• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Poke Island (SE)

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Did you get the gajillion icons I sent? I forgot to ask about that...

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll just assume you did

Last edited:

Kine

Whatev
Years
Yeah, I got them. Sorry for not mentioning that. I know you've gotten the email message, and I got your reply on that, too.

Otherwise...

Well, people, I edited the first page with information regarding a Creative Worlds update on this. Again, it's not a ploy to get people to go, it's because I don't see a need to write everything up again here when nothing is really going on, here.

s l u g

arriving somewhere but not here,
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 2, 2023
Well the intro and the storyline is quite superb ^^

Renagadez

Skillful samurai
Years
You have caught my attention,normally I would just breeze through all these "never will be finished" pokemon games but yours stuck out to me,I love your idea of fusing the style of Mother games and put pokemon with it.And the concept is great :3 you imspire me to continue on an old project.I used the same mother style...but dont worry it wasnt pokemon. I just wanted to say you have my full support im rootin for yah

Kine

Whatev
Years
Nah, it's going to be finished, the absolute worst I believe will happen is that I'll end up settling for a super rush job. I'd have to literally be dead for me not to do the things I want to get done (it's all for the same reason I do everything on my sites... no one else is).

But yeah, I already know the stigma of RPG ideas never getting completed, I tend to recommend people don't get started on anything unless they really know how much of their personal time and talents (and even stuff they may not know) it's going to take. This one may not be finished for a long time but that's up to everyone else's discretion if they keep in contact with this or not, I'm not going to send out reminders or anything. That's not to say I won't make an announcement of completion, but it'll probably be small.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Having made some games before, I know the level of commitment that has to go in. It's not such a surprise that many people drop their RPGs before they reach even halfway completion, given how much effort they take. This one shouldn't be too much trouble though, judging by what I've seen. It seems fairly manageable, unlike my personal projects!

Kine

Whatev
Years
Actually, I sorta thought the same. I looked at how involved some RPGs are with all sorts of extras like fishing or... hmm. It's not coming to me now but a lot of RPGs have so much little stuff to actually do that you'd have to know how to program in.

EarthBound's system always seemed extremely simple in comparision, save for the rolling HP and the Battle Backgrounds, which is actually some sort of mathematical program running that. Otherwise, you walk, talk, and beat people up. Everything is in the story, not in how many extras you can cram into one game.

That's why I can't see this being cancelled. It's just too darn simplistic. Again, the worst that'll happen is I get frustrated, and it's just full of imperfections and I have to leave out a lot of special cutscenes/reduce the sprite amount to only what is absolutely necessary. In fact, I could probably do the bare minimum and get this done within half a year (or maybe longer, depending on sprites), but that would be lame.

When it comes down to it, the only things outside of the gameplay that the game would need is a way to make characters slide on ice tiles (like Pokemon, in that they don't stop until they hit an object, and as far as RMXP goes, I have a source for that), an underwater air meter/counter, wind to blow characters around (slightly), overworld objects that can do damage (damage tiles I guess) like touching fire, and a sort of bestiary, except that it's really specific and only records certain characters after certain conditions are met (so it doesn't even have anything to do with fighting anyone).

The last thing actually seems like the only really difficult thing to implement. Probably the building of rather than the conditionals, though.

I am also contemplating whether or not I should do a slot machine. I didn't before and it's kinda of pointless, but EarthBound/MOTHER 3 sort of have one. And as far as games go, in M3, Lucas can play video games but only as something to watch him do. You hear all sorts of sound effects as he's frantically playing, just for him to end up defeated and embarassed. Neat extra touch, though. I'm thinking about just going that route, in that I really cannot see the need for a slots game in this game. If anything, it's just a throwback to Game Corner. Eh, that's a last minute detail I may or may not add in when everything else is finished.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
If you look at the first post, he said it will only include the RBY ones, ie the first 151.

Have you tried RMXP.org for scripts? They might have something you need.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
I almost wish I knew RMXP better, because you seem to be pretty set on using it, Kine. All of those things are doable, but it would be so much easier for me to work with a familiar system as opposed to learning everything again. Oh well, guess I'll just go with whatever.

Kine

Whatev
Years
thompson - Just like what Wichu said, the game's setting is still based on the past, so it only involves the first gen plus the ones who were already revealed around the time of the first movie. And Pichu.

Wichu - Yeah, I have an account there, but it's been quite some time since I checked up on it. If I were to stick with RMXP, I'd see more about getting what I need, more specifically as far as compatibility goes. But since that seems so far gone, I'm just focusing on the graphics part now.

Perp- Not necessarily, I'm just stating what I know about because it's just easier to give for examples. I'll try to use BYOND either today or tomorrow, you wouldn't believe how busy this holiday vacation has been if I told you. First, I gotta get AB updated, though.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Just letting you know I'm on vacation in the US until mid Feb so I probably won't be able to work on anything in that time.

Kine

Whatev
Years
Let me know when you get back, if not already back. I think we can start a test bed pretty soon.

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
Are you the same kine that runs the Creative Worlds website?
Sorry for going off-topic.

EDIT: Yep I know those sigs.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2008
Your custom character sets are incredible. What you have so far is amazing, if maybe in need of a little decoration. Best of luck!

