• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you do competitive battling?

So, do you battle competitively?

• No, never even tried

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I tried it and it wasn't my thing

• I battle, but not often

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I battle competitively often

• Total voters

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I've familiarized myself with some of the competitive battling aspects, but haven't really done any actual competitive battling. So no?

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I like battling other players over Wifi, but the choice items are really cheap and frustrating. I just wish people would battle normally using actual Pokemon Knowledge and Skill. Makes me understand why Gen one'ers exist.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I battle competitively, but I don't do it too often. This carries into in-game as well; I EV train my in-game Pokemon before pressing on with the story.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Outside of official online tournaments (where I average a 5w/1L ratio), not really. I don't spend much time on it outside of those tournaments. I prefer competitive games with a focus on teamwork and skill, not skill and dice rolls. So competitive Pokemon tends to be one of my last choices for spending free time. If Wi-Fi multi-battles were a thing, I'd probably be way into that. Hopefully XY brings some exciting changes like that (and a metagame not dominated by genies would be lovely too).

Edit: I've played about 8 matches since I made this post, (with 3 people leaving cause they lost and 2 more left cause their lead matchups sucked) another reason I don't battle much. But XY will fix this, so...yeah.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Occasionally? And only on Showdown. But I haven't done so in a long time other than random battles because I'm too lazy to build myself a team. I did enjoy myself though when I did have a few teams even if I lost most of the time because I fail at predicting the opponent's moves unless its by pure luck. But maybe someday I'll see about making a team to actually play with sometime. Don't know though.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
I've never seriously battled on my actual game, but I battle a fair amount on PokemonShowdown. I'd like to think I'm pretty decent, but I'm not the best even if I'd like to think I am and sometimes insist on that fact.

Years
Considering I know a fair amount of what does well in competitive battling and what doesn't, I gave up after a half-dozen battles, as I didn't find it that enjoyable. I still have a competitive ready team in HeartGold, I like dropping in Showdown for a randbat once and a while, and I love battling against others in person, but competitive battling just isn't for me.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I love competitive battling. It's a lot of fun. I mostly battle in the NU tier, and I do pretty well. My favorite team, however, is in my sig, and that's my grass team. I participate in tournaments often and my grass team has brought home three tournament victories. I also do some OU tournaments, and I do decently, often making it into the semi-finals, but I have yet to win one of those tournaments. All in all, I know a lot of the meta game and it's one of the reasons I'm still into pokemon.

OmegaTL

Time Lord
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
Yes, I love competitive battling.
Unfortunately, I haven't done as much of it as I'd like lately though.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
I used to love playing competitive back in the times of Gen IV, but have stopped playing since I'm not a fan of the gen V meta.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I used to but not anymore since I found it pointless after a while. I can see why others like it though but honestly it only made my battles boring to where I stopped playing entirely before finding a new reason to play in challenges now.

Years
I don't do it often but I love battling competitively. Even when my rear gets handed to me on a silver platter more often than not, I love training the Pokemon I befriended on my journey and use them against people from around the world.

Nowadays people clone/hack Pokemon and try to make them with perfect IVs and all, but the most I do is EV train them after having bred them with the moves I want/need. Most of the ones I EV trained are Pokemon I captured, and nowadays I just EV train them and grind in Black Tower to raise my budget back to where it was before I EV train the next one. I don't care much for Natures unless it really hinders me (for example, Jolly female Ralts)

Years
I don't really partake in competitive battling when it comes to battling NPCs in game because the levels are usually set in front of me, but I get a little more competitive if I'm competing with another player (either local and or wifi), and I'll definitely try my best to be competitive whenever I battle on Pokémon Showdown since usually the levels of those Pokémon are all set at Level 100 and because of move prediction as well.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I never did competitive battling. I know I couldn't beat anyone so I never tried

Victreebel's Bro

The Day Is My Enemy
Years
I play Pokemon Online every now and again, though I usually play ubers and sometimes lower tiers. I hardly ever play overused. I do plan on playing it on an actual game sometime soon

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I used to, but I haven't been serious with it since 2011 because I really dislike the community almost as much as the LoL community. Still got my VGC 2011 team on my White version, actually. I might get back into it at the beginning of gen 6 before decent metas are formed because it's like a competitive honeymoon period and you see some wild stuff.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2017
I've tried doing it a couple times using Showdown to simulate battles and I found competitive pretty interesting. I would like to get back into it and do competitive battling a lot more than I currently do, but I do find it confusing sometimes with the choices of pokemon, moves, hold items, EVs, IVs, and other battle options.

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
Years
Never really got into competitive battling. The most competitive battling I ever did was a Pokemon Tournament fundraiser we held at our school for one of our students with leukemia. It was a 25%/ 75% split for the winner.

I placed First, but not because I knew EVs or IVs. Just because I was the only one that paid attention to type advantages *I donated the majority of my earnings to the boy, I didn't need that money at the time*. So while I have never done the 'traditional' competitive battling, I have done some kind of competition with Pokemon.

Thought about actually going into the actual Competitive zones, but paying attention to EVs, IVs, Uber, etc. aspects, I decided I'll leave my battling to local events hosted by the community, and leave that to the people that actually can pay attention to it.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Nope, never have, and probably never will. I'm not a competitive person. I like co-operative challenges, where you work with others to achieve certain goals. In the end, I believe the only person I'm really competing with is myself.

Nakala Pri

I don't battle other people, but in the game, I'm like a fierce devil. >:3 I'll stomp, mash and punch anything which gets in my way... ehehehehehehehe!!! >:D

Yup, I'm evil. c:

Back