• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Here is my latest map.
vetus_town_by_rayd12smitty-d61zngz.png

The name of the Town is Vetus Town

The word Vetus comes from Latin meaning old. It is directly related to another town in my region called Novum town. Novum means new. The cave in the western side of town holds half of an ancient prophecy and story of the region. The second cave is located in Novum Town, which is accessed earlier. You encounter this town in between the 1st and 2nd Gyms.

Oh and there will also be Wingull and Pelliper flying overhead at most times, as well as some undersea Pokemon which can be seen through the water at times.

loving the graphics, they are amazing, it doesnt seem to be really "old" or anything, but other than that it looks pretty good and has a really nice feel to it. also, nice triforce reference :P
a thing I see wrong though is the flag post, the shadows around the houses have it more to the lower right, so the flag post should be the same way, but the town has a really nice feel to it. Good job!

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
loving the graphics, they are amazing, it doesnt seem to be really "old" or anything, but other than that it looks pretty good and has a really nice feel to it. also, nice triforce reference :P
a thing I see wrong though is the flag post, the shadows around the houses have it more to the lower right, so the flag post should be the same way, but the town has a really nice feel to it. Good job!

Thanks. The name is mainly referencing the cave and link to the other town. It's not necessarily an old town. I'll fix the shadow.

:D

Ramond Hikari

- Lonely Shooting Star -
Years
Nice job! The only problem here is the sand bank. The brown part of the sand bank looks like the one from a rocky cliff (Or it's just the colour of wet sand?). The rest of the map is excellent.

Oh...? Isn't the pattern on the flag a Triforce from Zelda series?

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
Spoiler:

Generia City. It either comes from generations or generic. Its supposed to be simple, its the second town after all. Ignore any tile errors, they are fixed.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Nice job! The only problem here is the sand bank. The brown part of the sand bank looks like the one from a rocky cliff (Or it's just the colour of wet sand?). The rest of the map is excellent.

Oh...? Isn't the pattern on the flag a Triforce from Zelda series?

Thanks:) I'm not happy with that part of the sand either. I'm kind of limited right now with tiles and only 3 layers. I am going to try a couple things and see what works. And yes that is a triforce

Arma

The Hyena
Years
"Sporefame19: While the map looks nice, it is a bit cramped. I'm not really fond of the narrow paths, nor the 1 block wide stairs. The water looks a bit weird too. I also don't think the "berry" grass patches in the upper-right corner should be there. IMO, the flower and bush combination looks a bit too busy, I think it'd be better if you remove the bushes.

I suggest making your map a few blocks wider, so you can space things out more evenly.

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
fcpPg6A.png

Just a route for my game Pokemon Amber. Sorry about the lines, in my absence I totally forgot how to take them away @__@

Obviously not available for anyone to use.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
fcpPg6A.png

Just a route for my game Pokemon Amber. Sorry about the lines, in my absence I totally forgot how to take them away @__@

Go onto Map View mode instead of Event View mode and press F4 to view all layers.

While I like the layout of the map the tiles you use ruin it for me. It doesn't look very natural to have grass and then rock without a tile that nicely connects the two.

Here's some of my stuff:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
Go onto Map View mode instead of Event View mode and press F4 to view all layers.

While I like the layout of the map the tiles you use ruin it for me. It doesn't look very natural to have grass and then rock without a tile that nicely connects the two.

