• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: 20th Pokémon Movie Announced

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
On the one hand, nostalgia is nostalgia and it's a great way to celebrate 20 years.
On the other...I kinda wished we got to see some S&M movies and see if they improve on the average at best movies that XY produced.

Having said that, if the S&M Legendaries aren't going to be in a movie, maybe this means they'll be fleshed out in the anime, which I can totally get behind.

Wonder if Mega Evolution/Z-Moves will be incorporated.

Years
Though it's not much to go off, I can't help but imagine it'll be better than the previous movies - that it'll actually be a good movie. Cheers and hopes that it is!

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
This is really surprising, but it's a surprise I'm quite excited about. Definitely a smart move on their behalf to continue #Pokemon20 with the movies as well, would be interested to see what other throwbacks they include in the movie.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
On the one hand, nostalgia is nostalgia and it's a great way to celebrate 20 years.
On the other...I kinda wished we got to see some S&M movies and see if they improve on the average at best movies that XY produced.

Having said that, if the S&M Legendaries aren't going to be in a movie, maybe this means they'll be fleshed out in the anime, which I can totally get behind.

Wonder if Mega Evolution/Z-Moves will be incorporated.

I think we'll see movies for Alola, and that this is just a movie to celebrate the franchise. The first Alola one will probably be on the legendary trio, and I could see the second being about the event legendary.

With the UBS either having a movie or an arc. The legends could still get both to maybe. I could see it go either way atm.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I find it surprising at least, since I was expecting Pok?mon to release another movie to tie in with Sun and Moon series. But then, I'm also psyched when seeing what makes Pok?mon anime in the first place. I hope the movie will turn out great!

Years
oh my gooddddd I am so happy atm like, too excited about this. Pok?mon is amazing and I'm so happy with this for the 20th anni. Never have I wanted to watch a Pok?mon movie so bad. The preview looks amazing.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Sure looks like it. From what I hear, Ash gets to meet Ho-oh. I just hope it is a remaster of the first series, but using some plot ideas that was originally attended in the original, like Ash winning the League, for example.

Years
Well that was kind of unexpected but at the same time I'm not too surprised.

Although I worry that it would be like Origins were the narrative suffered though the lack of focus. However, I do hope this movie will allow us to see how the series would of ended if it didn't become a long running one. It's about time we are told an explanation of that mysterious trailer for Pokemon the First Movie.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
That trailer was sure something... Not sure what to say. I guess I was hyped because the scenery (Pallet Town, I presume) was really pretty, Ho-oh cameoed, and "Mezase Pokémon Master" played, which I haven't heard in ages! :3 "It's been 3000 years.." ...okay, maybe a few months/years.. ^_^. Not to mention that the animators did that cool-yet-cliché sequence of having a facially-obscured character tightening/adjusting his/her clothes and grabbing items needed in preparation for adventure..

On the other hand, of course this movie seems to be gearing up to be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Pokémon franchise and embracing nostalgia is fitting and all, but a Kanto-saga retelling..? Really? -.- I mean, the Pokémon anime movies have been in a slump lately saleswise so the decision makes sense, but resorting to yet another continuity reboot/retelling (of sorts) is the last option I was looking forward to.. Then again, what else can the writers do? If they're retaining Ash and not using new protagonists, it seems hard to do plots that don't involve a legendary/legendary-ish Pokémon and don't involve a residential villainous team/crime syndicate.. In any case, I've been really soured by the repetitive usage of reboots and remakes and retellings in media franchises these days - especially when you're just redoing something that's already been told in a similar format, like what happened with the early parts of the Dragon Ball Super anime series and the Boruto: Naruto Next Generation manga series. Just because you can remake/retell something doesn't mean that you should; the technique should be reserved for select scenarios, in my opinion.. >_>. At least Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh! did nostalgia right - rather than just retelling something, they used old characters to tell new stories with Digimon Adventure tri. and Yu-Gi-Oh! the Movie: The Dark Side of Dimensions, respectively.

Regarding Ash's Kanto saga, if I wanted to revisit that, I would just rewatch the original series episodes.. >_>. And if the writers want newer generations to experience the "old era of Pokémon ", rebroadcast the original series on television and/or offer the entirety of the original series on digital platforms like iTunes or something. If we're going to be revisiting anything, I guess that I would like the writers to do something with the original concepts of Pokémon The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back prior to when it got modified into the version that exists today/prior to when Pokémon became a cash-cow franchise..

