• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Xbox - "A New Generation Revealed"

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
For those of you complaining about the Xbox One being more of an entertainment system rather being a pure video game system, it's necessity for MS because of the concerns of mobile phones and androids slowly killing the console and handheld markets, so video game companies are forced to adapt in order to compete with those phones by becoming multimedia devices themselves. It's why there's a lot of doom and gloom on Nintendo by analysts alike for sticking only to video games rather than becoming third party to make games for mobile phones.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
For those of you complaining about the Xbox One being more of an entertainment system rather being a pure video game system, it's necessity for MS because of the concerns of mobile phones and androids slowly killing the console and handheld markets, so video game companies are forced to adapt in order to compete with those phones by becoming multimedia devices themselves. It's why there's a lot of doom and gloom on Nintendo by analysts alike for sticking only to video games rather than becoming third party to make games for mobile phones.
The mobile market has hardly been a problem for Xbox, especially since those that play mobile games most are the same people that have Xbox's. Heck, I'd say that out of all of the companies, Microsoft is the one that's been impacted the least by the rise of the mobile market, especially because of their Smart Glass and Windows Phone 8 integration and they're lack of handheld consoles (which are the consoles that are hit hardest by this).

I'd say that the situation that's facing Nintendo is vastly different than what's facing Microsoft. They just want to utilize their Windows 8 OS into their console because they get more money if people use money on their system rather than cable, computers, and the like. This should work in their mind because the modern demographic likes to have all of their media in one place...but seeing how well that's working with the Xbox, putting such a heavy emphasis on it rather than the games themselves probably isn't such a good idea.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
This was the most frustrating console reveal I have ever seen. It only caused frustration for me and I cannot count how many things are wrong with the system. I'm probably getting a PS4 instead if I want multi-plats that aren't coming to PC.

this is how i feel, and as the reveal went on i got more upset, I tried to remain optimistic and say okay now they are gonna talk about what the system brings to the table for games, and instead all i herd is more crap about TV then some CoD garbage

Years
While I respect Microsoft have leaned hugely toward the entertainment aspects, I think it's pretty clear they're saving the games for the real game event (E3) which isn't a long wait.

I haven't liked the path MS have went down with Kinect, videos, rentals, tv etc. in the past few years, but I'm sure there'll be more than enough focus on gaming by the time the console hits the stores.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Just want to put it out there that neither nex gen console for Xbox OR Playstation will allow used games. I know its been brought up in a different section, but this was done to kill off the third party trade retailers like Gamestop.

PS games are going to be Download/Chip locked and Microsoft is doing the Download thing. My District Supervisor actually cracked jokes about this cause Gamestop bought Hancok Fabrics because they are about to lose a lot of money.

I'm definately late to this party since I found out about the Xbox One yesterday while at Gamestop. I didn't see anything about it not being able to play 360 titles but that sorta makes sense to me. I mean I've only ever seen Playstation as the console with real backwards compatibility.

I'm not too disappointed about this console mostly because is exactly as I suspected it to be. Only thing I found weird is it has a Bluray Player installed. I'm going to get it since I'm a gamer eventually.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Just want to put it out there that neither nex gen console for Xbox OR Playstation will allow used games.
Where did you get this from? It hasn't been confirmed or debunked. We still don't know.
@XanderO - where did you get that info? As far as I know Yoshida (Sony's executive) said that "used games can play on PS4" and "purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation." according to Gamespot.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/playstation-4-will-play-used-games-6404263
The latter sentence is reassuring but thinking about it could mean anything. You can still buy used games or use it anywhere on XBone, you just have to pay a fee to do that. I trust Yoshida though.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
Next gen. Xbox looks...absolutely....TERRIBLE.
I have a 360, and I hugely enjoy it, but the new console looks just simply bad. First off, it's hideous. The controller looks bad(I watched a video detailing it, I don't like it), the system is literally a box, and the innovation is gone. I think I'm going to just stick to my Wii U.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Haha, wow, I can't believe so many people were expecting something sensible and interesting from Microsoft. M$ is all about the money, guys!

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
Facial recognition Kinect.. Some camera always watching you. Check.
No used games (unless you pay some fee. The reason we buy used is because it's cheaper, duh.) Check.
Monthly subscription to do multiplayer. Check.
Always have to have internet connection. Check.
Ads all over dashboard.. Probably check. Why else would they want you to always have an internet connection?

