• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Used & Recycled

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
used_games.jpg

Do you tend to buy and play video games that were already used, and are labelled as 'recycled'? What do you think of used video games in general; do you think it's generally okay to buy used games, or, do you believe that people should buy newer games? What's your reasoning for that? But regardless; feel free to share your ideas!

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Buying used games is no problem, in my opinion, and is preferred unless you're a collector and really want a new copy. Sometimes, though, a used copy is only five dollars cheaper and then I'll just go ahead and get a new copy. But honestly? It's pointless most of the time.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'll buy used games, but it needs to have the box and not look like a trainwreck (unless it's too old to still have its box). I do prefer new copies, but hey, sometimes you just don't have the money. Used game shops are especially nice for buying old games from your childhood that you rented and never bought, or that you weren't able to get cause you know, when you're a kid, you don't have a job to buy them anyway.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I'll do it occasionally but I buy less and less from EB Games these days so the temptation isn't very high. Usually you can find the game cheaper when it goes on sale online. Before I had a credit card, though, the most affordable way to get a game was used so I went for it a lot more often.

Now the only reason to buy used is if the game is unavailable new, I suppose. So older games, generally. I'll buy used before I buy digitally at this point, though. I'm thankfully not seriously into it with gaming, but I am a collector at heart and I like seeing all my games on a real shelf. So if I have the option to get a disc and a box, I'll take it before I give up and download the game. (The only exception to no-disc is with PC games where I don't care in the slightest... but you can't really buy those used online anyway so it's a moot point in this thread.)

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I'm very cheap so I prefer buying used games. 99% of the games I own were bought used and they all work fine so nothing's deterred me from this way of life so far. Most of the time I forget that I have a credit card so I head around to a couple of game stores and pay with cash without looking online to see if I can find it for cheaper, but I still get the satisfaction of not paying full price so it's all good.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I don't mind buying used games. I just want the game and the outside box, to keep the game safe - especially when I'm going to give the game as a birthday present or as a Christmas gift.

In Pokemon I always want a game with it's box, I like to keep the empty box in display along with the rest of my Pokemon Collection.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
the only time I would buy a pre-owned game from a gameshop like GAME,
is if I can not find it online or new for over a month of searching for that game.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
New games whenever I buy them, unless it's a game that I can't find new or it to expensive new.

Infinite Space comes to mine. A new copy, sealed and depending on the version goes anywhere from 75 to 300 dollars. (Low end is the UK release, high end is the US release) A used copy? 25 to 75 dollars... and thats just for the cartridge, not including the case or any artwork. Used, with case and artwork, varies depending on quality but can go anywhere from 50 to 125 each.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I don't mind buying used games myself; but the majority of those games (ps2/3) look like the disk is scratched so much that it doesn't work. I can usually clean some of the fine scratches off, but not all of them.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I prefer to buy new. I collect the boxes. Which is why I'm not so fond of Steam. There's no magic in getting a gift to someone anymore. And, obviously, there's the deal where you don't know whether you legally own the game or not.

Right now looking into selling the pre-owned copy of Resident Evil Mercenaries my friend brought from the USA, because I didn't like the game and I would use the money to buy Revelations (which was the game I actually wanted him to bring). It didn't come with a box and it didn't feel "right" next to my other games.

I went as far as importing boxed copies of Pokémon HeartGold and Platinum, even though they're out of print, so quite expensive nowadays.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I generally like to get 'new' games, but I'll take used whenever it's a game that's out of print (sky-high prices and rarity otherwise.)

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I practically never buy used unless it's an old game that's out of print and unavailable new. I generally just wait for the game to go on sale or the price to drop, since usually it'll be cheaper at that point than buying a used copy.

Years
Up until maybe 2 years ago, I almost exclusively bought used games, since I didn't really care about what the case looked like or if it had instructions, etc. As long as the game was in good condition, getting the same game for cheaper seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Unfortunately, many companies are starting to charge you extra to play online if you buy a used game, whereas buying it new gives you a free online pass. Since the cost of the pass is generally the difference between the new and used game prices, I might as well buy the new copy and not risk the disc being scratched up or something.

Years
I might as well buy the new copy and not risk the disc being scratched up or something.
Well I tend not to have this problem as the place I go to has the most amazing scratch remover!!! You could ice skate on your game, and the machine they have at my local Play & Trade will bring it back to perfection for only $3. But they always check if games work if they are used right in front of you, and if they don't work perfectly they run them through the machine.

One thing about buying new games from my Play & Trade though, and I say my Play & Trade because I believe they are a franchise and are all run separately, is that for only $2 extra they give me a 2 year warranty to replace the game with a new one if anything happens to the old one. When I first got the warrant, they said I could literally buy the game, walk out the door, break the disc in half and come back in a ask for a new one. So I'm pretty sold on the idea of that.

TL;DR:
Spoiler:

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I mainly buy digital games now. But if i ever to get a disc copy I always buy it new. I am more inclined to buy a disc copy more for collectors editions and the artwork than to have the disc.

I often buy older out of print pre owned games but I don't really have an option on that.

People buying used games doesn't really bother me I just prefer to have them new.

Back