Kine

Whatev
Years
I don't think anyone quite understands the multitude of character sprites that's going into this game. I plan to eventually write about this on my site whenever I feel like updating it.

I mean, there's so many Rattata and Pikachu (for examples) variations it's borderline ridiculous. I haven't really done much more with the landscapes, but I already know each area has it's own set of scenary (different houses, etc).

Little details like this make me feel like I'm probably doing a lot more work than was even put into MOTHER 3, but knowing what I know, that isn't fair to say, because MOTHER 3 had to be cut down some just to fit into the GBA cart. However, the satisfaction will be worth it, I feel. I just hope people actually notice this (maybe I should include a statement in game that says HEY! Pay attention to the scenary!) It may be minimalist, but there'll be a lot to take in.

I swear, the production time will probably take the longest because of graphics alone. Scripting events can't possibly take as much time.

And that brings me to the test bed, because I will hurt somebody, a lot of somebodies, if I end up 100%-ing the graphics and can't do anything with them (that's not supposed to be a threat, heh, but just an idea of how upset I'll be).

And I wanna be able to just get right into finishing up the game by the time graphics ever reach completion. So having everything else tested and coded on the side will make the transition and process easier/faster.

Perpet8tor, I'll probably have to get back to you on the weekend with the full details of what we'll use, but I wanted to know if you knew about this engine, as I found it while you were gone. I admit I'm still not 100% rock solid on an engine yet, but I'm going to finalize it by the end of March, that's for certain. Time is...well not money in this case, but precious life, at least!

So anyway, heard of OHRRPGCE? If not, it's okay. I just saw it was mentioned while reading about another not-really-useful-beyond-a-dash-function upgrade to RPGMaker topic at Starmen.

Here's some stuff off hand that we'll have to test out during the time graphics are being made:

- Battle BGs (if using Byond)
- Caterpillar style party (up to six people, although you wouldn't control that many)
- Along with the above point, making a sort of helper character that can't be controlled in battle, but can't be harmed, and does random actions on their own (people who played EB even for a minute, think King/Pokey/Picky).
- Otherwise, up to five party members in battle that can be controlled.
- Dash function
- A kind of dynamic way to change landscape (it'll change probably by a fade out, but I mean to replace a sort of daytime version with a nighttime version. It's probably really easy, but I'd manage to fumble that up somehow)
- Sliding tiles, like ice tiles in Pokemon where when you touch them going a certain direction, you keep moving until you hit an object/wall/not-ice tile.
- Damaging tiles/objects in the overworld.
- Hp reduction system (does not have to be graphically spectatulor like EB/M3, just perhaps an incremental countdown after you get hit to the new total, as opposed to just cutting straight to it. If it can't be done easily enough, no big)
- A way to sort of have an event happen just because you did/didn't do something, but it's not a real event. For example, which doesn't exist in this game, you walk off the mountain ledge and a "cutscene" kicks in of you falling down from where you walked off, fade out, fade back in to you being in some particular spot X where you get back up. Game goes back to manual, and you'll have to try climbing up again now knowing what not to do.
- Underwater air meter/timer.
- Way to replenish said meter.

That's about all that comes to mind. Beyond those particulars, the game should be fairly straight foward construction.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2008
Please accept my generic words of encouragement. You are very talented, and if not for our sake, for the Mother series' sake, the show must go on!

It's good that you have specific plans in place. This is always good.

Dude, if you need any help with overworld background graphics or something, drop me a line, PM-wise. I can try my hand at the Mother 3 style.

If not, I won't be hurt; I wouldn't let anyone else get near the graphics if I was making a game.

Good luck.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Ok, looks like you have a good list of things to do there. It's all looking quite possible. As for that engine, I'm afraid I've never seen it before in my life... In terms of it any any other games-making engines though, if you use it you'll most likely be able to do the game completely on your own with no assistance (which could be beneficial to you I guess) as opposed to using a coding-intensive language such as DM (BYOND). While I can definitely do all of the things you've listed so far with BYOND, it's really a decision that should be made based on what you'd prefer. I'll be fine if you don't need me in the end as well.

Kine

Whatev
Years
feltpens, if you'd like to try your hand at BG objects, I could have you start on something small like grade school supplies (scissors, crayon box, microscope, etc). If you wanna do it, I'll send you a lot of M3 BG objects just to get an idea. Or you can do house interiors, most of which I can probably do anyway as that's mostly game ripped.

Perp, I dunno so much if I'd wanna use something too simple, because I feel like the professional like presentation will be lost.

I did forget to mention one more thing on the list, the most important, a kind of bestiary, like a Pokedex, except that it only records important characters through events and not enemies through battle. Kinda like Astro Boy: Omega Factor for GBA if you've played it.

It's like some kind of photo album, and it's set for one of each Pokemon (157 was it?), and in two cases, 2 of the same Pokemon. So it'd be a list of 159 all together. It's not necessary to complete, and since the game is closed ended (ends when the game is over), you'd have to get them all midplay, but it's an extra that was supposed to be in the original game, for the sake of giving every Pokemon a chance to have a role, something that later, Poke Tales, would take further.

Back