• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games that NEED sequels...

Years
games-that-need-sequels.jpg

Games that NEED sequels

Sequels are a big part of the industry; some say they live off and milk the most out of the previous, popular game.
However, there are so many games out there that have never had a sequel, but are screaming out for it.
However, if one of your favour games have had a sequel, did it live up to what you were expecting?

Questions:
  • What games do you think NEED a sequel?
  • What games should never have had a sequel?
  • If one of your favorite games had a sequel, how did it live up to your expectations?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Phantom Brave needs a sequel, but I'd rather it not be a continuation of the first one. Phantom Brave is my favorite SRPG ever, bar none, and there is so much that can not only be fixed but improved on as well, and the first one proved, with its dark story and fleshed out characters, that its storytelling potential is great and isn't hindered by trying to be sympathetic or humorous.

The World Ends With You needs one, if only for the fact that they hint at it and the creator himself has also hinted at one, but nothing's been confirmed so far, which is a shame.

Years
What games do you think NEED a sequel?

I'm not someone who needs a sequel desperately to a game from ages ago, like Shenmue or something really.

Left4Dead (another one I mean of course)
Fallout (New Vegas was pretty disappointing so roll on 4)
Race Driver (GRID) (Codemasters have killed DiRT with like 4 sequels since the last GRID game, we need a sequel for their remaining good franchise)

What games should never have had a sequel?

It usually has to get past two games in the series for it to be ruined for me, I can't think of games that should have had no sequels whatsoever.

If one of your favorite games had a sequel, how did it live up to your expectations?

Saints Row 2 is probably still my favourite game for the sheer hours spent on it rolling around in laughter. The Third was announced, all of my friends looked forward to it, and it promised to be even more ridiculous. The game arrived and they had taken it too far, the core premise of it being a gangster game was lost and there was no fun after the main story anymore. It was okay as an overall game, but it didn't live up to the game before it one bit.

Years

Descent, a fun FPS sort of flying game. Sequel it even if a port of sorts.
BattleToads anything. Include with it some nostalgia goggles.

Dunno, but chances are hot its been shafted to the Wii's library.

If one of your favorite games had a sequel, how did it live up to your expectations?

Blew me away the sequel to Burnout did. One of the early reasons for my Gamecube enjoyment.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Dunno, but chances are hot its been shafted to the Wii's library.
Don't know why you'd call it a "shaft", the Wii's a great, albeit weak console. Going on exclusives alone I'd say it's the best home console this generation in terms of library (and gameplay), so long as you can get past the shovelware. I also think that games brought over from other consoles tend to do well on the Wii, like Monster Hunter Tri.

Seiren

Playing the Spirit's Tune~
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 7, 2013

- Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria. We need a game that focuses on Hrist. None of this Covenant of the Plume nonsense; I want a proper sequel to VP2 that follows on from it and wraps up those loose ends in the story, like the three mages who vanished, never to be heard from again.

- Resonance of Fate? I loved that game; it was a breath of fresh air in a very stagnant genre. Steampunk setting, fantastic - and unforgiving - battle system, and a cast of characters that had some genuine chemistry; the story wasn't very good, but the characters more than made up for it. I'd like a sequel to this.

- Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I say this only because of how bad Dark Dawn was. I waited on baited breath for seven years for a sequel to TLA, and that was what I got. I would have preferred they never touched it, to be honest; it was a far cry from the GBA games and, whilst it is set up for another game at least, that game is going to need to be very, VERY good to justify the existence of this atrocity.

- Tales of Symphonia. What in the name of everything sacred was Dawn of the New World supposed to be?! Until Xenoblade, ToS was my favourite game. Everything about ToS other than the characters was gone in the sequel. I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking when they made THAT disaster...

- Final Fantasy XIII. As unforgivably atrocious as that game was, it had a conclusive finish, and it didn't need the horrendously confusing mess that was XIII-2 - which didn't even have a proper conclusion, I might add - to follow it up. That entire world, concept, cast of characters, ALL OF IT, should have been discarded; it was a bad game, a bad idea, and it didn't need the sequel it got. And it doesn't need a threequel either, thank you very much, Square Enix.

- Dragon Age: Origins. Dragon Age II was atrocious. Bioware should have left that alone; they improved the combat, but wrecked everything else, and it was for the story and characters that I played Dragon Age; not the combat. DAII was a nightmare that should never have been made.

