• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Resizing and Inserting Overworld Sprites

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Hello to you all. I am Time, also known as destinedjagold before.
Well, anyways, this tutorial is for you to know how to resize and insert new OW(OverWorld) sprites in advance generation games.
I got this idea from two friends who asked me how to insert new overworlds, and how to resize overworlds.

Let's begin...

------------------------------------------------------
The things you will need are...
1. OverWorld Editor
2. OverWorld Resizer/Changer
3. MS Paint
4. Advance Generation PKMN ROMs(I used Ruby here)
5. VBA(Visual Boy Advance)
6. A spritesheet
Advance Notes...
This tutorial is not applicable if you wish to edit all frames of one sprite, e.g., the hero.
OverWorld Changer/Resizer automatically searches for free offsets, making myself feel it's a bit not safe to use.
For a safer tutorial on resizing framed OW, refer to Darthatron's OW tutorial...

Step 1...
Open your ROM with both OverWorld Changer/Resizer and OverWorld Editor. Find the OverWorld you wish to edit. In this tutorial, I will edit the male hero's overworld as well as it's walking movements, which is going down.
Spoiler:

Step 2...
If your OW has frames, just select what fram you are gonna change as well in the OW Resizer/Changer... Once that's done, click the 'Dynamic Offset' for you to change the size of the OW...
Spoiler:

Now, in this tutorial, I'll change the hero into a Ho-oh, with the size of 64x64, so what to do? Simply click the 64x64 button and presto! The hero's OW is resized! And became black... :\
Spoiler:

But do not worry about the OW being black at the moment.
Lemme change the frames 3 and 4 as well, since in RUBY, those frames are the male hero's walking sprites.
I'm gonna change the pallete to number 4 as well, since the palletes in number 4 are very like the same as of those to Ho-oh.

Step 3...
Now, I'm gonna search for another OW with the same pallete colour as I will use so I can use the palletes.
Spoiler:

Once you found an OW with the same pallete, save it in a place where you can easily see it.

Then open two MS Paint programs. In the first one, open your spritesheet, and in the second one, open the other OW with the same palletes as we are gonna use...

Spoiler:

Then copy the OW from the spritesheet you want to insert and paste it in the other MS Paint program where you opened the OW...
Spoiler:

Fix the palletes and your sprite to perfection, and then make sure the new OW is the same size as what we changed earlier, which in this tutorial, was 64x64, so make sure the size is also the same.
Spoiler:

After that's done, save it, don't save it as 'Save As...', just click 'Save' or ctrl+s.

Step 4...
Now it's time to insert it into the ROM.
Go to the OW which we changed the size with OW Editor, and then Import our new OW to it and click 'Save' and you're done.
Now make the other frames with the same steps.
Spoiler:

Step 5...
Now, it's time to test it in the game.
Here's a video of the result I got.

Well, that would be all.
I do hope you will find this tutorial very helpful.

Credits go to the creators of the hacking tools; OW Resizer/Changer and OW Editor...

Last edited:

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
looks great. I will try it as soon as I get the chance.
I really don't like hex...
Hey I got first post!!!!!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Nice job Time. (b'')b
I might try this one day, when or that is IF I need to. ;P

DarkShadow

When darkness falls
Years
Thanks time for this great tut im going to try that right now and see if i can do it

Last edited:

DarkShadow

When darkness falls
Years
i tryed to to this again but my result this time way the green background did not leave the thing like its not transparent what do i do?

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Doesn't Overworld Changer Screw up your ROM?

well, I do think it does... However, I haven't experience having my ROM crashed because of that tool, but because we can't find free offsets manually, I think it really does corrupt the ROM...
That is why I put in the Advance Notes there that Darthatron's tutorial is the safest way to go.

I better edit it. :\

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years

well, I do think it does... However, I haven't experience having my ROM crashed because of that tool, but because we can't find free offsets manually, I think it really does corrupt the ROM...
That is why I put in the Advance Notes there that Darthatron's tutorial is the safest way to go.

I better edit it. :\

Ah, okay. Thanks.
I might use Darthatron's tutorial, sometime later...When it's most important to insert Entei ;)

Good luck editing!

Years
  • Seen May 25, 2016
Usefull but the pallets

This is usefull, but is there a way to change the pallets? I geuss not?

Years
  • Seen May 25, 2016
I need a bomb to blow up the world!!! (JOKE)

Well, the palettes can be changed using OWE RE.

Anyway, question time!!

Does this tutorial work on D/P OW sprites as well?

Where did you download your OW Changer?

It doesn't work for me!!

If you mean by Diamond and Pearl Roms, NO! Try whack a hack if you have not downloaded it from there, Do you know how to change the pallets with that programme?

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
Years
If you mean by Diamond and Pearl Roms, NO! Try whack a hack if you have not downloaded it from there, Do you know how to change the pallets with that programme?

I have a whole OW sprite sheet for D/P.

I'm just asking if I can insert the some of the OW sprites in a GBA ROM.

Do you see a Sprite Info thingy down in the OWE RE?

That's how you can change the palettes.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2016
.......Life is good!

I have a whole OW sprite sheet for D/P.

I'm just asking if I can insert the some of the OW sprites in a GBA ROM.

Do you see a Sprite Info thingy down in the OWE RE?

That's how you can change the palettes.

You can insert them, but what I ment was how do I change the current pallet colours?

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2010
Hi, i'm creator of Owerworld Changer you can download the last versione here:

w*w.fileden.com/files/2008/3/12/1810430/Overworld_Changer.rar

There aren't bugs :)

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I really need an answer to this please..

I can't help you with that 'cause I have never encountered that problem...
Sorry, but maybe the sprite is hidden or maybe that person number's hidden in the map's level script?

Other than that, I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back