Here's some of my stuff:
Spoiler:

The mountain map is nicely compacted (a good thing). There aren't really any open spaces for the player to get lost in, which is always nice. It would probably look better with some more vegetation (flowers mainly, that vary in color) There is another thing, though. The stairs leading down from the peak are way too long. I'd suggest pushing in part of the mountain in and splitting the stairway to avoid putting the player in a trance. Nice to see a mystery dungeon map on here - I see nothing out of the ordinary on them.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023

The bridge on the right somehow manages to connect to a layer one above its starting point. I agree with Rayquaza regarding the mountain tiles; either use a bordering set of tiles to start the grass off on each layer or have a smoother blend between rock and grass on the mountain tiles themselves. The bodies of water look particularly bad in this respect; I'd suggest a using a smoother tileset or ditching the water entirely, especially with the bottom edges being so far up; it appears as if you can walk behind them. I'll also suggest moving the sign up north to somewhere less in the midst of the path; possibly in front of the tree slightly to the right, or overlapping the two-tile path in front of the tree north of that. Other than that, nice work.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
Game: Touhoumon: Faith & Prayer Version
tumblr_mlr4lcCxQ91r1kfxfo1_1280.png

The Kanto Safari Zone was one of the biggest tourist attractions in Kanto, and the pride of Fuchsia City. Eventually, the Warden packed up and moved it to Johto. Unfortunately, this left the old one to wither. People sometimes visit it, just to wander around. But in the 10 years between RBY and F&P, nobody has maintained it, and it's been left to nature's devices.

The Abandoned Kanto Safari Zone plays a plot-critical point in Demo 3 of Faith & Prayer Version. What's the plot relevance? You'll just have to wait to find out!

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Double post:
Spoiler:

Route 1 for pokemon genetics. :I

Last edited:

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
It honestly just looks like you placed things randomly. The trees are perfectly symmetrical on the sides and it looks pretty plain. Maybe add some paths, spread some things out, try to be less random.

Another small thing which is likely a tile limitation for you, but only 2 buildings have shadows and the rest don't.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
tumblr_mlr4lcCxQ91r1kfxfo1_1280.png

The Kanto Safari Zone was one of the biggest tourist attractions in Kanto, and the pride of Fuchsia City. Eventually, the Warden packed up and moved it to Johto. Unfortunately, this left the old one to wither. People sometimes visit it, just to wander around. But in the 10 years between RBY and F&P, nobody has maintained it, and it's been left to nature's devices.

The Abandoned Kanto Safari Zone plays a plot-critical point in Demo 3 of Faith & Prayer Version. What's the plot relevance? You'll just have to wait to find out!

since it is from the original game itself I suppose the map looks fine, and I like the tall grass, but maybe add a few things like fallen trees or something, its just an idea but it looks pretty good like that, maybe some rundown buildings or something like that

Vury Big Image
Spoiler:

My World Map for a GBC RPG.

I would probably not be a good judge of this considering I don't know the style but I do not like it at all

Double post:
Spoiler:

Route 1 for pokemon genetics. :I

Personally I do not like the mountain tiles that came with gen three, nor do i like the grass one that is default with essentials, but I guess for lack of tiles its fine, but the map seems really plain, I dont like how you put the ledges along side the corner of the mountain on both sides, have a little ledge, and rocks to block the path, its weird the way you have it
I also don't like the square little area thats almost in the middle of the map that goes directly down from the stairs close to the left side of the map, it looks unnatural
other than that everything just looks plain

Sporefame19

Amateur Cartographer
Years
Lazaria Town (Starting Town):
Spoiler:

Oak Street (Route 1):
Spoiler:

Tampasia City (1st Gym):
Spoiler:

Rarecash Road (Route 2):
Spoiler:

Alkalase City (2nd Gym):
Spoiler:

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Lazaria Town (Starting Town):
Spoiler:

Oak Street (Route 1):
Spoiler:

Tampasia City (1st Gym):
Spoiler:

Rarecash Road (Route 2):
Spoiler:

Alkalase City (2nd Gym):
Spoiler:

Honestly, I think that all these maps look really good, particularly Tampasia City. I have a few nitpicks, and there'd be a few things that I would do differently but nothing game-changing.

There's a bit too much going on in Alkalase City, with 5 different types of buildings used. Maybe change the yellow building to the style of the green building? Also, I think the power plant building is imposing upon the street too much, making the space a bit cramped. And I'd lighten the colour of the road, although that's just how I'd do it. Otherwise good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back