- It's an oldie, but Drakengard. The madness was sucked right out of the sequel, and it was dreadfully boring as a result. Drakengard was memorable because of how crazy it was: how often do you see incest, pedophilia and giant monster babies with teeth destroying the planet, all in the same game? Drakengard 2 followed the most boring of Drakengard's endings, and it was just such a chore to play.

- Golden Sun: The Lost Age inevitably gets a mention here, for being bigger and better in every regard than the original. It didn't just live up to my expectations; it surpassed them in leaps and bounds.

- Alice: Madness Returns
failed in a lot of areas - like the entire story, for one, and the length, for two - but exploring Wonderland was FANTASTIC. It had a fantastically world to explore, and there were moments towards the end where the insanity shone through, reminiscent of the original game. That, plus it had a teapot cannon.

- Whilst not sequels in the strictest sense, Atelier Totori and, by extension, Atelier Meruru, built upon the gameplay mechanics of Rorona and continued the development of the cast whilst adding in new characters as well, building up a picturesque and thoroughly charming world that, for a change, didn't need saving from some monster or another.

- People think I'm crazy for liking Hyperdimension Neptunia, but it's sequel, the creatively named Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk. II, met my expectations by improving upon the gameplay in leaps and bounds, making itself actually playable for longer than ten minutes. It lost Neptunia's fantastic humour - or at least, it didn't measure up to it - but it was a good game in its own right.

- I'm going to count NieR, because it follows on from one of Drakengard's endings, and gets everything right. NieR was what a true successor to Drakengard should have been like: insane. Depressing. Strangely humourous, albeit in a dark, twisted fashion. Also immense fun, and boasting the best soundtrack to come from a video game to date.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
If I could throw another question into the mix? (DON'T KILL ME, WILLIAM!)

What even constitutes a sequel in video gaming? Something like Super Mario Galaxy 2 is definitely regarded as a sequel to Super Mario Galaxy, but what about Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire to Pokemon Red and Blue? Or the Final Fantasy games, which I erroneously assumed were sequels in the SMG vein mentioned earlier. Are continuations of a franchise 'sequels' in the same way that continuations of films are?

Food for thought and all that...

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I don't think I've played many stand alone games o_o Except for Dragon's Dogma, which I'm playing now and so don't really know if it needs/deserves a sequel.

Final Fantasy games should not have sequels ><. Each one should have a conclusive story.

It may seem to contradict the above but I really enjoyed X-2. Not really story/minigame wise, but the mechanics of the game were good and enjoyable! But yes, I thought the tag-on to the story of FFX was a bit of a cop out of the harsh, original ending.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Although it would technically not be a sequel, I would like a follow up to Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. I think the darker plot in both Gale of Darkness and Colosseum are great and I would love to see gen IV and V Shadow Pokemon. I'm sure Genius Sonority could come up with a good reason to bring them back, although it's unlikely. I'd also like a Pokemon Stadium 3, but that's a whole new story.

Jon might agree with me on this next one though! We need a Pokemon Snap 2 for 3DS! The mechanics on that thing just scream for it. I think it would be amazing.

Moving on to another series, I'd love if Kirby 64 had a sequel. Or well, just another Kirby game where you can mix powers together. I think that was great and I don't think any Kirby games after it have done that again. It was a brilliant concept, and if they include all the power ups from the latest Kirby game (Return to Dreamland iirc), then that would make for some stimulating gameplay and TONS of power combinations! Kirby Air Ride 2 would also be amazing. It's a fantastic racing game with amazing music and beautiful courses. The only thing the game suffers from is that there are not enough Air Ride courses and Top Ride is just boring. City Trial is tons of fun, whether you're alone or with friends.

ALSO we need a Conker's Bad Fur Day sequel PLEASE. I don't need to explain that one!

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
If I could throw another question into the mix? (DON'T KILL ME, WILLIAM!)

What even constitutes a sequel in video gaming? Something like Super Mario Galaxy 2 is definitely regarded as a sequel to Super Mario Galaxy, but what about Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire to Pokemon Red and Blue? Or the Final Fantasy games, which I erroneously assumed were sequels in the SMG vein mentioned earlier. Are continuations of a franchise 'sequels' in the same way that continuations of films are?

Food for thought and all that...

A sequel is defined as a complete work that continues the narrative of a past work. I'd say that if it doesn't directly build on to the storyline, it isn't a sequel. The Pokemon games are mostly sequels because it is clear they all occur in the same world, not an alternate dimension for each game. They all carry common themes and there is noted continuity between the games. Most Final Fantasy games would not be sequels because they do not add to the storyline, only use crossover themes to develop a new storyline. I consider Final Fantasy Tactics Advance a spin-off of Final Fantasy Tactics, but FFTA2: Grimoire Of The Rift as a prequel to FFT and sequel to Final Fantasy XII.