I guess the pacing will be interesting to see (depending if this is a single 20th-anniversary movie or a 20th-anniversary movie mini-series); both Pokémon Origins and Pokémon Generations have been criticized a bit in that regard.. I feel that the original series of the Pokémon anime had great pacing (prior to Johto, at least); even if there were filler episodes (as in, inconsequential to main plotline), all the episodes that I can recall seemed purposeful/meaningful..

LOL; Ho-oh's movie appearance gets shafted once again.. XD. Even if this just a "one movie" deal, I feel like it doesn't really count as a "movie Ho-oh appearance" by virtue of this just being a special case as a retelling of the original series, in the same vein as how Pokémon The Movie: Jirachi Wish-Maker doesn't really count as a Groudon appearance because the Groudon was fake and formed unnaturally.. Sigh.

It will be hilarious/strange if the "Never Trust A Trailer" trope applies here.. I mean, Ho-oh's gotten (figuratively) burned once before with the "Lugia vs. Ho-oh" trailer for Pokémon The Movie: Zoroark: Master of Illusions..

So maybe back to business as usual next year? The writers are kind of limited for Alolan legendary Pokémon to focus on - Necrozma and Marshadow are probably viable for standalone movies, maybe Solgaleo and Lunala and/or some of the Tapus/Island Guardians will feature in at least 1 movie if the main anime holds off long enough, although hopefully the implementation won't be too redundant in terms of "TV series vs. movies". The few options left seem like Silvally (and maybe Arceus again) and Zygarde, unless some random non-legendary Pokémon (like Pyukumuku?) is made to appear legendary like what happened to Lucario (you'll always be legendary in my eyes, Aura Pokémon :'( ).

It would be interesting if the region wasn't Kanto, but I highly doubt that it will be the case. Sigh...come on Kanto, you've gotten 4 generation appearances and a Nintendo 3DS rerelease (one of which you weren't even supposed to be in (Pokémon Gold and Silver), akin to the White Witch in the recent Narnia movie(s)), multiple anime features (original series during pre-Orange Islands saga, Hoenn era's Battle Frontier season, and whenever Ash goes home for an episode or two), an anime miniseries (Pokémon Origins), numerous references in Kalos (particularly wasting Santalune Forest's layout potential), innumerable manga cameos, and who knows what else - and now, a dedicated movie, most likely! Yeah, it's the Pokémon franchise's 20th anniversary and all and Kanto was first, but take a freaking break! 25th anniversary isn't even that far off and already it's expending most of the nostalgia I have for it, if any.. It's honestly one of my favorite regions after Hoenn, but the overexposure is getting a bit much.. Normally, this issue wouldn't be so much of a problem, but Pokémon is one of the few franchises where changes in location is an aspect that each set of iterations takes pride in..

So TL;DR - somewhat hyped yet disappointed that we might be getting yet another retelling, even amidst the 20th-anniversary festivities of Pokémon. I guess that I'll wait for more information, but retelling seems likely at this point, unless we're somehow getting Ash Jr....?

P.S.: Just gushing over the trailer's movie logo at the end; I love how it looks so 1980s/1990s in design and morphs to a modern 2010s-ish design, and even though I have more familiarity with the English counterpart, "Mezase Pokémon Master" conveyed a really nice sense of "adventure brimming with possibilities" along with being reminiscent of something from one's own past..!

P.P.S.: New hat's logo is ugly, tying with the ugliness of Ash's hat for his Sun/Moon outfit in which the logo tries too hard to be an abstract Poké Ball and fails miserably (all of Ash's other hats have nice designs, in my opinion). *shaking my head* Either reuse the original logo/mark or just sensibly stick to a nice-looking abstract full Poké Ball logo or partial Poké Ball logo like all the other hats have done..

Last edited:

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
Wait I'm confused it is a remastered stretched out version of the first episode ?

We don't know yet. It appears to possibly tell the who Indigo Saga over though. We'll see soon enough.

Years
Fenyx has a point. While this "retelling" of Ash starting out is a way to commemorate the 20th anniversary, I have been very sick of Kanto promotion lately and with the last XY movie being the worst-grossing Pokemon movie of all time, I feel this was only done just to try to avoid another box-office failure.

The 20th anniversary to me has been nothing but questionable decisions because it's shunting out so much stuff that should have deserved recognition.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Interesting, but not really liking the idea. If it is going to tell his journey so quickly, I fear that it will have failures similar to Origins.

