• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

shiny hunting

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
so i've been shiny hunting more lately and was just curious for those of you that hunt, what's been your longest and shortest? i just got a shiny cyndaquil after 1900 SRs which is actually my first shiny by softresetting lol i normally get bored of it. my shortest was? i think it was a wurmple i got through masuda method in X after about 30 something eggs. like it was a quick hunt, i had just gotten a shiny swablu the day before and moved on to the wurmple hunt. only thing that sucked about that is that it evolves into cascoon and i was aiming for a silcoon lol i didn't feel like hatching more at that point though unfortunately.

Years
i hilariously got a shiny shellder after like 1 SOS chain in sun and moon, and i don't think anything can top that lmao. i don't remember what my second shortest was, but i knew i've gotten it through like five or six eggs of MMing which was cool!!

as far as longest? i think i was trying to hatch a shiny dreepy or something? and it took like...1200-1300 eggs. it was...SUCH a drag. @_@

Years
Shortest: Poipole at around 5-8 resets! I wasn't even doing it seriously, just figured I'd do a few and got one. it's so cute!!

Longest is Chespin. Think I was at 1-2k+ eggs and counting in X... still don't have. Gave up on it for now. :s

Years
I've only shiny hunted through Masuda breeding so far.
Longest for a single shiny was 2.100 eggs for alolan sandshrew. It tested my patience for sure xD
Shortest was was around 90 eggs I think.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I don't know what my numbers would be but I know when I got Sword I got a shiny Rookidee at 500 encounters.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
Longest was SR for a shiny Torchic starter in Emerald, which was about 4500 tries. Shortest was maybe getting a shiny after 250ish attempts during Masuda method breeding

Edit: actually shortest was getting that full odds shiny Poipole in gen 7. I got all 4 gen 7 games, and during the fourth playthrough, the Poipole gift was shiny. I was definitely shocked.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
The first and only time I ever shiny hunted was in Shield. I wanted to test the amount battled shiny hunting thing to see if it was true. I stopped keeping track after 999 like the game did, but it was definitely around 1,250 encounters. I was shiny hunting in the Slumbering Weald, and found three shinies before I even found a single shiny Skwovet... I left the route and then found a shiny Skwovet on Route 2. After that, I never wanted to shiny hunt ever again. I'm glad I tried it once, though.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
so lol i broke my record with hatching shinies, i just hatched a shiny eevee in less than 10 eggs. to be fair, i cheesed the method and got the odds down to 1/64. i'm going to try for a couple more shinies so i can get umbreon, espeon, and vaporeon. but yeah, that easily shatters those swablu and wurmple hatches lmfao

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Shortest shiny hunt was Masuda Method hatching for a Hattenna. It popped out in like ten eggs or so. I also got a shiny Magikarp pretty easily in X/Y, but there was an exploit where if you save and hatch 1 egg and its shiny, you could restart, swap out the parents, and hatch a different shiny species. I soft reset over the shiny Magikarp and got a shiny Pumpkaboo instead. I don't remember the specifics of the exploit, but a quick Google search of the swap trick led me here

Longest shiny hunt would probably be soft resetting for Yveltal in Sword/Shield. It's tough to find good teammates online to make it through the end of the Dynamax Adventure. It's also tough to beat. I got 3 shinies (Xatu, Torkoal, Dragonair) before shiny Yveltal appeared.

Years
Dynamax Adventures are rough, especially with AIs! I never did try actively shiny hunting there because of that.

Just remembered another short one I had, Mimikyu. Wasn't as quick as Poipole but I still got one within 100 eggs! If only I could have this same luck for ones I'm doing now lol.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
what, how =o

if you google "hatching shiny pokemon" in gen 2, you should be able to pull up a video that more accurately explains the details than i am about to attempt, but essentially, you use the red gyarados to pass down the "shiny gene". it can only pass to opposite gender offspring, though. so like the way i did mine was shiny gyarados (m) with an ekans (f). i get a female ekans from that who has the shiny gene, breed her with a (freshly caught) male ekans, their male offspring gets me a male with the shiny gene. i breed him with a female eevee who doesn't have the gene, i get a male eevee with the gene, breed with a female eevee who doesn't have a gene, then end up with a female that has the shiny gene. this "shiny gene" is not only a gene, but an actual chance of being shiny. because eevee has like a 78% chance of being male and the shiny gene parent can only pass that gene to opposite gender offspring, that's how i got my chances to 1/64 for a shiny eevee, because with the parents i'm using, female eevee has the shiny gene and the male eevee (who i traded from another game to increase chances of getting an egg) does not, meaning the male offspring will have the gene and the higher chance of being shiny. the female offspring, in this case, will not be shiny.

phew...that was an Attempt. a very basic way to narrate the route i took for this, but that's the gist.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
My longest hunt that resulted in a shiny(not the target) was full odds random encounters Kecleon in the tall grass in Y. Took over 7,000 encounters.

My longest shiny hunt, resulting in the target shiny found was Nidoran f

I hatched 3500 eggs using masuda method(no charm) and horde hunted simultaneously. I found 16 shiny male Nidoran, 8 Stunky and 1 5% Starly before the female sparkled. Was most surprised at hatching 3500 eggs without a shiny. The odds for masuda without charm are about 1/600 I believe.

My fastest shiny hunt was Meowth, 4 eggs.

Back