Guess who's getting a PS4?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
@XanderO - where did you get that info? As far as I know Yoshida (Sony's executive) said that "used games can play on PS4" and "purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation." according to Gamespot.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/playstation-4-will-play-used-games-6404263

Where did you get this from? It hasn't been confirmed or debunked. We still don't know.

The latter sentence is reassuring but thinking about it could mean anything. You can still buy used games or use it anywhere on XBone, you just have to pay a fee to do that. I trust Yoshida though.

Emails sent to me at work to get ready for merchandise for these two specific companies. From what we were told by Sony, we're getting Download cards mostly with a "few" hard discs to ease the transition. We were sent the same thing by Microsoft, but based on other things I've heard Xbox One is supposed to be mostly Download as opposed to Sony putting Chips (which they have a patent on and forces the disc to only work on 1 PS system) and Serial Codes on their games.

It effects my work because like Gamestop not being able to take in new system games for trades, we will not be allowed to return PS4 games should there be any issues with them/return them because its not what the customer wanted/expected.

They even changed return policies in store concerning these two companies as both have changed their acceptable returns. Which makes my new position a slight pain because I have to process and then destroy the games if we return them opened.

The few stores we have that participate in trade ins for games aren't allowed to accept PS4 games for trade ins (as of yet).

I was also told the Xbox has a new payment for internet option which is a bit more expensive than the other incarnations. More movie support which i think was made apparent in the videos/news updates (I haven't had time to watch those.)

All I know about the PS4 is its supposed to still play older games, even an improved reader for PS2 game discs, as well as be able to download PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, and PSV games. Though that is really just traditional Sony.

Personally I expected Microsoft to do what it is doing. Just as Powerserge said, all they care about is Money. They have a pitiful customer service program. Hell even their employees don't like the newer system. I have to meet with the Microsoft rep later this week/next week so I can ask him some stuff about the console though we may have more info then. I'll ask the Sony Rep when she comes in about info on the PS4 if we don't get updated info, but my district supervisor already has me making changes to the electronic section and preparing our merchandise for the arrival of the new system(s).

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Heh, mock-ups I've seen for the PS4 actually look more like a toasted sandwich maker than a games console. d:

Anyway - the Xbox One! At first I was like "oh okay this is pretty cool, nice little feature to have" in relation to its whole TV control thing and I wanted to see more. Then I realised that what I thought was just a nice little feature is... the feature. Honestly, the more I watched the presentation, the more I felt like I was just looking at a really oversized voice-controlled TV remote. And while they want it to become a household essential (indeed, I believe it was described as the "next water cooler"?), it just seems to me like a seriously overblown and likely rather expensive TV accessory with gaming capabilities which is... yeah, not really a big jump from an Xbox 360. I wanted it to offer something really exciting for gaming and it just doesn't seem to be doing that. If I remember, despite its huge size they've opted for integrated graphics and a large heatsink for silence rather than a proper graphics card with a bit of noise, which to me doesn't exactly scream "this console is ready to handle next-generation gaming". Indeed, the processing power they've thrown at it over graphics power really makes me think they're much more heavily invested into it being a small computer than a gaming machine. Really quite disappointing given that, at the heart of it, the Xbox is a games console. So yeah... I'll wait to see what it can do in games at E3 but it seems they've settled with a more or less beefed up 360 as far as gaming ability goes.

What I do like a lot about it, though, is that whole snapping ability thing. Having Skype up on one side of the screen while gaming on the other is a pretty nice idea (assuming that can work, anyway). Also, I love love love the name. I think it's really clever and I can see why they picked it given what they're trying to make the thing do.

Years
Facial recognition Kinect.. Some camera always watching you. Check.
No used games (unless you pay some fee. The reason we buy used is because it's cheaper, duh.) Check.
Monthly subscription to do multiplayer. Check.
Always have to have internet connection. Check.
Ads all over dashboard.. Probably check. Why else would they want you to always have an internet connection?

Guess who's getting a PS4?

I think the connection is likely to be 'one login per day' as most of the game news outlets are suggesting at the moment and the reasoning behind it is the new licensing system to make sure you aren't just selling games and getting away with still playing them offline.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
With the Kinect always on how are you supposed to watch TV? It's already an issue with common words turning the Kinect off and such. The only changes I see with this console is that it is highly restrictive and invasive on privacy.

Honestly this generation of gaming is looking really lame, it seems like everything is just a rehash with better graphics all done for money.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
XBox One.... No thanks, I'll just stick with the Wii U as my main gaming console for this generation.

Years
Back