We also need to remember though, if I am not mistaken, there was confirmation at the end of the last movie that included the Starting Pokemon for Alola. But I could be wrong.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I loved Origins as it was, but I think they skipped way too much time. I fear the same exact thing might happen.

If there is 1 thing I can't wait for about this movie is, a remastered version of the Spearow attack. I hope they keep the music or have ever better music.

Last edited:

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
Years
Holy cow, I wasn't expecting this! I'm so hype!

First of all, looks like we're getting the original saga re-animated, although it seems it'll be a retelling instead of just remastered episodes. I'm so pumped for that! I'm so curious as to how it'll go.

What I'm excited most about though is Ho-Oh. Ever since its mysterious appearance in the first episode, Ho-Oh has been rarely depicted at all throughout the series, and never given a main role in a movie or even an episode. The only other box legendary to not have a starring role in a movie was Kyogre, who only played a minor role in the Manaphy movie. Heck, the Regis had a bigger role in the Lucario movie. Of course, Ho-Oh was featured in an episode of Generations, but I don't think that counts.

Either way, I think that Ho-Oh never having any proper appearances in the anime is going to make this a lot more special. It's one of my favorite Pokémon, and this is where the loose ends of the very first episode will hopefully be tied up.

Although, I can't say. If it's just a retelling of the Indigo League, then Ho-Oh might just be a casual 10-second appearance, but even so, I'm just excited that we're getting this kind of movie! I'm excited to learn more about it, and hoping that Ho-Oh plays a special part in it!

Official art for the movie:

B4Sa4M5.jpg

Also...I guess we're not getting a SM movie upfront? I was really hoping to see one based on Solgaleo and Lunala. There could definitely be a couple made on the UBs.

EDIT: Also, I hear the original Japanese anime theme in the trailer! Awesome callback! :D

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Holy cow, I wasn't expecting this! I'm so hype!

First of all, looks like we're getting the original saga re-animated, although it seems it'll be a retelling instead of just remastered episodes. I'm so pumped for that! I'm so curious as to how it'll go.

What I'm excited most about though is Ho-Oh. Ever since its mysterious appearance in the first episode, Ho-Oh has been rarely depicted at all throughout the series, and never given a main role in a movie or even an episode. The only other box legendary to not have a starring role in a movie was Kyogre, who only played a minor role in the Manaphy movie. Heck, the Regis had a bigger role in the Lucario movie. Of course, Ho-Oh was featured in an episode of Generations, but I don't think that counts.

Either way, I think that Ho-Oh never having any proper appearances in the anime is going to make this a lot more special. It's one of my favorite Pokémon, and this is where the loose ends of the very first episode will hopefully be tied up.

Although, I can't say. If it's just a retelling of the Indigo League, then Ho-Oh might just be a casual 10-second appearance, but even so, I'm just excited that we're getting this kind of movie! I'm excited to learn more about it, and hoping that Ho-Oh plays a special part in it!

Official art for the movie:

B4Sa4M5.jpg

Also...I guess we're not getting a SM movie upfront? I was really hoping to see one based on Solgaleo and Lunala. There could definitely be a couple made on the UBs.

Actually Kyogre had a fairly large role in the Hoopa movie. But Ho-oH didn't show up, even though Lugia did. So Ho-oH is the only one that has little to nothing in the anime at all. Not even the show.

I am also really glad Ho-oH is coming back. I wish they would tell more about it. Like why has it showed up for Ash 3 times, but no one else ever sees it, other than after the Battle Frontier where Brock, May, Max, Brian, and Scott all see it with Ash.

As for S/M Movie, I am pretty sure Marshadow will have one, with possibly other Event Pokemon who may have not been in the coding yet for Sun and Moon. But I think the main season for this is because the Sun and Moon anime is supposed to be more story centric, I think.

I also think Ho-oH will have a bigger role. It seems like Ash will be getting a Rainbow Wing. As you can see it floating down in the poster.

Years
To be honest. I'm surprised too. I didn't expect this.
We don't have much information at this moment so I can't say many things about the movie.
I'm looking forward to it!

Years
The original japanese opening sold me, so whether it's a good idea or not I'm looking forward to it haha. Nostalgia is all part of why I can still enjoy and like Pokemon today.

Years

I could see a true SM movie focusing on Solgaleo and Lunala, but it probably won't happen until 2018 at this rate since the movies come out annually and 2017 is the anime's 20th anniversary so they're clearly focusing on that.

Back