Smash or the nearest available way to extract rigged 3D models (alas nobody has a quick any easy way to get rigged and weighted models from PBR yet, although I got t-pose rips from XD)

His shoulders definitely appear to have gotten messed up when I was squashing and scaling the bones around, so I'm planning on going back to the original model and re-doing it soon. Thankfully it's easy enough to save and load animations onto different models.

Another issue is that the Poképark models don't put a lot of detail into some of the finer points on the rigs. I haven't seen a single model with fully posable hands. Most of them, like Blaziken, have a single finger bone but no joints - which means they can bend their whole fingers up and down but not curl them into a fist. Others have it even worse - Machamp doesn't even have individual fingers. Trying to fix them up to have proper working hands is going to be my real test of working with 3D modelling.

Last edited:
Years
I was wondering how you got the models. Do you have maps and stuff? Or are you going to rip those from games as well?

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Several Wii games, including the Poképark series, use a standard format for character models and the container (BRRES) in general. It just so happens to hold all the model data, bone structure, texture maps and animation data in one file. These can easily be converted to PSK mesh and PSA animation files, although there's a few glitches in materials like fire effects.

Otherwise there's also a large amount of Pokémon models that have been ripped and rigged for use into Garry's Mod, trivial to convert back into usable files.

Years
That's nice. I meant environment maps, not texture maps. :P It's good that pack all of it together in the model though. How many models do you have extracted and rigged so far?

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
The enviroment maps and specular maps are there in the files but seem to need to be manually assigned to the models.

Years
Oh, I see. What about sprites? Do the other games have those for abilities, or are they going to have to be made from scratch?

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I've got sources for most Pokémon I'd ever need, and more being added daily thanks to the works of the people over at Facepunch who are converting Pokémon models into Garry's mod. If I learn rigging I could have a rigged model of any Pokémon from Gen III and below taken from XD.

In other news, I would have most of the graphics I need ready to start programming a character however my copy of 3DS Max now needs activation, and Autodesk's Student community website has been unusable due to an error somewhere for a few days now.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Back, with a fixed-up model, a new idle animation and even an attempt a follow-through animation:

Oh yeah by the way in the interesting of ripping off the King Of Fighters series as much as I possibly can this game is also a team-based fighter revolving around 3 on 3 matches.

Last edited:
Back