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
ChronO!

There needs to be another sequel to Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross was awesome...but can you imagine on ps3? :o

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 22, 2016
Perhaps the long forgotten ninja game I-Ninja?
It was true that were making a sequel but the company cancelled it when they were nearing bankruptcy.
But then again, I can't really see how the sequel will do justice to the original material.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
Well sweeties, I can't think up of many at the moment, but here's my list.

Metroid Fusion: Before anybody says, let me inform you. There hasn't been a game chronologically after Fusion, aka Metroid 4. Every game so far has been an interquel; the Prime games took place before Metroid/Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid II: The Return of Samus, and Other M took place between Super Metroid/Metroid III. Also don't get me started on Other M, I just LOATHE that game. (Not that the game was bad, it wasn't a Metroid game in a sense, as well how Samus...was a little girl with daddy issues and discontinuity here and there.) Till this day, I'm still waiting for Metroid: Dread, AKA Metroid 5.

Mega Man Legends 2: I'm looking at you, Capcom.

Pokemon_Trainer_Danny

Slateport resident
Years
XIII for PS2, PC and Xbox

Ever heard of that old PlayStation 2 game, XIII? That shooter made by Ubisoft that had an open ending, but never got a sequel? Well, that one. I tell you, that game ruled my life when I was younger, and then at the end of the final level it said: "to be continued...".

I was so frustrated because of that. I had to know how the story unfolded further! Turns out, the sequel will probably never be made... The main character is even voiced by Dave Duchovny... XIII was the coolest PS2 game I owned...

Years
Ever heard of that old PlayStation 2 game, XIII? That shooter made by Ubisoft that had an open ending, but never got a sequel? Well, that one. I tell you, that game ruled my life when I was younger, and then at the end of the final level it said: "to be continued...".

I was so frustrated because of that. I had to know how the story unfolded further! Turns out, the sequel will probably never be made... The main character is even voiced by Dave Duchovny... XIII was the coolest PS2 game I owned...

I am surprised that someone remembers XIII. It is a great game that I played on my GC back in the day and I agree, it does need a sequel. :(​

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
H.E.D.Z. It needs a sequel sooo badly, and preferably one with a lot less glitches and bugs! It was an utterly amazing game and it's definitely amongst my favourites to play, so a sequel would be wonderful. Tbh it probably does even new content, I'd be happy with just the game being remade bug free and with better graphics xD But a sequel would be great too, there'd be tonnes of new heads to collect and new levels and it'd just be awesome <3

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
Years
I know Peter Molyneux left Lionhead Studios, so the chances of this are slightly less likely, but what about another Fable game that goes back to the original 'bloodline' theme? At least a prequel to the original Fable would be nice. I know there's a Fable game coming out soon (Fable: The Journey), but after Fable III (really Fable II), the series kind of lost its touch and the last two games were family-oriented, which is a little... odd.

I mean, it went from this:
Spoiler:

To this:
Spoiler:

I mean, that bloke to the side of that last picture (with the pistol) is a narcissistic, sexually debauched killer who now looks like a child's toy. Guildford, we have a problem. This game either needs to avenge itself and go back to its original theme with a sequel (or prequel) or a complete reboot of the series.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Fable Heroes isn't a main game, it's meant to look cartoony and simplistic and it really has nothing to do with the series losing it's touch. Granted, It it stopped being any better than good after two, Journey (which, from the looks of it, isn't at all Family-Oriented, it's just different) and Heroes aren't related to that, they're just attempts at trying something new and making money. Personally, I don't think they should make another Fable game. Even though Peter made a crapton of unkept promises, the series becomes more and more restricted with each game (and this is including the ones not made by him). Now, if it were made by a better, more illustrious company then I'd be interested, but really, I don't see that happening.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
I'm drawing blanks right now, but the two series that come up are Genius' Sonority's Pokémon games (a.k.a. Colosseum and Gale of Darkness) and the Mega Man Zero and/or ZX series.

I grew up with these games and I just feel like there's something missing and they definitely need to have some follow-ups.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Of what I can think of off the top of my head, I feel Mirror's Edge needs a sequel. It seemed to cut off so abruptly at the end, especially considering what the ending scene was, exactly. Kind of sad, really, since it was so abrupt. I want to see another that elaborates on the storyline that occurred after more effectively than was left off, as it was not only obvious that it could be getting a sequel, but there were some obscurities in the game itself.

Back